• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 leusgs

leusgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

I am in the middle of diagnosing code 66 troubles on my 1999 Legacy E-tune JDM wagon.

Here's the background:

The car has 72,000 kms and is in very nice original condition.  Appears to be very well looked after.  It runs smooth, starts and idles well, gets decent fuel economy, and is generally a car I'm quite happy with.   BUT - There is no secondary boost.  Never has been since I got the car 3 months ago.  It has great power at partial throttle from about 0-3000 rpm but then falls flat.  I assume the primary turbo is working at this low rpm range.

Above ~4000 rpm, the car falls flat.   It feels like the wastegate is opening or something, and it has little power over 4000 rpm.  It feels like a non-turbo car.  Here's a video of the dash - you can see it pulls ok until 4000 then is just stops!

Check for codes reveals code 66.  The first thing I did was find a used BBOD from a friend's B4 RSK that is a good running car.   Swapped the BBOD and unfortunately there was no change.   Then we tried his MAF.  No change.   Then we tried his primary/wastegate solenoid.  No change.   Then his Differential Pressure sensor.  No change.

I've put a hand vacuum pump on the Wastegate and added + pressure and it moves like it should.   Same for the Exhaust valve for the second turbo, and the air intake valve under the intercooler.  Everything moving freely when manually pumped.

I next connected the green wires under the dash and can feel and hear all the solenoids clicking.  The Exhaust valve moves in and out until the vacuum tank empties after a few seconds.  Same for the air intake valve under the intercooler.   I also checked the valve operation while revving the car manually up to about 4000 rpm - and both valves open when the rpm gets high.  So all appears normal there.  I think?

I've checked all Vac hoses and all are original with the original pills.  I've put vacuum and all the hoses and none are leaking.  They are in very good shape with no cracks and all very flexible. 

I connected the green connectors and went for a drive.   I got code 32 while driving the car.  (Oxygen sensor).   I've never had code 32 while checking the static codes with the black wires connected.

I'm at a loss here.  Have I missed anything?   My only ideas are as follows.  Do they have any merit?

1) clogged catalytic converter?

2) something under the intercooler not right (cracked intake piping?)

3) O2 sensor is causing the code 66 and no-boost issue.  Not sure if this even happens?

4) Knock sensor is bad causing knock signal and telling the computer to open the wastegate?

As you can see I am guessing!   Your ideas are appreciated.   I'm going to pull the intercooler and look around for something obvious under there next! 

thanks.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Here's my uneducated opinion

1/ no. Cat(s) are in primary pipe and after the exhaust merge, so won't affect secondary alone.

2/ unlikely - crack/leak after IACV would affect all boost. If leak prior to IACV you should hear lots of boost leak and get overfueling (black smoke) on secondary

3/ unlikely - O2 sensor is only used in closed-loop mode, under no or moderate boost (primary)

4/ possibly. but I understand this is a semi-permanent situation - ECU will fall back to failsafe mode if excessive knock is seen, and drop boost on primary, too.

I'd be worried about your secondary health.  Have you checked the exhaust turbine and compressor  ?

I'm assuming you've rev'd well past 4k - ie: past the VOD

Have you checked the secondary bypass valve?  Maybe its stuck open, thereby bypassing all that secondary boost. 

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Some things I would be checking :

- Vacuum tank in the passenger inner guard and the line that runs across the front bar to the BBOD.
- BOV piping and any possible leaks, if your BOV was leaking you probably wouldn't hear it but your pressures would all be screwy and could trigger the code
- Seized secondary turbo 

Failing any of that, I would replace the ECU to see if that makes a difference. From what it sounds like, there's not much you have missed short of physically removing the secondary and checking it's health. It's a pain to remove but you could do it on a weekend. The easiest way would be to remove your dump pipe and check the turbine from the back, though that won't tell you if the secondary compressor is munched.

Check that once you have checked everything else.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#4 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

A test is to try swapping the hoses around on the exhaust control valve (ecv). The primary won't boost normally but it hangs the ecv open so that you can test the second stage without any if the changeover getting in the way. See if it boosts properly when both turbos are humming along.

#5 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I have nothing that hasn't already been said.

Oh, wait a minute.  incorrectly plumbed vac lines?????

