• 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

Here's a better tip for a B4

DSC00648.jpg

#242 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

KONG: as fort the 4500rpm WOT issue, what's happening?
what is boost doing at the time?
Are you just cruising along at 4500rpm and then mashing the pedal?

4500 is right on that changeover point
so it could be the ECV is a little too loose and blowing open with the sudden rise in exhaust pressure when you hit WOT.

That's sounds spot on Rob. 

Yes, exactly!  Cruising then mashing it, but at around 3-3500 rpm..  Boost swings up to 22 - 24 psi then settles at 19 -20psi (Normal PSI for me) then it drops back down to nearly 5 psi with VOD, although it certainly doesn't feel like 5 psi and the VOD & transition is pretty smooth. The weird thing is when I'm going up a hill and I mash it, I get a ECU/fuel cut off for a second. It doesn't like me loading it up too much.  If I take off at full acceleration from standstill there's no problem at all.

I'll tighten up the ECV a tad and see how it goes then.

#243 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:01 AM

boost spiking needs to be sorted,
mine used to spike like that and bash the 18psi cut, go into limp mode (5psi cut)
the primary just spools so fast, it's hard to dial in the controller to get it not to overshoot.

too loose on the ECV will have it open early for a second, while the boost controller is still holding the wastegate closed, 
because some of the exhaust is wasted into the secondary initially, the primary over-spins as the ecv shuts again and you get the spikes.

Without stand-alone closed loop boost control it's a balancing act to get the adjustment right.
one B4 I adjusted down here needed 3 full turns to keep it closed, it obviously just had weak spring.

#244 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

TIM:
yours has some serious issues.
what boost level are you trying to run?
i would be bypassing ALL boost control and just running a line from compresor outlet to wastegate actuator.
this will rule out or in the ECU opening the wastegate or ECV.

Do you still have the ECV Top-Port Mod in place?
If not, I suspect a duty solenoid/ pressure feed issue.
Same problem as happened to my car before i got it, boost would rise, top port would be fed too much pressure due to a missing restrictor, and the ECV would blow open too early and bog down when going into sequential staging.
Bypass mod fixed it for good

It does have some serious issues. Issues it didn't have prior to the engine rebuild so at the moment, it's the workshop's problem.

Boost I was running when tuned was around 14psi. The tune has since been taken off for troubleshooting and i'm back to the base map of 9psi. The same thing is still happening. Running all factory lines, no mods and no bypasses. I'm trying not to introduce any new variables until the root problem has been sorted and i'm back to where I was before the engine came out.

I've cleaned all the vac lines, boost duty solenoid in the guard and the solenoid box has been refurb'd with new lines, solenoids cleaned and vent filters cleaned. I've even sourced another ECU from Japan and it does the same thing.

When you swap the lines on the ECV to force it to remain shut so that it can't changeover, it boosts fine on primary. When you run a one way valve on the MAP sensor line (line 11) it also runs fine - so at the moment, that's been the interim fix.

#245 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Omg my head hurts from reading that haha
Josh u working on the car tomz ill be on the coast ill come give u a hand as i owe u haha

#246 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

So what exactly should a stock B4 boost at?

Under 4000rpm and above 4500 or so?

In a 3rd gear or 4th pull I seem to hit between 0.9 to 1 bar, valley of death then about 0.7 bar I think with both turbochargers. ..

#247 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

pretty sure 0.8 on primary and 1.0 on twins.

Tim, faulty MAP sensor or PE solenoid?
I hate to say it, but anytime the motor has to come out of it you need to bite the bullet and convert it.

#248 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Migoreng: mine was 9psi on primary > 7psi on changeover > 9psi on secondary when stock.

MAP sensor, Differential pressure sensor, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, have all been swapped. What does PE (solenoid) stand for?

I was prepared to pay the extra to single it, but it was a well sorted TT. The tune was fantastic, no lag around town that you would get from a single. In my case, I was advised against going single.

#249 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

PE= Pressure Exchange 
works in conjunction with the MAP sensor to take periodic atmospheric readings.

this "lag around town" idea is total crap.
Big single turbo's may not produce high boost pressure at low rpm.
what they do produce is high airflow.
Power = airflow + fuel + timing

bigger turbo = less restriction and less heat, so you can run more timing (power +)

high boost = high temps and high fuel usage (= inefficient)

here's what I mean

Tuned B4

4820351096_20d5bf7dfb_b.jpg

Now this one
BIG turbo,
looks laggy.
But how much power does a twin turbo B4 make at 4000rpm
Same as this 90KW. But this one is only making probably 4-5psi

460kw.jpg

#250 Dav_fre

Dav_fre

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Not fair .... says the man with the B4

Now could we have a look a efficiency for the same 4k mark you pointed out.

I'd say the larger single turbo would be LESS fuel efficient driven at that point, as it is trying to build boost.

Not not that, but the B4 would 'feel' a lot better...

...till the freeway anyway..!

#251 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

Pressure exchange solenoid cool.

That's a pretty low figure for a tuned B4, not much more than stock.

I fully understand that you're going to make bigger power with a single, but that's not what i'm talking about. I'm talking about area under the curve at low RPM - good driveability and good torque.

