Photo

Bens old daily, now destined for the track!

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#21 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:31 AM

Ha! Awesome return to a swapped gen3.

'I'll never do that again...'

#22 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:42 AM

Our situations are painfully similar

>Zero luck with various NA engines
>fork it, going back to turbo

tIeW8DE.png

#23 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:02 PM

Our situations are painfully similar

>Zero luck with various NA engines
>fork it, going back to turbo

Since when?? I think you’re teasing us!

Allpaw, that sucks about the NA situation! All the best with the turbo swap, I’m guessing all the difficult wiring stuff was already done with the previous conversion.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#24 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:25 AM

Yea, thats pretty much it. Have not had any luck with this bloody engine at all. Yea, half the reason I havent scrapped the car yet is because I still have all the bits from the previous car. Loom etc is all sitting there just waiting to be dropped in. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be a bastard of a job, pretty well stripping the car to put it in, but the end result will *hopefully* be a hassle free car. Never a fun time hey Nick?

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#25 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

Barbs seems to be too busy painting - so he’s having fun like a kindergarten kid! :P And he’s yet to confirm that he’s actually going to go turbo before rego is done...

I’ve not done a dash pull in the Gen3, but from what I can see in pics of those that have, its much more involved than pulling an L dash or a brumby dash out!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#26 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

No turbo before rego, just NA wont be sticking around like i originally planned

tIeW8DE.png

#27 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

Dash pull in gen 3's is arse. Can confirm when I stripped the old girl all the good bits came from. But engine pulls for the sake of engine pulls is more so.

Much easier to rego then convert. Good to hear it Nick. And those bits you bought look awesome...

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#28 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:47 AM

So this thing now has all the fruit from my original B4, save the shocks and springs, which I will fit later. It now has a genuine 401 bonnet, which is actually more of a pain in the arse than a turbo one, just simply because it does not have the same mounting points for inner ducting for the scoop. It does however, have a larger opening, that the 401 replica scoop fits into much better. Bonnet for the moment is silver, which actually doesn't look too bad with the blue, but its still something that will be changed later down the track.

Also found that 03 RX's got the aluminium bonnet. If anyone wants a lightweight non scooped bonnet, please let me know. Because, you know, you'll go soo much faster without all that added weight...

Still need to take it easy, as it has a tank nearly full of 91 fuel, but I'll deal with that over the next few days.

First drive saw the front sway bar links self destruct and pull apart. Gotta get some more of those too.

Is good to have the lovely sounds of a turbo again!

#29 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:09 AM

awesome

#30 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

Get back on yahoo for the 401 inner ducting  :sarcastic:

Is this running the B4 5 speed or?

tIeW8DE.png

#31 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:15 PM

Im liking this thread. (Except for the busted head gaskets)

Funny how builds change direction.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#32 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Is there a restriction on pics for this thread??

Glad to hear you’re back behind a turbo. With the 91ron fuel, have you thought about adding a bottle of octane booster (if that stuff is still around)?

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#33 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:31 PM

Thanks all!

Nick. Please pm me the deets on this inner duct... stat! I want! I've had a bit of a look, haven't found it YET. I'll keep looking but. Yea, still running the B4 5 speed and LS diff.

Its funny how it all works hey Jase! Its good fun but.

No pics as yet Bennie, but thats only because I haven't had a chance to post them up yet... been busy making it work rather than posting stuff up lol
I'll get there with posting them up next week once I finish work.

Cheers,
Ben

#34 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 09:29 PM

Cant find it Nick! Searched for S401 and trolled through all 151 pages of items lol. No dice! Some bugger must have bought it out from under my nose!

#35 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 09:15 PM

So I finally emptied the tank of 91 today, and gave it a solid drink of 98.

Gave it a couple of minutes to flush the 91 from the lines and injectors, and then finally pushed the throttle down to full open....

Holy shitballs! I forgot what 20+psi feels like! Was a cold evening, so boost control was a little lacking, boost gauge tops out at 20 pound and it swung round past full band and held approx 21 to 22 pound.
Foot flat and things happened! I've been hanging out for that... cannot wait for the drive to work tomorrow. Going to have some fun. Hopefully it doesnt push through into boost cut...

Once I get some time on thursday I'll upload some of the pics. Got a few things I need to sort out with the car before I sit down. Blown the illumination fuse for all the back lighting on the dash buttons which I reckon is a simple case of connecting something I shouldn't have behind the dash. Also the double sided tape has pulled away from the 401 scoop, so I need to pull the scoop off and fix this up. It also needs the sway bar links replaced.

Stay posted!

Cheers,
Ben

#36 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:36 PM

So the new links are installed, but I haven't fitted them properly, as they rub against the inside of the front wheels on full lock. Found my old S401 front sway in the shed a week ago, complete with links, so I'll install that probably tomorrow, should fix the issue.
Brake lights are fixed as well, the B4 loom plug on the brake pedal didn't have the cruise control contact, so the B4 plug would not fit into the RX pedal. Swapped over the plug and wala, brake lights work again.
Also fitted load resistors to the front indicators, so the fast flashing is fixed. Be nice to be able to use indicators without looking like a dick with a blown globe any more.
Still don't have any backlighting on the buttons around the dash with lights on, but I'm not particularly phased about this just yet. I've gone so far as to checking fuses, and they're all fine, but havent been bothered checking any further. Life gets in the way.
She'll be right. I'll get it sorted eventually.
Also, rather confusingly, I have what I think is a suspect front oxy sensor, it flags up as no signal immediately after starting the engine when cold. I think the heater in the sensor is stuffed, cos after a minute of running, restart the engine and the check engine light disappears and doesn't come back. Happens religiously when started from cold... doing my head in. Don't want to buy a new sensor if I can help it, but may be forced to.

Cheers,
Ben

#37 ChrisLovell

ChrisLovell

Southwest Mexican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Motorsports and flying

Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:57 PM

What an absolute bucket :P

Nah just kidding. Time to work on my car though

outback Rs edit

Threads: Chris' MY01 Outback

Chris' MY93 RS Turbo

#38 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Yea, it is lol, but it's my bucket!

Ordered a new front oxy sensor from japanparts last week, in hopes of getting rid of the sporadic CEL. Will keep it as a spare for the just in case, but hopefully the new one sorts the issue.

Other than that, its all going as usual. Drives to work and still gets around the 10 to 11 litres per hundred, despite my enjoyment using the right foot on occasion.

Cheers,
Ben

#39 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 08:59 AM

Finally got the wiring extended on the loom side of the oxy sensor. Not a great way to do it, as the loom consists of a fairly heavy guage copper for the heater circuit and a small, but properly shielded pair for the sense circuit. I didn't realise this when I grabbed some wiring from the shed, so its just got some standard wire for the extra half meter or so. Few crimp links later, and hey presto, no more check engine light! Will probably fix this when the engine comes out for the track car, but for now she'll be right. Went down to the mechanics shop to get the ecu reset again, just so it relearns fuel trims with the working sensor. Few weeks ago I checked the codes just to double check it was only the oxy sensor that was failed, and found that one of the cam position sensors had flagged as well. Gave the area next to the cam sensor a good clean with brake cleaner (was covered in oil residue), and have not had that code show again, so thats a bit of a win.

Also got a better condition front bar coming from a jap spec '03 model coming from yahoo. Not perfect, but has all the covers and in a lot better condition than my bucket of bolts. Will look much better once thats on.

Cheers,
Ben

#40 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,449 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:37 AM

This thread needs more pics

tIeW8DE.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users