• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

lol, Flutter does NOT do any damage to a Turbocharger in any street car circumstance.. The pressure going "backwards" does not have the force to damage the compressor fins. When people say it "goes back through the turbo" 'Bends fins", Spins the shaft backwards/stalling the shaft" Is full of shit and have no idea on what they are saying. Its spinning at 150,00+Rpm (ball bearings)/100,000+(floating bearings) OE Manufacturers fitted factory Blow off valves to Turbo vehicles to simply stop Noise, not stop "air going back through the turbo"
MY02 Liberty B4

#22 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:23 AM

lol,

Flutter does NOT do any damage to a Turbocharger in any street car circumstance.. The pressure going "backwards" does not have the force to damage the compressor fins. When people say it "goes back through the turbo" 'Bends fins", Spins the shaft backwards/stalling the shaft" Is full of shit and have no idea on what they are saying. Its spinning at 150,00+Rpm (ball bearings)/100,000+(floating bearings)

OE Manufacturers fitted factory Blow off valves to Turbo vehicles to simply stop Noise, not stop "air going back through the turbo"

Quoted for the truth.
TSM

#23 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:07 AM

------------------------------------

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#24 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:10 AM

you are kiiding your self if thats what you think.that might have been true in the early model turbo car such as pulsar et and ford lasers that ran 6 - 7 psi but not on newer cars running 14 - 15 psi with high tollerence turbo's......i have a friend that works at subaru australia and thats not their theory

#25 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

In regards to which post shane? The heat or what Lance said? Lance's comment is 50% true, I do beleive they play a big part in the emmisions compliance as well. I'm not certain on the efficiency range of the small IHI turbo's. But I feel fairly confident that they're not opperating to much differently to the Garret turbo's. (Picture on your first post isn't working for me at the moment.)
TSM

#26 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:20 AM

In regards to which post shane?
The heat or what Lance said?

Lance's comment is 50% true, I do beleive they play a big part in the emmisions compliance as well.

I'm not certain on the efficiency range of the small IHI turbo's. But I feel fairly confident that they're not opperating to much differently to the Garret turbo's.

(Picture on your first post isn't working for me at the moment.)

Flutter does NOT do any damage to a Turbocharger in any street car circumstance.. The pressure going "backwards" does not have the force to damage the compressor fins. When people say it "goes back through the turbo" 'Bends fins", Spins the shaft backwards/stalling the shaft" Is full of shit and have no idea on what they are saying. Its spinning at 150,00+Rpm (ball bearings)/100,000+(floating bearings)

OE Manufacturers fitted factory Blow off valves to Turbo vehicles to simply stop Noise, not stop "air going back through the turbo"

this comment just makes me laugh what people say...my mate has 35yrs experience working with mazda and subaru and prodrive engine centre in the U.K....he had a good giggle

#27 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:47 AM

I can understand how it can be bad. I've seen a lot of example's of turbo's surviving it though. So in a practicle sence I do agree with Lance. I think its more a case of, the turbo will outlast the car in most instances. Regardless of wether or not the intake charge is vented.
TSM

#28 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:24 PM

this comment just makes me laugh what people say...my mate has 35yrs experience working with mazda and subaru and prodrive engine centre in the U.K....he had a good giggle

Shane, one of my mates is a Subaru Mech, and he's owned turbo cars, GTR32 atm, and works on turbo cars all the time obviously, and he told me he likes making his car flutter, even though it's not exactly good for it. Is this what you're trying to make your point about? I always thought (and been told) flutter was the air being chopped by the blades as it passed back through(akin to blowing into a pedestal fan), and wasn't overly detrimental to the turbo, or engine, but was still not the best practice. Whats the theory your mate has Shane? 100% sure he'd have a better way to explain it.

And Lance all the BOVs we've had didn't exactly stop noise, the MY04 STi didn't flutter when we had the standard wastegate system on. But as soon as the BOV went on it produced screams of high pressure. But then again we've only run them on Subaru's.

Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#29 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Shane, one of my mates is a Subaru Mech, and he's owned turbo cars, GTR32 atm, and works on turbo cars all the time obviously, and he told me he likes making his car flutter, even though it's not exactly good for it. Is this what you're trying to make your point about? I always thought (and been told) flutter was the air being chopped by the blades as it passed back through(akin to blowing into a pedestal fan), and wasn't overly detrimental to the turbo, or engine, but was still not the best practice. Whats the theory your mate has Shane? 100% sure he'd have a better way to explain it.

And Lance all the BOVs we've had didn't exactly stop noise, the MY04 STi didn't flutter when we had the standard wastegate system on. But as soon as the BOV went on it produced screams of high pressure. But then again we've only run them on Subaru's.

Nick

he did....dont drive a turbo car without one

i would take his advice before anyone else...has i know of his work experience in WRC

#30 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

Nik the problem is, the exhaust gas passing through one side of the turbo is spinning the blade in one direction, while the air passing back through the wrong way is going to create resistance as it tries to force the turbine to spin the opposite way. Grab a brittle piece of wood and twist either end in opposite directions and see what happens... Obviously a turbine shaft isn't a brittle piece of wood, but then you're not all that strong so it's a good example.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#31 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:58 PM

In the scheme of things 15psi is not that much air pressure. Twisting action on a turbo would feasably only happen if the pressure going back was strong enough. 15psi is not enough. Ever put 15psi in a tyre then let the air out? It comes out a small opening fast but with a larger diameter opening the size of say, a turbo its not got much volume. Personally I like the pedestal fan idea. Funny sound but does nothing to damage it with opposite air pressure. But I may be well wrong.

Posted Image

#32 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:13 PM

You've got the idea Rob. There is no reason not to run a BOV. Technically it can damage the turbo. Most of the time you'll get away with it though. Basically don't have a panic attack if you have to drive around without one untill you can get it sorted.
TSM

#33 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

In the scheme of things 15psi is not that much air pressure. Twisting action on a turbo would feasably only happen if the pressure going back was strong enough. 15psi is not enough. Ever put 15psi in a tyre then let the air out? It comes out a small opening fast but with a larger diameter opening the size of say, a turbo its not got much volume.
Personally I like the pedestal fan idea. Funny sound but does nothing to damage it with opposite air pressure.
But I may be well wrong.

You're quite right, I was just pointing out the theory behind why it's bad for the turbo.
In reality with the throttle closed there's not going to be much exhaust gas anyway, so even if you were running higher boost the pressure on the exhaust wheel is going to be pretty low...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#34 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:23 PM

Wow, your mate works at Mazda and Subaru.. that doesnt mean crap

I used to work in dealership and the mechanics there are bloody tools. Hence why they spend their life doing services at a dealership where their main goal is to mate max profit from general "part fitting". No skill required.

As for Flutter breaks da turbo bro crap..

My car is a decent example here. I run 15-20 PSI from day 1 in my car with NO BOV.. this has been like this since september 07 and my turbo has no damage what so ever. I have pulled it down and inspected both wheels and the bearings run freely..

No damage what so ever mate. Nil,

Go and have some solid proof that its bad, then comeback and talk to us.
MY02 Liberty B4

#35 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:28 PM

Then its flutter I will keep.

Posted Image

#36 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

What does the flutter sound like with an auto? Curious, although i have no intentions of doing it.

OEM+

#37 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Like poo. Get a manual :D

#38 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Lance - what turbo are you running? There are different variations on different turbos. Best not to risk it, run a proper BOV that vents back into the intake.

#39 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Like poo. Get a manual :D

Get a wagon. :P

Auto or manual, I think flutter sounds like poo anyway.

OEM+

#40 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 08:08 PM

Lance - what turbo are you running?

There are different variations on different turbos.

Best not to risk it, run a proper BOV that vents back into the intake.

agreed. no bov/loud CHHHHSSSSSSSSHHHHH is just attention seeking...

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users