This is a tuned WRX vs stock B4.
subiecompare.jpg

And then you get comments like this...

I went single turbo after a big end bearing well over a year ago , biggest mistake ever. My TT was well modded and had zero lag unlike now
with my single. I have over 20 ATW kw's more but i reckon my old car would wipe the floor with this thing.
Also i've had cold starting issues since day one and the car is back at the mech's now and has been for 6 weeks trying to fiqure out
why it doesn't start 1st go in the cold weather.

I fuggin hate my car now , i wish it would just go away some where and die like cats do.

#252 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Efficiency at 4000rpm.

here's some tuning logic i've always used.
Open Loop Target AFR's

<0psi (vacuum)- 14:1
0-5psi 13.5:1
5-10psi: 12.5:1
10-15psi: 11.5:1
15-20psi: 11:1

so your B4 primary is screaming it's head off making 15psi at 4000rpm and a very rich 11.5:1 AFR with intake temps around 60'c and maximum ignition timing around 15'
the nice big one over there is just idling along 13.5:1 AFR, probably 30'c intake temps, but the biggie is, timing values are probably sitting around 28'

The exact Ignition Advance values from my tuned GT fozz were as follows
worth noting the GT Fozz has 9:1 Compression Ratio, in comparison with the B4 being 9.5:1 CR, so quite similar in that regard.

5psi, @ 4000rpm- 34degrees
15psi @ 4000rpm- 15degrees

As for cracka's car,
Sounds like a heap of issues

And the comparo of the WRX vs stock B4
without knowing what mods, etc. it could just have a huge turbo and untuned stock ECU on bad fuel?
not to mention my thoughts about acceleration restrictions on a dyno vs real world.

getting off topic

#253 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

pretty sure 0.8 on primary and 1.0 on twins.

Pretty sure? Anyone else actually have a boost gauge to the intake manifold?

Why is my car boosting higher on the primary?

Migoreng: mine was 9psi on primary > 7psi on changeover > 9psi on secondary when stock.

Now your car seems to be boosting the same pressure before and after valley of death...but why only 9psi?

Im getting at least 0.9 bar on primary which is like 13.5 to 14 psi..then at least 10 psi with the secondary turbine...

interesting...

Hmmm

#254 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

AUDM map peak .95/14 and .81/12

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#255 glenisanutter

glenisanutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Snowbording, Dirt Bike, SUBY

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Here's a better tip for a B4

DSC00648.jpg

+1

#256 Dav_fre

Dav_fre

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Anyone done so ?

#257 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

And the comparo of the WRX vs stock B4
without knowing what mods, etc. it could just have a huge turbo and untuned stock ECU on bad fuel?

Nope, this was Martin from Willall's explanation of the dyno chart.
"Here is a nice comparison dyno graph - Stock B4 vs boosted GC8 2.0 with VF23 on board. There is a substantial torque loss down low going single turbo (under 3000rpm the stock B4 has the WRX covered), but you have to expect this as the B4 turbocharger system was designed for just that - delivering low down torque. Its also auto vs manual, and the stall converter in the B4 will make the lower end torque look better than it otherwise would be. Hope that assists you with your decision :)"

Saying it's total crap, I don't agree with. TT's cop so much crap, but they are so much fun to drive.

Pretty sure? Anyone else actually have a boost gauge to the intake manifold?

Why is my car boosting higher on the primary?

Now your car seems to be boosting the same pressure before and after valley of death...but why only 9psi?

My boost gauge is off the manifold, but it was showing the same as what the ecu was reporting via an SSM cable. 9psi was stock, that's why so low. 

Also remember that the same pressure on secondary will be moving a larger volume of air through two turbos than just the one turbo during primary.

#258 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Over the last few days I've been adjusting my ECV to find a good setting to suit my car with the ECV mod in place. With the ECV mod, my boost has been spiking to 24 psi on the primary. This isn't ideal for an engine close to 280k. Tightening the ECV to compensate for a tired spring was tried first. No joy, the car forking hated it. Under load it would cut fuel and carry on like an epileptic. 

Every time I adjusted the ECV I would change back to the standard vac line plumbing to see what result the adjustment had made to the standard set up. 

Out of it all I have found a good setting for my car and my tune. The ECV mod has been ditched in favour for the stock set up.

I have managed to set it up so it has a strong smooth primary, smooth VOD and spooled strong secondary. So nice to drive.

I adjusted the valve to 2 full turns back from rattle then turned back towards the rattle for 1/4 of a turn.

Happy where it's at now.

#259 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Sounds good Kong! Nothing like a good strong smooth primary - You probably spend a good 90% of driving on the primary so it's worthwhile keeping it running smoothly and pulling hard.

My car's been sorted now. Turns out that it was number 10 line (the bleed side of the wastegate duty solenoid) looping back to itself instead of being vented off to the intake. So it was a slip-up by whoever was putting the engine back together - mistakes happen. Benefits of this were that I refurb'd the solenoid box, adjusted the ECV and have a spare ECU from troubleshooting the issue.

Anyway, i'm happy it's all back to normal and running sweet. Re-tune was done and it's sitting on 181kw and 571nm @ 21psi now.

#260 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:35 AM

Awesome Tim! Must be smiling again now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users