#1 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

So I have been running without a BOV for a while now and I love the responsiveness of it but I was thinking of getting a hybrid BOV from turbosmart. Pros and cons? Plumb back plumbs back some hot air (not really). Atmo is rice. Flutter is VL so hybrid may be the go. Adjustable so I get some flutter. Yes?

Posted Image

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:28 AM

A good plumb back BOV will work fine. The sound is for **** factor only.
TSM

#3 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

Mate a HKS SSQV delivered some good sound on the STi, depending on your turbo setup you shouldn't have a problem, although it's a tad exxy for HKS, Turbosmart is a good Aussie brand, and if you can find a similar item I'd go for it. The high pressure BOV sound isn't for **** factor, Pauls just jealous. But honestly it's a much better sound then Skyline flutter, and will turn heads like boxer burble. Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#4 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

How isn't it for **** factor? You'll acheive exactly the same results with no BOV or a plumb back!
TSM

#5 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

But honestly it's a much better sound then Skyline flutter

Hush now!

Is there a reason you want a bov if it is working well for you ?

Stuff goes here

#6 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

Is there a reason you want a bov if it is working well for you ? [/quote] I was just thinking of longevity of the turbo. But really all I want is the best performance. With no air leaks I get on boost sooner and harder with no BOV. Just seeking opinions.

Posted Image

#7 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:56 PM

How isn't it for **** factor?

You'll acheive exactly the same results with no BOV or a plumb back!

Paul it's a big call to say a BOV is simply a **** factor item, especially when you drive N/A, it has it's uses, especially the HKS SSQV, ask most mechs and they'll agree. End.

That aside, my opinion Rob is definitely investigate the TurboSmart Hybrid further, you've nothing to lose, in past circumstances TS have been pretty customer friendly with inquiries, I'd chase testimonials, they don't have to be off Soobie owners to be of help. I'll try and ask around for any guys that have tried, heard of or actually run it.

Nick

PS: How'd you go with the MBC? Get it fixed up?

#8 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:03 PM

Paul it's a big call to say a BOV is simply a **** factor item, especially when you drive N/A, it has it's uses, especially the HKS SSQV, ask most mechs and they'll agree. End.

That aside, my opinion Rob is definitely investigate the TurboSmart Hybrid further, you've nothing to lose, in past circumstances TS have been pretty customer friendly with inquiries, I'd chase testimonials, they don't have to be off Soobie owners to be of help. I'll try and ask around for any guys that have tried, heard of or actually run it.

Nick

PS: How'd you go with the MBC? Get it fixed up?

nick i think he is refering to the noise not the BOV...i hate the noise..especially as most wanker do it on purpose right beside you

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#9 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:06 PM

nick i think he is refering to the noise not the BOV...i hate the noise..especially as most wanker do it on purpose right beside you

Point taken, sorry then Paul. Same problem as loud exhausts really, always have those who take it too far, but still sounds better than flutter....

Nick

#10 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

Nik, Shane's on the money. Paul is saying that the atmo is a ****, not BOV in general.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#11 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Exactly Luke. I did make it pretty clear. Rob - It's been a point of conjecture for a while, the benifits of actually running a BOV on a standard/mild street turbo engine. It seems that 75% of the people would argue the turbo can handle the compressor surge. If you were running substantially higher boost, I would be more concerned.
TSM

#12 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

15psi on the primary. 17 on secondary. But I think that the exhaust valve opening at 4000rpm releases some of the pressure in the manifold so it kind of doesn't need a BOV. VOD is BOV

Posted Image

#13 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

VOD is BOV

Haha, Hmm Twins....

I've got a spare STi wastegate system sitting in the garage if you're interested in mucking around with configs. I'm still for BOV, but hey, I'm not a Twins person. And I like the sound.

Nick

#14 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

what the f*ck are you talking about Nik? Dead set, shut up. Rob, at the end of the day the BOV is totally a personal choice in regards to what you want to use. I will say that most good aftermarket BOV's (ATMO or otherwise) will have less tendency to leak than the standard items. Purely due to the age of the items. Its my opinion that running such boost pressure on small turbo's is more detrimental then no BOV. Due to the heat generated by the small compressor having to spin at insane speeds to produce the desired boost pressure. This in turn would not be awesome for the engine either (Hot intake temps) . I know this is a tad off topic now, but remember that the more heat the turbo produces the less actual air it will flow. The hotter the air gets the more volume it uses, the higher the pressure but less actual oxygen. By that theory you could make more power with less boost, provided the turbo's are out of their efficiency ranges at that boost pressure. /offtopicrant.
TSM

#15 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

Rob, at the end of the day the BOV is totally a personal choice in regards to what you want to use.
I will say that most good aftermarket BOV's (ATMO or otherwise) will have less tendency to leak than the standard items. Purely due to the age of the items.

HIT

Its my opinion that running such boost pressure on small turbo's is more detrimental then no BOV. Due to the heat generated by the small compressor having to spin at insane speeds to produce the desired boost pressure.
This in turn would not be awesome for the engine either (Hot intake temps) .

I know this is a tad off topic now, but remember that the more heat the turbo produces the less actual air it will flow.
The hotter the air gets the more volume it uses, the higher the pressure but less actual oxygen.

By that theory you could make more power with less boost, provided the turbo's are out of their efficiency ranges at that boost pressure.

/offtopicrant.

yuh yuh. What is the efficency of these hairdryers ?

Some of the blokes I hang out with (that drive nissans) are running up and past 200kw with no BOV's and no issues with dead turbos from compressor surge. Is it maybe a ceramic shaft issue ? most of them have BB based turbo's

Stuff goes here

#16 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

Ceramic shafts? I thought they had Ceramic compressor's? Which are shite. (Which just goes to show how much of an effect it WON'T have on an VF series turbo, as they're all steel.)
TSM

#17 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

Ceramic shafts?
I thought they had Ceramic compressor's?
Which are shite. (Which just goes to show how much of an effect it WON'T have on an VF series turbo, as they're all steel.)

that one soz (see, still noob)

Stuff goes here

#18 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:02 PM

Opening a can of worms I have. My car being auto, each gear change doesn't drop any boost so no flutter. I am not entirely set on my boost level as my wastegate is not ported so some spiking occurs. But the turbos are vf20 and 21's. As far as I know only auto gtb's have these turbos. As far as hot air goes I have a standard cooler so don't want to push it. But I would like to know, can I overspool my primary? And will a 14psi wastegate be better than a bleed valve? Oh the evolution of my thread!

Posted Image

#19 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

By "overspooling" do you mean, root it? Because thats essentailly what you're doing when you wind the boost up. No idea on the bleed valve sorry.
TSM

#20 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

OK...... forget all the other shit that is on here and go out and buy one..... put it in and drive it. After you have driven it, get out a pen and paper and draw a really big T on it...... on one side above the T write "pros".... under this heading you write down all the things you like about your new BOV...... On the other side above the T write "Cons".... under this heading you write down all the things you don't like about your new BOV. Next to each "Pro" and "Con" that you have written down on your piece of paper write a number from 1 to 10. This number represents how strongly you feel about the "Pro" or "Con"...... after you have finished add up each side and write down the tally under neath each column. The highest score wins. Problem Solved, don't listen to these dipshits :P

Just Married

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users