111 replies to this topic

#101 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:03 AM

Tristan have you got any websites to cite those claims? They are pretty big business, I would suspect if what you are saying has truth and merit behind it that exhaust engineers may just engineer themselves in to a giant pool of death, simply to commit suicide after wasting so much time. Those claims are useless without some proof, do you have any you can share or is it just hearsay ?

#102 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

i agree, thats a big claim for an un-opened 3litre 6. surely there isnt going to be that big of a difference. especially seeing how much it will probably cost you in the end!!!

MY07 GT spec B

#103 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:50 AM

People have been doing it on V8's since the time of the dinosaurs. It works. It gives you the flow, while still maintianing the back pressure. Tristans car is already a twin system to half way, so for $250 for two 2" pipes and a common muffler. How hard is it?
TSM

#104 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

i agree, thats a big claim for an un-opened 3litre 6. surely there isnt going to be that big of a difference. especially seeing how much it will probably cost you in the end!!!

People have been doing it on V8's since the time of the dinosaurs. It works.
It gives you the flow, while still maintianing the back pressure.

Tristans car is already a twin system to half way, so for $250 for two 2" pipes and a common muffler. How hard is it?

hence why i said 3 litre 6, not 5litre+ 8 cylinder

MY07 GT spec B

#105 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

i don't have websites... i guess i shouldn't have claimed them as fact and should have added an AFAIK in there...

though i have read it before... it's why port matching extractors is important...

smaller hole into larger space = bad for airflow

------------

anyway,

car failed emissions... badly... really, really badly...

and it only has to pass for the age of the car... not the engine... that's what both the tester and the engineer said independent of each other...

so it badly needs a tune...

also, the standard H6 runs through 3 cats... mine was going through one, and a high flow one at that...

and the exhaust was too loud at 94dB average and 96dB peak...

so the engineer hooked me up with one of his mates who owns an exhaust place and he added another cat (a ford V8 factory cat, for better filtering and perhaps not as much flow) and a different style of muffler with a larger body and more baffles and stuff...

it's quieter... hopefully legally so... and is on a flange from the axle back so i can swap between the mufflers easily ;)

the engine doesn't like this however...

it feels like it makes more torque between 4-6000rpm but dies in the ass after 6000...

so, the car needs another tune (i'm fairly pissed off at the tuner who did it in the first place) and needs to pass emissions...

after that, the engineer said he'd pass it because everything else looks good...

edit: and the ECU is password protected so i can't even look at the fuel maps... or post them for you guys to have a look at...

edit again: video taken with the new exhaust... hurray for intake noise

2mmwi1w.jpg

#106 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

That sucks Tristan.

Did the tuner in QLD know that you were getting it tuned for NSW emissions?

I'd say that Al has done you a good favour by connecting you with one of his people, you shouldn't be bagging them out like that, especially if you didn't explicitly mention it needed to comply with NSW emission standards for the year of your car.

Good to hear you're getting it sorted out.

edit: and the ECU is password protected so i can't even look at the fuel maps... or post them for you guys to have a look at...

I am guessing that the particular tuner has done that to ensure his R&D is not stolen. Can hardly blame him for that.

With that being said, I guess if you take it to another tuner they're going to have to start allllll over again.

#107 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

That sucks Tristan.

Did the tuner in QLD know that you were getting it tuned for NSW emissions?

I'd say that Al has done you a good favour by connecting you with one of his people, you shouldn't be bagging them out like that, especially if you didn't explicitly mention it needed to comply with NSW emission standards for the year of your car.

Good to hear you're getting it sorted out.

I am guessing that the particular tuner has done that to ensure his R&D is not stolen. Can hardly blame him for that.

With that being said, I guess if you take it to another tuner they're going to have to start allllll over again.

it has to comply to ADR emission standards...

they are australia wide and he said it should pass...

i'm not bagging him out... i'm just saying that i'm pissed because it is essentially $900 that may as well have been flushed down the toilet...

i'll ask him what he suggests (which i would assume is going to be to send me to a tuner down here that he's mates with, at a fair premium)... failing that i'll ask him for the password to save me having it reset... then get it retuned

2mmwi1w.jpg

#108 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

i don't have websites... i guess i shouldn't have claimed them as fact and should have added an AFAIK in there...

though i have read it before... it's why port matching extractors is important...

smaller hole into larger space = bad for airflow

------------

anyway,

car failed emissions... badly... really, really badly...

and it only has to pass for the age of the car... not the engine... that's what both the tester and the engineer said independent of each other...

so it badly needs a tune...

also, the standard H6 runs through 3 cats... mine was going through one, and a high flow one at that...

and the exhaust was too loud at 94dB average and 96dB peak...

so the engineer hooked me up with one of his mates who owns an exhaust place and he added another cat (a ford V8 factory cat, for better filtering and perhaps not as much flow) and a different style of muffler with a larger body and more baffles and stuff...

it's quieter... hopefully legally so... and is on a flange from the axle back so i can swap between the mufflers easily ;)

the engine doesn't like this however...

it feels like it makes more torque between 4-6000rpm but dies in the ass after 6000...

so, the car needs another tune (i'm fairly pissed off at the tuner who did it in the first place) and needs to pass emissions...

after that, the engineer said he'd pass it because everything else looks good...

edit again: video taken with the new exhaust... hurray for intake noise

thats bad luck mate,

not backing your tuner up or anything but remember he would of tuned for performance, not emissions!

does the vipec have an option for dual maps? that would work perfectly for you if it did!

MY07 GT spec B

#109 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

thats bad luck mate,

not backing your tuner up or anything but remember he would of tuned for performance, not emissions!

does the vipec have an option for dual maps? that would work perfectly for you if it did!

he didn't though.. it's running rich as shit... which doesn't equate to good performance...

he's running a safe tune...

and as far as tuning is concerned... it should have 2 completely different tunes... one for below 4000rpm when it's off the avls cam... and one for when it's on it...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#110 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

i'm not bagging him out... i'm just saying that i'm pissed because it is essentially $900 that may as well have been flushed down the toilet...

Yeah hard luck man, I hear ya.

Don't worry about it. The install of this H6 went pretty much flawlessly and you've had few issues up until this point. You gotta expect something to be a real pain in the arse and this seems to be it for the time being. At least you know what you need to do to get the green light on the car so get it done and it'll all be sweet.

But whats the go? Whys it falling short at from 6000+? And I know how much you love your revs (you should be a Type-R driver :P)

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#111 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:40 AM

Good to see I was right about it not having a chance of passing emissions testing with the current tune. What did Mark say about the password? I'd be suprised if he didn't give you the password to unlock it. If you take it to be tuned to pass the emissions test you shouldn't need an additional cat.

#112 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:05 AM

Did they give you any readouts as to what your car did during the tests? Sounds pretty ordinary right there... Alexxx, The twin system will function the same on the 3ltr as it will on a 5ltr. You just need to use smaller pipes. The physics(zomg big words for soop) still apply.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users