Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

Anytime Zaccy  ;)

#202 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Nice one BossJosh! Good to hear that the Gen3 responds well to this mod as well.

What's the 6psi drop from and to? Mine goes from 14psi --> 12psi -->14psi

#203 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:49 AM

Mine goes from 14psi --> 12psi -->14psi

So Sean sorted you out?

#204 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Mine *went* from 14psi --> 12psi -->14psi

Sean's still troubleshooting. A spare ECU arrived from import monster today so I need to swap it out to see if that's the source of the problem - but it's a long shot.

#205 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

I had a spare ECU in my shed... Just sold it back to Eculabs though (paid a fortune to ship it to France).

BossJosh - Keen to hear the comparison with/without the mod - keep us posted!

Cheers

PlebJosh

#206 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Of course you did! Had to have been an early revision ecu Hitachi AG302 though.

Anyway, i'm driving on the stock map at the moment and it's balls. Such a lazy car to drive at the moment.

#207 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Re-hosed and cleaned out the solenoids and filters in the solenoid box last night. Took a good 2.5 hours from start to finish but it's good to know that it's all in good condition - it wasn't really in terrible shape to begin with but now it's back to 100%.

I think documenting all the lines took the longest out of the whole process.

#208 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Tim & lads.  I'm having doubts about the gen 3's suitability to the EGC mod.

Weird shit is happening & I think the ECV is too biased to the primary turbo. Secondary is lucky to see 16psi @ full boost (should be 20psi)

At 2000+ rpm in higher gears the car shits itself. It does a fuel/engine cut off thing with a horrible shunt. Take off boost pressures are all over the shop.

Low down torque is phenomenal because of the boost surge to 25 psi........ Tried to catch it but my phone is too slow & shitty to be taking pics of a boost gauge when I'm hitting 25 psi.

DSC_1508_zpse07344e8.jpg

I'm not giving up on this mod just yet though. I'll adjust the ECV to see what i can come up with and I have a few other things I want to try along with this mod.

My engine is sitting on 276,000km....... Let's see if it goes pop!

#209 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yea i found that mine did the exact thing as i didnt change my ecv which is ecential

#210 glenisanutter

glenisanutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Snowbording, Dirt Bike, SUBY

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

MRT have had their hands on this one so I dare say ECUTEK tune.

MRT FORKED MY TUNE...HAD TO GO BACK 5 TIMES BEFOR THEY SORTED IT!

I HiGHLY RECOMMEND TUNE HOUSE AT MARRICKVILLE! Jim Knows How To Tune a B4 Right!!!   the first time!

#211 glenisanutter

glenisanutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Snowbording, Dirt Bike, SUBY

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

While you are porting stuff take as much meat out of the waste gate port on the primary it is too small and causes boost spike before VOD crossover,

also the factory spring in the waste gate diafram can sag and only hold limited boost. I put an after market one in which held pressure.

these are just two of the fixes i did while upgrading my B4

#212 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Cheers.  I think my BOV needs coins too.

#213 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

:) josh wish my turbo could hold boost at those levels. I'd be worried about my fuel map though how lean is it getting?

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#214 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

She runs well rich 24/7 & has never pinged.  I'm fairly confident AFR's aren't too far off the mark and I'm not too worried TBH but I need to hook up a gauge this weekend to confirm it's all ok.  After this mornings run to work I'm positive the BOV can't handle the boost so the plan is to shim it up, whack in some hotter spark plugs, check the primary wastegate is opperating ok, find a small boost leak & then get on to playing with ECV adjustments.  The problem I have is, all the streets in my area are 40/50/60 kmph and there's not really any appropriate quiet roads to do my tests. It makes it hard. 

I'm still keen to hook up the standard vac lines to what's happening now the ECV has been adjusted. I should probably do that first before getting too much further into it. Just so I have something to compare to. 

#215 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Tim & lads.  I'm having doubts about the gen 3's suitability to the EGC mod.

Weird shit is happening & I think the ECV is too biased to the primary turbo. Secondary is lucky to see 16psi @ full boost (should be 20psi)

At 2000+ rpm in higher gears the car shits itself. It does a fuel/engine cut off thing with a horrible shunt. Take off boost pressures are all over the shop.

