60 replies to this topic

#1 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi Guys, I just been cruising a bit testing john-e's new ride powerr and noticed something that made me s#it myself. The turbro started to get really really loud after a while .. we been boosting it a bit. Is it normal for twins to do this? is it because the turbo got hot? i'm just wondering because after i let it cool off for 15 mins and started it again it was fully gone. The loud loud turbrros windup could not be replicated ( Which is a good thing ) i thought my car broke and was thinking of taking it to a shop. Regardless i will probably be taking it to get checked anyway since im that anal about things.... oh and I noticed after a while of driving the clutch and everything fully opened up to me.. it was like its another car. Does the ECU do these type of things or am i paranoid. BTW apologies in advance for all the noob questions. Needless to say... i'll be back to driving it like my norm shifting at 3k RPM like normal, i'm too scared it'll break. Cheers, Will C

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#2 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Don't know exactly how loud you mean, but you will notice in cooler weather the intake noise is a fair bit louder. Normal street driving in my old rex with the stock turbo would only hit around 16psi but after a good 5-10mins of hard driving i would be hitting 18psi for some odd reason, and it definitely got louder.

#3 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

what sort of sound is it? If it sounds like a siren I'd be worring.
TSM

#4 Guest_Alex_*

Guest_Alex_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

what sort of sound is it?

If it sounds like a commodore I'd be worring.

fix0red. i would have done a ninjastealthadmin edit, but some would whinge :rolleyes:

would be good to check it out for you to help diagnose.

and with the clutch, it behaves differently as it heats up. not ecu driven. what do you mean it "opens up"?

#5 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

It doesn't sound like a siren.. it kinda sounds like a blow dryer on max boost and boosting even higher the more PSI it gets. Good point this is the first time i noticed the insane loudness i didn't check the boost gauge, normally i'd be hitting 14-16 PSI this time it certainly felt alot stronger. There was even alot higher engine kick after i released the gas. ( By kick i mean sometimes after you launch it hard and then release the accelerator instantly it kicks back and the engine shakes the car.) When i was talking about opening up i meant the shifting felt ultra smooth and the clutch felt lighter. Is this normal. ? Brendans Clutch is heaps good and nice and heavy the way i like it, but after some boosting its light as a feather.Its just as Pete S described it except i don't know about the boost and after i turned the engine off for about 20 minutes it was back to normal and boosting back down to normal with normal drivability. The blow dryer is the best description i can give. Its pretty much idential to that type of noise. Cheers Will C

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:12 AM

Could the hyd clutch oil be getting warmer making the clutch feel better?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

Let me guess, u had the windows ip and music quiet while driving it hard? That's intake noise from the cai, especially how it was colder last night, wait till winter!

#8 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:14 AM

LOL! funny post.

#9 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

Let me guess, u had the windows ip and music quiet while driving it hard?

That's intake noise from the cai, especially how it was colder last night, wait till winter!

Yuppers window up and no music, the noise didn't start till way later in the night driving after the engine was hot.. i guess the cop shop might not of appreciated a what sounded like a turbro charged blowdryer fanging it past them on high boost.

Bro this car is scary ... i might ask Dylan to have a look under the bonnet to make sure i didn't break something. The drive this morning was normal too, i'm scared i pushed it too hard and cracked a radiator hose or intercooler hose. Last night i wasn't able to see any moisture though.

Cheers

Will C

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#10 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:51 AM

Funny you say that, I was gonna say, you might have blown the cooler hose off under the cooler on the primary turbo.. it can only go on a certain way, if it's on wrong, it will leak when on high boost and sound like a REALLY loud air rushing sound.. like an aircompresser for pumping tyres at a servo.. when the air come out the hose...

#11 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:57 AM

Funny you say that,

I was gonna say, you might have blown the cooler hose off under the cooler on the primary turbo.. it can only go on a certain way, if it's on wrong, it will leak when on high boost and sound like a REALLY loud air rushing sound.. like an aircompresser for pumping tyres at a servo.. when the air come out the hose...

2nd turbo still works strong i think. I'll check it when i get home..

Is it an easy fix?

Cheers

Will C

I'm sure the 2nd turbo still works though. I'll need to check to make sure.

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#12 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

heaps easy.. but fiddly.. there is like a hose clamp that holds the cooler onto the primary.. but, the clamp has to go on a certain way onto the pipe.. if it's on wrong, it will blow air out of there and leak really loudly on high boost.. especially once it's hot and everything has expanded, including the clamp.. Only reason Im saying this is cause, everytime the cooler has been removed by a mechanic, they always out the clamp back on wrong.. and considering the box is like 3 weeks old.. it all makes sense.. Oh and, if the primary died, the secondary wouldn't be doing much for you mate, as it relies on the primary to boost.

#13 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

heaps easy.. but fiddly.. there is like a hose clamp that holds the cooler onto the primary.. but,

the clamp has to go on a certain way onto the pipe.. if it's on wrong, it will blow air out of there and leak really loudly on high boost.. especially once it's hot and everything has expanded, including the clamp..

Only reason Im saying this is cause, everytime the cooler has been removed by a mechanic, they always out the clamp back on wrong.. and considering the box is like 3 weeks old.. it all makes sense..

Oh and, if the primary died, the secondary wouldn't be doing much for you mate, as it relies on the primary to boost.

would it still peak till about 15 psi ?

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#14 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

once it's hot and been belted for too long, which is what you are doing.. yes.

#15 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

If he blew an IC hose off, would the car not be a total slug? Alex, Jelousy is a curse brother!
TSM

#16 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

Nah.. cause it doesnt' completely blow off the hose, on high boosts it stretches it a little so the air escapes.. all he needs to do is position the hose clamp back on properly.. I've been there done that, When I tried to fit a WRX STI cooler, I had the same issue.. p.s, WRX STI coolers don't fit.

#17 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

Will you cunny. drive tomorrow and i'll have a geeze :)

#18 jOhn-e

jOhn-e

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:I like cheese burgers !

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

theres nothing wrong with the car !! i keep telling him that LOL, every where we go he always thinks something is wrong.. LOL his a paranoid hoon end of story hahaha what is the b4 running at wheels brendan u know? he always gets me in 3rd !

Posted Image

For all Your Performance Work and Needs.

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#19 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

hahah, and thats the way I likes it :) As for the wheels.. Man, your guess would be as good as mine.. i'd say prob just under or on the 200 mark, the way it's running now.. and if this is the case.. stop being so anal, drive the car, when a Subaru is sick, trust me... you'll know.

#20 jOhn-e

jOhn-e

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:I like cheese burgers !

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

hahah, and thats the way I likes it :)

As for the wheels..

Man, your guess would be as good as mine.. i'd say prob just under or on the 200 mark, the way it's running now..

and if this is the case..

stop being so anal, drive the car, when a Subaru is sick, trust me... you'll know.

Will

Take note ^^^^ lol

Posted Image

For all Your Performance Work and Needs.

Fairfield East NSW 2161

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users