131 replies to this topic

#101 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

I had 2 bad solenoids in the emission control box. Reset the ecu and still no full boost. I switch the differential pressure sensor, rest agian send still no change.
I'm about to give up. I don't know what else to do. I ask the popular Bret on you tube from Australia to help me diagnose the code P1241. I read and even download the TT operations from subyclub and trying my best to figure this out. But I believe I went through all 11 possibilities and still nothing. What I should do? Or what can I do? I learn very well with videos. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't tell me convert to single turbo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#102 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:23 AM

I feel your frustration! Been there.

Diagnosing over the internet is hard and this thread is quite long. Let's go back to basics.

What symptoms are you left with now? How does the car behave?

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#103 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

After all the boost leaks has been fix and confirm again confirm by a boost leak tester (smoke), I drives the car and I can hear the primary turbo spooling up when it get to about 5000rpm the bongs down or maybe fuel cut and throws a code P1241.
I have research this code and ran this code and all it’s parameters on the pc using the freessm2 software and was able to read 8 readouts out of 11.
The 2 relief valves and air controlled solenoid in the BBOD. Indeed it was the solenoid cause when I pump air through both nipples the air went straight through with no resistance so I replace it.

Drove the car again again it seems to bong down or a massive jerk when I’m in 3rd gear and climbing at just 5000rpm.
I change the differential pressure sensor yesterday, reset the computer, same thing.
From researching the thread on the operation of the twin turbo, I even downloaded it and printed it out and study that page by page. And I believe I change everything......So I don’t know what I missing Attached File  IMG_8224.JPG   443.24KB   6 downloadsor why it still behaving that way.

Again was doing some more research late last night and saw in a write up on the pills location
Mines don’t have the 2 pills by the Bov area... will attempt on that today and see

Any other help will be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#104 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

I finally check the hose by the primary turbo with the pill in it and saw a tiny crack. Clean it and fix it
Still no boost

I change my coil packs and started to feel the car little faster but
Still not 14psi

I then clean the air intake sensor
Still no boost

I’m outta option now.
Thinking back now if it’s that pcv valve that I was told he blocked up one and redirect the other in the intake manifold. Cause I can’t see anything else could be wrong.

#105 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

So last night/mid morning like around 3am, where the weather was around 20 degrees Celsius, the car perform strangely. The boost climb from the usual psi to 10-11psi and omg that was fast. Leaves me to wonder could be P1241 could be a intake temperature sensor??

The car does perform this fuel cut like drama from in second gear at around 5000rpm. But last night, it didn’t do that.
Still haven’t seen or read of any body successfully solving this code issue.
I guess thats why they resort to single turbo....

#106 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

So update:- saw 2 others solve their problem (code P1241) by adjusting the secondary turbo actuator.
I have done that and I’m now hearing the relief valve for the first time in long long while, the car is revving right through but no boost getting about 4psi still.

My 3rd gear gone on the box. Have source another one and will soon put that in but I’m hearing about 4.44 gearbox with 4.11 rear diff, so not sure what I have in the rear.

I think everybody else in here give up on me as well ( well at least it feels so)
But I’ll keep writing here for others that may have to same issue as me.

#107 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

Arfreedom we're still reading your thread and feeling your pain with the car problems.  I don't have a turbo in my Subaru so can't help with your issues.

Having to rebuild / replace the gearbox due to a failed third gear reads expensive.  Good luck with the gearbox swap-over.

You really don't want different ratios for the front and rear differentials as that will put severe strain on the centre differential.  Such strain will quickly cause a failure of the weakest component in the drive train which will quickly lead to another expensive repair.

#108 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

I have blown a couple of gearboxes. I got a 6 speed now. Mine has a few mods and gets a beating on the track.

If you want to try and rebuild your box, I have numerous parts.

Also, been reading but can't offer much advice.

#109 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Arfreedom we're still reading your thread and feeling your pain with the car problems.  I don't have a turbo in my Subaru so can't help with your issues.

Having to rebuild / replace the gearbox due to a failed third gear reads expensive.  Good luck with the gearbox swap-over.

You really don't want different ratios for the front and rear differentials as that will put severe strain on the centre differential.  Such strain will quickly cause a failure of the weakest component in the drive train which will quickly lead to another expensive repair.

I know but they telling me that once the shaft from the gearbox fits, then it shouldn’t be a problem. So I’m waiting on the mechanic to drop off the car

I have blown a couple of gearboxes. I got a 6 speed now. Mine has a few mods and gets a beating on the track.

If you want to try and rebuild your box, I have numerous parts.

Also, been reading but can't offer much advice.

Was your gearbox 4.11? Cause that is what I have and the 3 gear gone. Was looking to see if they have some sort of rebuild kits but can’t find any

#110 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, 4.11 ratio.

Where are you located? Let me know what parts you might need and we could arrange something.

#111 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

Yeah, 4.11 ratio.

Where are you located? Let me know what parts you might need and we could arrange something.

I live in a country call Barbados.
However the mechanic advise me that the 4.44 can work. So my eye brows raise but will see what happens, and I let you know. Really appreciate it Luke. Thanks

#112 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:36 AM

Oh boy, Barbados is a long way from Australia!

#113 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:50 AM

I live in a country call Barbados.
However the mechanic advise me that the 4.44 can work. So my eye brows raise but will see what happens, and I let you know. Really appreciate it Luke. Thanks

If he's saying using a 4.44 gearbox with a 4.11 diff theres going to damage to the centre diff. You CANNOT mix and match diff ratios. Double check the gearbox code (a sticker on the bellhousing) on google and look for the stamped numbers on the ring gear in the diff. 

tIeW8DE.png

#114 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:02 PM

You could split both boxes and do a diff ratio swap.

Or grab a matching ratio rear diff and fit that.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#115 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:53 AM

You could split both boxes and do a diff ratio swap.

+ 1. I've just done this. It's fairly easy.

Never mind. Just realized he meant the gearbox diff, not the rear diff. The gearbox is harder, but doable.

#116 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:11 AM

Yeah so the mechanic now tells
Me I need the rear diff and shaft to match the 4.44 gearbox. Smh
I knew this was coming. Based on what you guys were saying, just wanted to hear it from my mechanic. Stupse. I suspect the rear diff and shaft going to be expensive as well. I’ll rather just rebuild the 4.11 I have.
Is there a rebuild kit I can purchase in advance before I pulled down??
It’s making a flapping noise when I put it in 3rd gear but other wise I’m driving it all now in 1st, 2nd and then 4th.

Luke Private message me if I can get parts from you. Or I can get them from Japan

#117 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:46 AM

I'd look around locally if I were you -- if there are any other subarus at all in Barbados, such as forester, legacy, impreza, etc.. you should be able to find a 4.44 diff to match your gearbox in a wreckers

#118 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

So I found both a 4.11 gearbox and a 4.44 rear diff. What would you do?????
change up to the 4.44 or just swap the 4.11...????

#119 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:16 AM

4.44 box and diff. Much nicer to drive with the shorter ratios

tIeW8DE.png

#120 Arfreedom