9 replies to this topic

#1 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hey SC, so i recently bought an ej20r for my gen 2 lib and when i was having a look at the timing i realised it wasn't at TDC and he told me he had turned the crank with the timing belt off, would this mean he would have bent the valves? oh and are the right cam sprockets ment to be hard to put into TDC?

all help/advice appreciated.

thanks, Joe

if this thread wasn't posted in the correct forum please move it >.<

#2 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

I don't think moving it by hand has enough force to bend valves. When you're turning the right cams, you might need to turn the bottom at the same time in the other direction, since they may be fouling.

#3 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

I've turned them both into the correct positions and they're sitting there but if i touch them they will spring out >.< i just wanted to double check because i was worried it would have bent valves and i'd have to rip the engine apart.

what do you mean by fouling btw?

just to clear things up, this engine hasn't been started for awhile...out of a gen 2 front cut with 80,000kms, still had the genuine subaru timing belt on and still had atleast 10,000kms of life (no cracks in the timing belt).

#4 Staxta

Staxta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

The valves can contact each other on the EJ engines (the ones that aren't non interference). When they spring out there's not enough force for them to cause damage.

When you re-install the belt, have someone hold it steady if you can.

#5 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

2.0, EJ20R

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

put the belt on loosely around the driver's-side cams, crank and top half of its route, turn a cam (note the FSM 'safe' direction), then use some paper clips (big bulldog ones) or any handy clamps you have to hold the belt to the cam.  Start with the top (intake). This will keep them in place till you have the rest of the belt sorted out.

Pay attention to the FSM on which way you can turn each cam to get them to the right spot.  Of course, their default position (the one they snap to) is valves closed, so if they're in that spot, you can turn the other cam ok without the valves hitting, but a piston may be at TDC, hence the one safe direction.

Here's the right and wrong way to turn:

Attached File  cams.jpg   33.38KB   10 downloads

#7 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

okay well the bottom cam was turned clockwise until it was like locked into position when i brang the motor home, so i rotated it anti clockwise to get it to where it is at now but im pretty sure both weren't spun incorrectly does it still mean it could have interfered? 

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

As said above, if the cam sprockets move freely and lightly, the valves will be shut. There's only so far you can move it before it starts engaging the buckets and you will feel resistance. Once the belt tension is taken off, the cams should spring off the buckets anyway. If all the cams are off the buckets and you moved the crank around, it wont touch the valves.

As long as the markings are all facing 12'oclock on the cam sprockets and the crank is lined up with it's marker, you wont have a problem re-fitting a belt if you follow the workshop manual. The only way damage could be done is if a cam was force held onto a bucket opening valves and then the crank moved. I wouldn't think you could damage it using hand strength anyway. Even if you did, the cam would probably slip off the bucket before you bent a valve. 

If you are concerned, remove the intake manifold and exhaust manifold and inspect the valve shafts. You will know pretty quickly if a valve is bent.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#9 SC00BY

SC00BY

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, found out it's not an ej20r instead a ej20h

#10 Chaapppppp

Chaapppppp

• Members