Pull line 1 off the BBOD to check the vac tank is holding negative pressure..  

#6 leusgs

leusgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:29 AM

Thanks.

- Vac tank and line seem ok.  Tank holds vacuum, and if you unplug the hose under BBOD after engine is sitting for a while, it hisses as the vacuum is released.

- all Vac hoses have been checked for proper routing several times against the diagrams.

The intercooler is now off.  All hoses and pipes look good. I'll pull the downpipe and see if the 2nd turbo spins.  If so I'll put the intercooler back on (looks awkward to do.  It was hard enough to pull it off never mind push it back on).  I'll block up the BOV and secondary release valve.  I'll reverse lines 5 and 6 on the ECV also.

I'll try to swap in a friend's ECU also.   Stay tuned.

#7 leusgs

leusgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

I don't have access to an SSM, whatever that is.  Some special Subaru diagnostic tool I assume.  Working on cars is wasting time by its very nature.   It's a puzzle/game and a hobby to fix them.  If it takes a month that's ok.

Tonight I removed the down-pipe from the secondary. Reached in the exhaust side of the turbo. It does not spin. It should spin freely, right? ( I think I know the answer )

Yuck

#8 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

Wouldn't have found that with an SSM.

Not everyone has access to the SSM quite as easily as that. I don't think it's very constructive just answering everyone's tech problems with "plug it into an SSM". I have had 5 different Subaru's over nearly 10 years and have never needed such a thing, you won't learn anything without getting hands on. While it has it's advantages finding faults and as a valuable tool, no chance would it have popped up on the screen "seized secondary turbo".

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:21 PM

Well that's not ideal.

Spewing.

#10 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Never needed one. Plus, the problem was found after a couple of simple checks by the OP at our advice.

#11 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

Comment retracted, I don't have a big enough ego to compete.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#12 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

I tried looking for one today. They seem to be all sold out.

Jimbo & the rest of us have never had the luxury of owning a SSM nor access to one.
TBH, I probably would get the shits trying to work out how to use one.

All of my problem solving has been through research and the process of elimination & while that can be frustrating at times, when you sort out an issue on your own the feeling is forking awesome.

To say... Whack a SSM on it... Is a quick fix, which is great, but here on the SC forum we have a history of using what we have to try and fix the problems.

All we have is each others combined knowledge.

No disrespect intended mate, but When people like yourself & Suby Dr say "put a SSM on it" it's like saying ...if you are thirsty and in a desert you need to drink water, and there's none around.

#13 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Don't Ichiban have one?

tIeW8DE.png

#14 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

What turbo is it? A 33 or 27? I may have one sitting in the shed still, might be questionable as to the shaft play but. I know I have a good 32 boxed and ready for sending but that's a primary, so no help there. I'm on nights at the moment, will have a look in the shed when I get home if you want.
Cheers, Ben.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#15 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

32 secondary.... you're on the piss aren't you, Ben.

#16 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

well that sucks.

Plenty of TT turbos on yahoo japan : http://buyee.jp/item...gory=2084005256

#17 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

Defintely on nightshift Bosskong lol, my bad, I just had my numbers mixed up. In that case I have a good spare here all boxed up ready for postage if you're running the later model turbos. Will have a look around and see if I have a spare early model secondary when I get home.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#18 leusgs

leusgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:25 AM

I'm in Calgary, Alberta Canada.  Would it make economic sense to ship from Aus?   What would be anyone's price for a VF32 including shipping to Postal Code T3H5V2 ?  

I'll try to find one locally first as there are a growing number of these driven by the cool kids here in Canada.  They tend to crash them then part them out.  It's the Mustang/Camaro of 2014-2015.

#19 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

I've got no idea how much international postage will hurt, but I have a VF32 for sale with all the changeover gear still bolted to it, will sell for 100AUD plus post if you want it. Zero shaft play, known working.
Can get a quote from auspost tomorrow if you want.

#20 leusgs

leusgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 04:20 AM

I've got no idea how much international postage will hurt, but I have a VF32 for sale with all the changeover gear still bolted to it, will sell for 100AUD plus post if you want it. Zero shaft play, known working.
Can get a quote from auspost tomorrow if you want.

Yes please check postage.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ej206, twin turbo, legacy, code 66, primary, boost, secondary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users