Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

#41 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:54 PM

^ yep

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#42 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:45 PM

This thread needs more pics

Agreed!

thisthreadisuselesswiths.jpg

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#43 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 22 July 2020 - 12:24 PM

Alright lads, alright! Just need to pull my finger out and upload them...interior looks near on identical to how my B4 looked, only difference is the new gear knob that the previous owner added after I sold it initially. Still yet to put the leather door cards in, but I'll get there eventually. Exterior wise, now has silver bonnet, with the blue 401 scoop, and haven't bothered putting the brembos on as yet. Probably won't either. Lot of work for not much gain really. Keeping them for the track car but.

Cheers,
Ben

Edit, looks like I need to be on a computer to post image links with this. Started an imgur account tonight and uploaded a heap of conversion photos, but also turns out I pretty well stopped taking photos once I got the majority of the loom into the car. All the good bits like a finished interior, go fast engine sitting in the bay etc is missing. Also didn't take photos of it with both front guards off trying to run the front looms. Seems I was more intent on finishing it than taking happy snaps. Figures, considering the third week I was just trying to finish it.
I'll take some more photos to show how it looks now once I'm back on days off again.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#44 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 07:33 AM

Oh, in other news, the stock heat shield bracket on the VF36 has snapped, leaving one bolt holding the heat shield on. Been like it for a while, but its just recently moved to the point where the two broken edges of the steel bounce and rattle against each other at certain rpms when cold. Its driving me batty, so if anyone can suggest a reputable supplier in aus, that would be awesome. I'll probably get some wrap as well, as the exposed dump steelwork does a pretty good job of warming up the clutch fluid as well...

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#45 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:54 AM

Rising Sun Subaru is probably your best bet. Twinscroll stuff aint super common here as you probably know. Yahoo would be the obvious answer too

tIeW8DE.png

#46 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

Sorry, meant to ask about the turbo beanies, who can I get one from locally. Not real fussed about keeping the heat shield, but need something to keep the heat away from other things.

#47 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:41 PM

Ah right. 

https://www.carmodsa...i-02-20/FXT/LGT

tIeW8DE.png

#48 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:22 PM

Ok, finally got some images uploaded - its incredibly dirty at the moment, but anyways...

HX6KOpp.jpg

ThXhxxo.jpg

VrQKuff.jpg

2qqeuWJ.jpg

rzfQcHa.jpg

rgfOTfl.jpg

txHHYT1.jpg

j0h4L0f.jpg

4kUx785.jpg

QEuEFp0.jpg

Vs0Kc2u.jpg

NQrdfo2.jpg

LQ97WJU.jpg

Sorry for the size, might have to modify the res if they don't scale correctly...

Cheers,

Ben

#49 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

Nice.

Bonnet looks cold!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#50 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 July 2020 - 09:27 PM

Nice spread of pics.

Shame we can’t work THAT quickly in the real world compared to the photo montage!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#51 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:47 PM

It was a freezing day on the day that photo was taken Jase, about 930 or so in the morning, and everything was still frozen.

Yea, would be good Bennie, but dont let the montage fool you, a lot of them arent in order. Total time for the swap was 3 weeks, with about 2 weeks worth of spanner throwing. Having everything required was useful. Couple of trips for some things that were needed I'd forgotten, but on the whole, a pretty good effort I reckon. Only issue was not getting enough bits off the wreck before giving to the salvage man. Still got a bloody ABS light on, due purely because the auto ABS module. Gotta get round to wiring the G sensor into it so it thinks its ok....

End result now is basically the only thing left that is RX is the brakes, coils and springs, main dash, door cards, chassis, and the ABS. Everything else is B4, incl. the fuel cap lol. Door cards and suspension will probably be changed soon anyways. Sway bars have already been swapped, as well as rack, crossmembers, etc. Very little of the RX is left... oh, got to swap the wheel out for the momo at some stage too.

Possibly got head gasket dramas, got lots of bubbles coming up in the header tank, but may swap them out when I do the timing belt which is due in about 5 to 10k, just for piece of mind. Not that much more work really. Will confirm this later before doing it though. Heater hasn't bled properly, as its still not getting lots of heat out, but temp gauge stays solid as a rock.

Hopefully its an easy fix...

Cheers,
Ben

#52 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

Ok, so head gaskets are fine. Thank f#$% for that. There is however an air lock in the heater core. That I will fix later... at least its not the dreaded gaskets!

Cheers,
Ben

#53 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:51 AM

Dunno if it applies to the later model Subaru’s, but in the L series if you got the heater hoses the wrong way around you would always hear gurgling noise or ended up with an air lock that was difficult to shift - then got the gurgling on acceleration. Harder to do on the later models I believe but still possible I guess.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#54 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 05:23 AM

Awesome, cheers for that info Bennie, will confirm this with the FSM later this week once I'm done with work. Hopefully its something simple like that.

#55 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:14 AM

Ok peeps, who is the recommended timing belt manufacturer these days? I've always used Gates, but if people have had any issues, please speak up. Got to do a timing belt change in the next few months, and was going to buy the complete kit off supercrap, inc tensioner, pulleys and water pump. Total price 729 bucks. Dont want to spend the earth, but don't want to get cheap shit either.

Let me know opinions and recommendations.

#56 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 09:47 AM

Fork super cheap. Partsouq for sure.

Mitsuboshi TB are one of the manufacturers for the oem belt and $25. No brainer
https://partsouq.com.../all?q=281XY30

tIeW8DE.png

#57 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 01:55 PM

Yep, partsouq is my go to as well. Only problem I’m having is that they’re out of stock on some of the earlier gear I need. Might have to buy local for those items (ouch).

At that price you could probably import all the bits needed including water pump and oil seals for about the same price or a little less pending the exchange rate.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#58 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

Yea, the subaru branded belt is 150, so I think I'll just go through by vin number and get all my bits that I need

Cheers guys!

#59 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:35 PM

Ok, so put the car up on the hoist again this arvo, and undid the links on the front sway bar, pushed it up so it sat up with the steering arm and then did the links back up. To my surprise, these were loose with the suspension at full droop. Probably why I had so many issues trying to do it with the car on the ground. As soon as I pulled it off the hoist, I could go full lock again. Yay! One less issue.

Also swapped the last bilstien shock over on the pink springs, so I'll probably put these onto the car next break once I can get the car in for an alignment once I change them over.

Also need to sort out a small weep on the oil filter plate where the filter used to sit, as one of the rubber seals on the AN fitting has been crushed to the point it no longer seals and theres a small weep of oil coming from the plate where the AN fitting screws in. Probably sort this next block off, and do an oil and filter change. Still haven't got the bits for the timing belt change, but I'll worry about this next month.

Cheers,
Ben

#60 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:41 PM

Nice one mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users