149 replies to this topic

#21 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:49 PM

guy's your B4's aren't as great as you think they are, really. I've been through the hills with a 200kw+ wrx and a few STI's. Ford club must have been on a cruise as well, let's just say the subaru's had the edge on tighter cornering and under braking but all that effort to be blown away on any section of road that you could step on it. They've really come a long way from being slow heavy taxi's.

#22 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

2008 won by a 2.0lt awd (lancer) best commonwhore was 9th. lol

#23 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

guy's your B4's aren't as great as you think they are, really. I've been through the hills with a 200kw+ wrx and a few STI's. Ford club must have been on a cruise as well, let's just say the subaru's had the edge on tighter cornering and under braking but all that effort to be blown away on any section of road that you could step on it.

They've really come a long way from being slow heavy taxi's.

Kinda like the 1970s.

GTR XU-1 small 6cyl Vs XY GTHO big V8.

Corners XU-1 wins.
Straights GTHO wins.

Cheers
J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#24 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

here we go-
B4>SS - how often do you drive yr road car on a track- not often. B4 WILL leave any falcodore for dead on a REAL road! its just a fact of life that AWD beats RWD hands down. Oh and why did V8's make they're own comp if they're so good...

You ask the question 'how often do you drive your road car on a track' and then go on about which car will 'leave the other for dead' on the road. I don't think this is a good basis for comparison, not only that but who honestly races and tries to 'leave the other one' for dead on the road? It's not sensible, safe or smart. It's downright dangerous and irresponsible.

I think a fair discussion would be asking people what they enjoy most about their Subaru's, and what the pros and cons are of the Suby's against other cars they've driven (there may not be many on here that HAVE actually driven a decent model of Falcon or Commodore - I for one have not).

I think realistically speaking, the Subaru's are cheaper to run than V8's (depends on tune and individual cars obviously), although in saying that the V8's now days certainly don't seem to be as fuel hungry as they used to be. The new VE's are quite nice to the eye in my opinion, so I wouldn't say no to one (I would however say no to the price tag! Depreciation on those things is second to none!). Safety wise, Subaru's do have a really decent safety rating, and I could not comment on the new falcon's / commodore's as I have not done any research in to it.

RWD / AWD comparison - well, when its wet the AWD is handy, but wet roads are perfectly manageable in a RWD or FWD car, you just need to remember to drive sensibly.

I think looking at the current model cars and comparing them, the Subaru gives you more bang for your buck (if you get say a new GT), and most certainly looking back to older models of Commo's and Falcons versus the Liberty's / Legacy's you DO get a much nicer car in the Subaru than the Holden.

My 2c.

Arent Subaru goin a bit broke or something, so theyve pulled out of a lot of the races? Thats what i heard anyways?

They pulled out of the WRC in late Dec '08, so as the 'credit crunch' begins to bite I am guessing they may be focusing their finances on other areas.

#25 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

I don't need to say anything here, all has been covered.. both have their pro's and con's.. and as a B4 owner (previous) a stock SS will slap a stock or mildly modded B4 no problem. also, No one here can tell me, that the sound of a B4 with an exhaust will EVER compete with a V8.. NEVER. I have driven both cars.. and trust me, a V8 will always bring a bigger smile to your face than any turbo car.. the burble on idle, the vibration up your spine, and the throb of the engine through your body, it's something that a 4 banger can NEVER replicate.

#26 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:13 PM

Sounds: V12>V8>B4>WRX>Everything else ;)

#27 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

yeah I agree with the above testimonies.. except.. V12>V10>V8>B4>Gemini>WRX

#28 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

lol thats better

#29 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

No one here can tell me, that the sound of a B4 with an exhaust will EVER compete with a V8.. NEVER.

Have to agree there. I love the sound of the B4 but a nice exhaust on a V8 is in a league of its own.

All cars have pros n cons. After driving the B4, bro's rex and being in a VK V8 (not driven unfortunately), the n/a is a better drive; mainly for its throttle response. Of the three, the B4 drivability lags last imo. My next car will definately be a single or n/a; or a better designed TT like the 911..... :P

#30 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

I own a B4, have driven commonwhore V8's (VK, VL, VP, VT) and been pass. in even more. also been a pass. in XC coupe with 460 big block in it- now that is a beautiful car and yes the SOUND of a V8 is better won't argue there. but nothing makes ME smile more than driving around corners FAST... and still having complete control... you can't do that in a rwd v8 its just not possible- as I said in the beginning get the two on a REAL road and then try tell me the V8's better!!In the beginning I was talking bout cars as a whole package and as a package the B4 shits all over a VY SS!!

#31 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

V8 + Sports exhaust system = happy pants creaming time

#32 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

guy's your B4's aren't as great as you think they are, really.

YES THEY ARE!! LOL

#33 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

Holdens are built poorly, and i can comment on this, i have been in the holden plant... You gotta see some of the dodgey bastards putting them together

#34 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

Holdens are built poorly, and i can comment on this, i have been in the holden plant...
You gotta see some of the dodgey bastards putting them together

LMAO ^^that says it all. so the S in HSV does stand for special...for those "special" people that build em. :lol:

#35 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:17 PM

Possibly haha Our work did a refueling bay upgrade for them, and the "manager" that showed us around wouldnt of passed year 9...

#36 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

Yeah but boys.. Holden / Ford keep people continually putting bread on their table for their family.. remember that.. Subaru / Honda / Toyota keep the chinese and japs well fed.. I know, i'm a hypocrit.. but I bought mine 2nd hand.. which means I kept another aussie guy fed! LOL, Holden build quality died after the VL, VN-VE are crap. In regards to B4 Shitting all over a VY/VZ? hmm.. No. Build quality - Yes Looks - Definitely not. The B4 was nice but also ugly.. I always hated the front of the car..

#37 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

True, im not a huge fan of the looks, does look tuff though

#38 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:35 PM

oh.. and the V8 can take corners WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than the B4.. cause it can take them SIDEWAYS. B4 / WRX fails again.

#39 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

So can the B4 lol

#40 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

but nothing makes ME smile more than driving around corners FAST... and still having complete control... you can't do that in a rwd v8 its just not possible- as I said in the beginning get the two on a REAL road and then try tell me the V8's better!!In the beginning I was talking bout cars as a whole package and as a package the B4 shits all over a VY SS!!

Are you serious? "you can't do that in a rwd"??? Learn how to drive mate. The more you post, the more I realise that you don't have any hard facts to back up your over inflated opinion of the B4.

AWD is not the be all and end all of handling. There are so many RWD cars out there that will out perform an AWD all day, every day. I would so love to see you up against a V8 RWD so that you can eat your words.

Here you are on a Subaru forum debating the virtues of your car over a car that you have no idea about. You have been told by numerous Subaru supporters that your opinion is your own, but you are misguided in thinking that a V8 won't kick your butt.

Clearly you won't listen, so keep going on posting inaccurate information.

We don't want to hear anymore theories, it's boring. We want you to back up your talk by showing us how much faster you think you are than a V8.

Anyone out there with a V8 willing to take this boy to the cleaners? Racing for pinkz yo.

LMAO ^^that says it all. so the S in HSV does stand for special...for those "special" people that build em. :lol:

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. HSV are not built by Holden. HSV is a seperate company, based in Clayton VIC. They receive a stripped down SS, rip it apart and start all over again.

Sorry for being quite direct, it's just very annoying to constantly have to go through this debate with people that are so blind to the performance capabilities of cars outside of the Subaru world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users