• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 macjay

macjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

A family friend of mine is under the impression that the cheap Jay Car audio systems are often as good as the well known, more expensive systems most people seem to be running.
Anybody tried any of their audio products?
General thoughts?

#2 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Never used their products, I always stand by the saying 'you get what you pay for'

#3 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

'you get what you pay for'

Not always the case my man.
Jaycar Kevlar speakers, Forking amazing. Response Amps work really well. Ive never had a sub from them. But ive heard they are really good.

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

I had their 6x9's in the back of my Commondoor, hooked up to a Sony HU.

Seemed to work fine.

edit: The kevlar ones like what Simon says.

Edited by RX25SE, 06 August 2013 - 09:53 PM.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#5 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:55 PM

They aren't as cheep as i thought they were just checked the website then  

Although if you look what speakers steve meade is running or any other audio buffs car i bet they aren't the cheapest ones.

Just comes down to what your going to use it for. Everyday use you dont have to go overboard with great speakers.

#6 Sic'Em

Sic'Em

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

People have raved for years about JayCar audio, Response Amps, etc. They seem to be good sound for price value, might be worth a shot? Then you can do your own tests and let us know the outcome. :)

I've ran a Pioneer deck, Kenwood speakers, JVC/VDO Dayton subs, Generic 1000w amp in my other car for years, and it all sounded crisp as to me, and both 12" subs absolutely slammed with the amp at 1/4 throughput, No capacitor either, but it does have 8 guage wiring for power and proper OFC speaker cabling.

Just depends how fussy, and how good your hearing is. The right set up makes all the difference. Don't put high end speakers in your car and hope for the best... sound matting, etc helps the outcome.

A decent head unit, proper power cabling, proper speaker cabling, sound proofing (dynamat), box tuned subwoofers, capacitor, etc... = win.

gpgqp80.png

2001 MY01 WRX
3" TBE - Lightened Fly Wheel - Heavy Duty Clutch - Pedders Lowered Springs - Colour Coded Side-Skirts - 18" Rims

Autronic ECU - Tinted Windows - Multipoint Immobilizer - Multizone Alarm - Turbo Timer - Strut Bars

#7 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

Hi,

This

A decent head unit, proper power cabling, proper speaker cabling, sound proofing (dynamat), box tuned subwoofers, capacitor, etc... = win.

Then anything will sound decent.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

I run JayCar's kevlar speakers in my Subaru. Fantastic value for money.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

I need a replacement for my fronts and will probably do the rears at the same time. Just on the stock head unit etc because buzzing like crap now. Thats my next project anyway.

#10 macjay

macjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:30 PM

Maddd, cheers for the input guys, I may invest in some Jay Car equipment as soon as I get some $$ together.
(definitely wiring it all up properly with good wire, and sound proofing my shit.)
Another concern of mine is changing my head unit.
Got an 06 liberty 2 weeks ago, and Im struggling to think of the best way to install an aftermarket headunit.
Image below. Any suggestions?

https://www.google.c...99.html;300;225

#11 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'm running Jaycar kevlar 6.5 splits in my front doors and with a good amp behind them, They are forking amazing!

So good that I've decided to just run front speakers with a sub.

Damn good for the money!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#12 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

Im curerntly using a Jaycar Paper Cone sub ($75?) in a generic, non ported Aeropro sub box, using a Response 4X100WRMS amp ($300). The front factory spilts are on one channel and bridged rear channels to run the sub. If you are tight on cash (like I was/am) This provided a MAJOR improvment over the standard system. You don't have to fork out for new speakers yet, I am extremely pleased with the sound quality from the OEM splits with just an Amp behind them and decently EQ'd. The sub is excellent value for how much it costs. It's very efficient though and so it respondes very well for the little amp I use to power it, but isnt very tight and doesn't like low fruqencies.. Having said this, I don't like a dickwad of bass like most people and so I don't really have a problem with it's limits. Capacitors IMO, are more for looks than function... Whilst they may have their purpose in high current systems (such as two large subs etc.) as long as you upgrade all your earthing points, you should be fine.

If you do feel the need to upgrade fronts, like most people have said, the Jaycar Kevlars are extremely good for how relatively cheap they are and if you search around, can usually be found on special.

As for head unit install. If you pop your head into liberty.asn forums, they are super Gen 4 orientated and there should be more than enough threads to give you an idea of how to go about it :)

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#13 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

I rate Jaycar stuff. Excellent quality

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#14 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

I believe the aftermarket head unit facias are fairly expensive for the gen 4. Definitely jump onto liberty.asn.au to see what the latest is.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#15 seanmau5

seanmau5

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

There is a double din fascia kit available for the Gen 4 Liberty from Japanparts, avoJDM or Garage 88 based here in Sydney. The kit costs approximately $400 landed and comes with everything you need to install a double din head unit - fascia, double din brackets, HVAC controls and aftermarket antenna adapter.

http://www.avojdm.co...products_id=200

There are a number of different variations available; single or double zone climate control, silver or black & pre/post facelift. Easiest way to do it if you are unsure is to order through Garage 88, tell them the colour you need and the zone and it can be ordered for you.

#16 macjay

macjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:21 PM

You guys are champs! thanks for the info, advice, and general sharing of knowledge.
I'll check out liberty.asn forums about the head unit, though ill probably end up going an OG glove box install. Cash is tight as an apprentice.
You guys also have me convinced that the kevlars will be a good investment. + Amp, sound proofing, good wiring.

Come at me overtime.

#17 macjay

macjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Speaking of money. Anyone want to buy an xbox 360? ;)

#18 seanmau5

seanmau5

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

You guys are champs! thanks for the info, advice, and general sharing of knowledge.
I'll check out liberty.asn forums about the head unit, though ill probably end up going an OG glove box install. Cash is tight as an apprentice.

All the information you need to know is right there^

#19 ricco

ricco

Ricco

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

i worked for jaycar for 8 years, we went in a comp against all the big names back in 2011 and came first in all the classes, can say the speakers and amps are great, we have no real subs left in the range, they started to sell vifa which is a great brand but they stoped that, depends on what state u live in ia m nsw i can get them DIRT cheap for you,

#20 macjay

macjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

Cheers Ricco, Unfortunately I'm from Victoria, but thanks anyway! From the feedback everyones given im definitely gonna give them a shot :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users