111 replies to this topic

#61 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Here's the dimensions of the superseal ECU socket used on the PCB, two 34pin sockets are used: http://ecommas.tycoe...437287-8_O6.pdf
The PCB is double-sided with surface mount components on the underside, the driver heasinks sit ~3mm higher than the top edge of the superseal connector. The actual PCB is not large at ~165x167mm.

If the heatsinks aren't bolted to a large piece of alloy like the Extruded Vipec case then you run a good chance of bricking his $2500 ECU.

Im not going to take it apart if Tristan chooses this route. but i will say i can do many things and hiding a ECU is very easy and making it look stock, B)
But i still say be a bit more constructive then negative.....and throw some good ideas to help member Tristan to solve his dilema
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#62 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

Just a thought why dont you get the stock ecu and stick it in the stock hole with a stock bit of wiring (plugged into the ecu and going to nothing) and hide the aftermarket one out of sight where ever... then if your asked the question - "its stock", they look in the stock place and there it is a stock ecu...

#63 JMP

JMP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

quite a few NSW engineers are aware of that trick these days. They test it by removing an ECU plug and then start the engine... if it starts, you're hiding something. A mate had this exact test done when getting his 2JZGTE cressida engineered. Might aswell be honest from the outset IMO

#64 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

quite a few NSW engineers are aware of that trick these days. They test it by removing an ECU plug and then start the engine... if it starts, you're hiding something. A mate had this exact test done when getting his 2JZGTE cressida engineered. Might aswell be honest from the outset IMO

Fair enough lol...

#65 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

Some sort of remote switch that you can flick to kill the stock ECU while they've got the dummy one unplugged? :D

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#66 DY028

DY028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

Some sort of remote switch that you can flick to kill the stock ECU while they've got the dummy one unplugged? :D

yeah lol! just chop the power wire and run it through the stock ecu plug and then hook it back up.. so when the fake ecu is unplugged the real ecu has no power...

#67 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

Thread put through the washer + drier = cleaned. Don't make me start stuffing heads in there.

#68 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

I have alergies to that f*cken soap you prick!!!
TSM

#69 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

How many people drive around with aftermarket ECU's in their car? A fair few, If you put it on the engineer's certficate, when it come to pass your green slip or whatever it is in NSW, you will be asked for an emmissions test. Now that is a absolute Prick to pass. So hide it away like everyone else and dont say a word. My insurance company knows about mine, But the RTA doesnt:) Keep the AFM in the intake piping, no one will suspect a thing, Your car Doesnt have big shiny FMIC pipes or a turbo.. Stress less mate
MY02 Liberty B4

#70 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Keep the AFM in the intake piping, no one will suspect a thing, Your car Doesnt have big shiny FMIC pipes or a turbo..

Stress less mate

no... just big shiny intake pipes... and it doesn't have an AFM... it uses a MAP sensor... lol

um, thanks (i think) guys...

but i'm just gonna suck it and see... from what i could gather, the engineer seemed to be quite happy to just turn a blind eye...

though i am slightly worried about it passing emissions now...

whatever... if it fails i'll just fix it and try again in the future...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#71 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

Steps to take 1 - go to bunnings 2 - Purchase massive packet of steel wool 3- leave bunnings 4 - pack the fu** out of your exhaust full of purchased steel wool 5 - Pass emission test. Been there, done that. Trick is, to fit it just after the cat, so it doesn't get blown out when they rev hell into your car.

#72 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Put some wire mesh in after you pack the steel wool in? :D

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#73 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:43 AM

yep you can do that between the joins to stop it.. using some aluminium fly screen can help there, but with an NA H6, shouldn't really be needed.. I had to make a plate up with holes in it, to let air through, and quieten down the exhaust, along with steel wool.. but that was on my V8.. once again Big a55 hectic hairstyles V8.

#74 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

if Tristans car has a cat even a hiflow one, the emissions should still comply to the current ADR etc as his engine is rather new, but if the tune is a bit iffy then there might be a problem, but even then they will knock it back and he can fix it and go again...
Posted Image

#75 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

if Tristans car has a cat even a hiflow one, the emissions should still comply to the current ADR etc as his engine is rather new, but if the tune is a bit iffy then there might be a problem, but even then they will knock it back and he can fix it and go again...

if it has to comply to the emissions for the year of the car then it will pass easy...
if it has to comply to the emissions for the year of the engine then it may have a problem...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#76 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

if it has to comply to the emissions for the year of the car then it will pass easy...
if it has to comply to the emissions for the year of the engine then it may have a problem...

It will have to comply to the year of the engine, as you are putting in a newer engine then the car. then i say u have a problem....

Because thats how it works
eg: if u put a Vz v6 for an instance in a EH late 70 or which ever year its made in: then you will have to comply to the engine thats going in, if the car was younger and your engine older then the engine would have to comply to the car specs...
Posted Image

#77 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

It will have to comply to the year of the engine, as you are putting in a newer engine then the car. then i say u have a problem....

Because thats how it works
eg: if u put a Vz v6 for an instance in a EH late 70 or which ever year its made in: then you will have to comply to the engine thats going in, if the car was younger and your engine older then the engine would have to comply to the car specs...

you have to comply with whatever is newer??

makes sense...

how will they know what year the engine is if i don't tell them??

i guess they can look up the engine number or something yeh?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#78 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:08 AM

you have to comply with whatever is newer??

makes sense...

how will they know what year the engine is if i don't tell them??

i guess they can look up the engine number or something yeh?

yes comply is to which ever is newer and yes they can tell buy engine numbers, not sure if u will ahve to supply them where u got the engine from who done the conversion, but u will need to provide recipts etc when u do a blue slip and most likely on the blue slip the guy will write what engine it is...etc etc
Posted Image

#79 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

spoke to blue slip guy. all i need is receipt for engine with engine number to pass. easy spoke to engineer and had a quick look and said it'll be fine. haltech ecu is also fine. easy

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#80 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

and most likely on the blue slip the guy will write what engine it is...etc etc

Fully Hektiks H6 wiv Zorst and Stractorz, 3.0L

Nick