Low down torque is phenomenal because of the boost surge to 25 psi........ Tried to catch it but my phone is too slow & shitty to be taking pics of a boost gauge when I'm hitting 25 psi.

DSC_1508_zpse07344e8.jpg

I'm not giving up on this mod just yet though. I'll adjust the ECV to see what i can come up with and I have a few other things I want to try along with this mod.

My engine is sitting on 276,000km....... Let's see if it goes pop!

If you're all trying to do this with standard boost control, forget it.
You need good closed loop boost control.

How do you think the ECV is "biased" to the primary?
It's only job is to supply exhaust gas to the secondary?

Exhaust gas flow IS biased to the primary simply because the hole through the ECV is tiny and air will always take the easiest path.

Where are you measuring your boost level from?
I had two gauges in mine, one in the manifold and one at the primary turbo outlet.
With crappy plastic factory piping i would see 5psi higher at the outlet than in the manifold, such is the restriction of those intercooler pipes, I quickly replaced them with large bore silicone units and dropped down to about 2psi difference

#216 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Yeah Josh, sounds like the DPS sensor is seeing too much of a difference between primary and secondary size pressure and cutting fuel. If you keep on the gas, it'll eventually throw a 66 CEL (the most general of errors).

+1 for going with silicon turbo hoses and a bigger TMIC, it's noticeably less restrictive. Turbos are more spool happy.

#217 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

I thought about custom plates for my TT.
"CEL-066"   :D

#218 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Ha! they would suit perfectly.

#219 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

If you're all trying to do this with standard boost control, forget it.
You need good closed loop boost control.

How do you think the ECV is "biased" to the primary?
It's only job is to supply exhaust gas to the secondary?

Exhaust gas flow IS biased to the primary simply because the hole through the ECV is tiny and air will always take the easiest path.

Where are you measuring your boost level from?
I had two gauges in mine, one in the manifold and one at the primary turbo outlet.
With crappy plastic factory piping i would see 5psi higher at the outlet than in the manifold, such is the restriction of those intercooler pipes, I quickly replaced them with large bore silicone units and dropped down to about 2psi difference

The boost gauge is fed from the manifold.

What I mean by saying the ECV adjustment (or how it's adjusted and running ATM) feels biased to the primary is because of the lack of pre spool on the secondary. I'm probably way off track and this is a result of the standard boost controller or could it be because the pre spool solenoid has been bypassed and the secondary is only spooling up once the ECV has cracked open fully? It's now hitting peak boost 1000rpm later than it was before the mod and is down from 20 - 14/15 psi @ peak boost with both tubos going flat out. Transition does feel smoother with the mod but I miss the 20 psi punch of the secondary. 

What I'm hoping to achieve with some ECV adjustments is to open up the ECV a tad and get the secondary spooling so it hits peak boost earlier, which may also reduce some of the extra primary boost by slowing gas flow to the primary. I realise this will adversely affect the VOD & primary boost but I'm interested to see if I can find a compromise where both turbo's are boosting at an acceptable level and VOD is bearable. I doubt it will but I'm going to try. I have had some success in the past with changing boost pressures between turbos by adjusting the ECV.

In it's current set up the secondary is nowhere near running at it's potential. It probably never will with the modification.

I realise this could be all a waste of time without closed loop boost control but I'm happy to give it a crack just to see what I can come up with.

Shits n giggles and hopefully no explosions lol.

I'm not being a smart arse Rob so please don't take this the wrong way, but you never mentioned the closed loop boost control in your original mod post and maybe that is something that needs to be edited into the post on the new TT compile thread.  It's a pretty important factor as is the fact the mod is basically Gen 2 specific.

Yeah Josh, sounds like the DPS sensor is seeing too much of a difference between primary and secondary size pressure and cutting fuel. If you keep on the gas, it'll eventually throw a 66 CEL (the most general of errors).

+1 for going with silicon turbo hoses and a bigger TMIC, it's noticeably less restrictive. Turbos are more spool happy.

Yeah that makes sense mate. 

#220 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Also @ Rob..... or anyone else for that matter....

Is the way I adjust the ECV the same for the standard set up?  When the flap rattles, back it off 2 turns then tighten or is it different? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users