Photo

Best ej block for a monster turbo build?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 jimmyg

jimmyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

PS I had a shiny new ej257 in its box stashed away for 2 years till i saved up to build my new motor. Just gota want it enough. :)

#122 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

Arrrrr!! Curve ball. :(

Just put a cheap a chips motor in it to get around with and start building your fire breather in the back shed. As said you just have to stay on the job till its done. ;)

The larger the cylinder bore gets the less space in the block there is to fit the sleeve. To make room you have to machine the block away and use a thinner the sleeve. The lose of this metal combined with an already weak alloy block (vs its cast iron counterparts, 4age, 4g63, sr20 etc) construction makes for reduced rigidity, strength and over reliability in high HP builds. 

Sure you can build a ej25 to make big hp but invest the same effort into a ej20 and imagine how strong it would be!

Hence why I started with a 2.5 na block. For some reason. For some reason, they have thicker walls that the turbo blocks. Sleeves and close decking to that, beautiful. Did you get a chance to see the billet blocks they were making down south???? They added a lot more meat between the outer case and the bore walls so it actually ran flat instead of the Subaru design.

The other benefit of the 2.5 over the 2.0 is the increase in torque.

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users