Photo

Best ej block for a monster turbo build?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#101 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

+1 yep she was already on the way out.

Yeah unfortunately, lucky I found a replacement the day it let go, hopefully this one isn't too bad

#102 12.SLOW

12.SLOW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

As you see I had a lot of problems with it but I got all it fixed and u got it cheap as shit for wat I lost but got a foz now

If You Dont Love Your Car Love Your Mum 

Slower Then The Rest 

50.CYA

YAMAHA R3 2015

#103 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

What about buying a 02-05 STI to start with? Already has awesome brakes, gearbox, suspensions and all the other 1000 parts you will need. Probably wouldn't cost more to buy than what a conversion will cost and won't be as weathered..

#104 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

What about buying a 02-05 STI to start with? Already has awesome brakes, gearbox, suspensions and all the other 1000 parts you will need. Probably wouldn't cost more to buy than what a conversion will cost and won't be as weathered..

Liberty shell is lighter im pretty sure :P

#105 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

Lol

IM47Gcv.jpg

#106 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:32 AM

Liberty shell is lighter im pretty sure :P

tumblr_lthhihJULx1r4alnuo1_500.jpg

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#107 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I honestly would rather a gen 2 liberty and make it a sleeper compared to a sti >.<

#108 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

GifLOL.gif

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#109 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

kerb weight of gen 2 lib rx is 1340 or somewhere around that, sti is 1500?
Abit of weight reduction on the gen 2 with a conversion would have the car at roughly 1400? Dont think a tmic and turbo would be that much heavier would it? Depending on size of course

#110 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

kerb weight of gen 2 lib rx is 1340 or somewhere around that, sti is 1500?
Abit of weight reduction on the gen 2 with a conversion would have the car at roughly 1400? Dont think a tmic and turbo would be that much heavier would it? Depending on size of course

an Sti would have a kerb weight around mid 1400 give or take a bit.

i cant see you gaining 60kg with an engine conversion and doing weight reduction.

and also, doing weight reduction when you are trying to keep it sleeper to me seems contradictory? wouldnt weight reduction make it less sleeper so to speak and stand out more?

#111 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

The regular STI's engine output stood at 275 PS (202 kW; 271 bhp). The car weighed 1,240 kg (Worth noting this is GC8 Variant)

T he Gen 2 GT introduced Subaru's new Sequential Twin Turbo. These models were still using an EJ20 2.0 L DOHC engine, shared with the RS. Curb weight 1,422 kg

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#112 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

an Sti would have a kerb weight around mid 1400 give or take a bit.

i cant see you gaining 60kg with an engine conversion and doing weight reduction.

and also, doing weight reduction when you are trying to keep it sleeper to me seems contradictory? wouldnt weight reduction make it less sleeper so to speak and stand out more?

Not if its weight they can't see :P coilovers I'm sure would give some weight reduction, remove spare wheel, lightweight piping (aluminum) instead of stainless/mild steel. Just those little bits and pieces that all add up to remove some weight :)

#113 owen1r

owen1r

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

+ 1 for starting with a STi, chassis is much better for going fast.

Also you could do exactly the same weight saving and end up with a sub 1200 kg car.

#114 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

The regular STI's engine output stood at 275 PS (202 kW; 271 bhp). The car weighed 1,240 kg (Worth noting this is GC8 Variant)

T he Gen 2 GT introduced Subaru's new Sequential Twin Turbo. These models were still using an EJ20 2.0 L DOHC engine, shared with the RS. Curb weight 1,422 kg

Im not comparing with the gc8, comparing with the 02 - 05 sti's

#115 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

Id personally listen to peoples advise on this.

If not start up a build thread and get some pics up

#116 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

Id personally listen to peoples advise on this.

If not start up a build thread and get some pics up

I am, as much as I love the gc8 sti's I hate the stereotypical look of an arab driving one of them around, I'd cop so many bad looks and the cops would be on me 24/7 :L

#117 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

I understand that.. I dont like GC8`s.. except 22b`s..

Buy a cheap wrx cut convert it to the point where its driving then upgrade it.. Doing this you will get past 90% of the conversion work without spending much money. And give you lots of time to work on the new built engine.

You are gonna need lots of parts off a wrx for the conversion.. plus you can sell the rex engine when you put in the big built fella.

#118 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I understand that.. I dont like GC8`s.. except 22b`s..

Buy a cheap wrx cut convert it to the point where its driving then upgrade it.. Doing this you will get past 90% of the conversion work without spending much money. And give you lots of time to work on the new built engine.

You are gonna need lots of parts off a wrx for the conversion.. plus you can sell the rex engine when you put in the big built fella.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, or find a wrecked gen 2 converted lib and straight swap that for an easier conversion?

#119 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

In sure jrod and a few others can agree here..
Building a monster engine over time seems good in theory buti can pretty much guarantee 12 months after you start. You will be sick of waiting/ loose interest.
Conversion to v3/4 sti initially then build a ej22 block to swap over.
Be realistic with your power figures though..

Don't care what cars are lighter etc.. Just build the engine in the car you like. .

Money wise. It's all a waste.. But then you could spend your weekends in the garage or out drinking.. or any other activity that costs money.. is a hobby. You do it for fun.

Dos this thread have to continue..
These threads are always an argument over what car is better... There is a Mechanical choice then there is the enthusiasts choice. ..
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#120 jimmyg

jimmyg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

Arrrrr!! Curve ball. :(

Just put a cheap a chips motor in it to get around with and start building your fire breather in the back shed. As said you just have to stay on the job till its done. ;)

As for a 2.5 being not as strong as the other for big hp Jimmy, what brings you to this conclusion?????

The larger the cylinder bore gets the less space in the block there is to fit the sleeve. To make room you have to machine the block away and use a thinner the sleeve. The lose of this metal combined with an already weak alloy block (vs its cast iron counterparts, 4age, 4g63, sr20 etc) construction makes for reduced rigidity, strength and over reliability in high HP builds. 

Sure you can build a ej25 to make big hp but invest the same effort into a ej20 and imagine how strong it would be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users