2219 replies to this topic

#1 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hey Guys, Got given a six pack of Fat Yak pale ale today for doing a favour for a mate and I have to say I was suprised by how good it was. Anyone tried or has a favourite drop they would like to share??? Cheers!!

#2 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

Hi, FatYak is a Western Australian brew, made by the fine people at Matilda Bay - which is now a knees down operation controlled by the big east. A nice pale ale, though heavily Americanised - throw more cascade hops at it, she'll go fine! - A style pioneered in Oz by Little Creatures. If this is a street you'd like to find yourself on often, try this; Mac's Brewery Hop Rocker Pilsener Product of NZ - but a funky twist on a traditional taste. Very much a hop driven beer, although a different category than the Pale Ale Fat Yak - trying a Pilsener might unleash your senses into the more sophisticated palette world of the mighty Pils. FYI - I love BEER threads. Cheers, Nik

#3 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:51 AM

Glad to see a beer thread on here finally :D

#4 Pete S

Pete S

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

The other night a mate of mine bought a can of 'Hammer N Tongs' just because it was the cheapest beer sold at 1st choice ($2). Apparently undrinkable, ended up throwing it out lol.

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

its meant to be a good beer thread pete! not one where you think they're worthy of smearing one on a windshield...

#6 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

FatYak is a Western Australian brew, made by the fine people at Matilda Bay - which is now a knees down operation controlled by the big east. A nice pale ale, though heavily Americanised - throw more cascade hops at it, she'll go fine! - A style pioneered in Oz by Little Creatures.

If this is a street you'd like to find yourself on often, try this;

Mac's Brewery
Hop Rocker Pilsener

Product of NZ - but a funky twist on a traditional taste. Very much a hop driven beer, although a different category than the Pale Ale Fat Yak - trying a Pilsener might unleash your senses into the more sophisticated palette world of the mighty Pils.

FYI - I love BEER threads.

Cheers,
Nik

Thanks Nik,
I have to try Little Creatures,Hop Rocker and Sebastian Reserve now from recomendations.
Tried a Steinlager Pure the other day was a nice crisp beer.

This is a GOOD BEER thread,no bad experiences allowed

#7 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:00 AM

Thanks Nik,
I have to try Little Creatures,Hop Rocker and Sebastian Reserve now from recomendations.
Tried a Steinlager Pure the other day was a nice crisp beer.

This is a GOOD BEER thread,no bad experiences allowed

C'mon, you can have a GOOD BEER thread and bad experiences all together can't you?
Surely depends on how big a night it was. :D
I enjoyed a nice Erdinger Hefeweizen with some crumbed shnitzel the other night. Went together well.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#8 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

I enjoyed a nice Erdinger Hefeweizen with some crumbed shnitzel the other night. Went together well.

Yup. Screw this "match white wine and chicken" junk, zee german's know where its at.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hi, If you're enjoying something like a Steinlager, I'd say without criticism, you must be fairly early into your beer appreciation days. Not a bad thing at all, but if you start taking some of these suggestion from this thread to your bottle shop, I guarantee within a couple of months you'll just about have to pass on something as simple as a Steinlager. The best step from the simple lager to something more serious is through the always open door of the Pilsener. Amatil Coca Cola now distribute the king of all pils' - Pilsner Urquell - which is a good thing, something that used to be $25/6pack is now about $15 - definitely start there. Give it a try and tell us how you go. If anyone in other states is interested in a beer trade - eg. boutique breweries that don't distribute outside their home state - I've done this before and it worked quite well. Matching beer and food. Ugh. That's a whole other thread! By the way; this is just my opinion. Beer is a personal as girl selection. Cheers, Nik

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:19 AM

welcome aboard old mate :)

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

Hi Alex, Thanks for the kind welcome mate. I'll be trying a few far out beers this weekend actually, I'll remember to take my camera to the tasting. Hopefully. Cheers, Nik

#12 Claydog

Claydog

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Ha Ha Frank, got some Little Creatures pilsner to try couldn't get Hop Rocker Pilsner from bottleshop but will keep looking. Nik,I'm only about 23years into beer appreciation,but the first 20 years were to get drunk fast.

#13 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hi Clay, The great part about these beers is they're often a bit higher in alcohol by weight than your standard fair. Thus, gets jobs done real quick. Cheers, Nik

#14 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

woooooooooooo, beer thread :D

Beer: as it should be - Just 4 magical items
Posted Image

These are some of the beers I have tried. I lost count around the 60 mark so started to take pics :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stuff goes here

#15 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

Hi Richo, Looks like you been hard at it. IBS sample pack in there by any chance? I've got one of the Flying Dog's in my collection, but it's a straight pale ale from memory...? I'll try and snap a couple pics tonight. You've got some rough ones in there too, Mash Mex! Nasty stuff, eh? Squires Hop Thief wasn't bad at all for a mass produced beer - limited production, I wondered what that actually meant when I got a sixer. How many units you reckon they made? Weihenstephaner original, nice, or Pilsener, nice. Oldest brewery in the world still making awesome bier! Cheers, Nik

#16 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Weihenstephaner original

One of my long-time fav's :)

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#17 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:07 PM

Ahh some nice German beers above. I was in Germany last year and 1 euro got me 500ml of pleasure. Even on the subway, the bus, well.....everywhere and anytime. So many choices I went crazy. But fighting a paunch these days keeps me on the reds.

Posted Image

#18 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Looks like you been hard at it.

Hardly, unless you call drinking lots of different beers hard :D

IBS sample pack in there by any chance? I've got one of the Flying Dog's in my collection, but it's a straight pale ale from memory...? I'll try and snap a couple pics tonight.

Nuh, but IBS is essentially my local bottel-o so I'm there once or twice a month, I know what types of beers I like now so I tend to get different brands and match them to what I have already tried. I also get atleast 1 different thing each time (as in odd brand, odd bottle (thats how I came across the st peters organic - nice) or different style to what I have tried in the past), problem is, now I'm at the point where its hard to find things in english heheh. Flying dog, I didn't like their IPA but the golden and triple was nice (la fin du monde i think is nicer).

You've got some rough ones in there too, Mash Mex! Nasty stuff, eh?

Bondi Blonde is.... by far and away worserrrrraaaaa, but yeah, that mex is horid.

Squires Hop Thief wasn't bad at all for a mass produced beer - limited production, I wondered what that actually meant when I got a sixer. How many units you reckon they made?

It wasn't bad, but I didn't find it overly pleasent. IBS had ~4 or 5 cartons in shop... about 2 weeks after it was on their mail out... so lots :D hahaha

Weihenstephaner original, nice, or Pilsener, nice. Oldest brewery in the world still making awesome bier!

When all else fails, I still reach for a heffe (or a Saison Regal)

Stuff goes here

#19 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi,

Ahh. Saison Regal, that little red rooster is a symbol of joy. I was going to give myself a stagger in regurgitating all my favourite beers, otherwise everyone might think I'm an alcoholic.

Posted Image

Love it.

To anyone reading thinking, hmm, sounds about time for me to broaden my beer drinking horizons, my major number one tip is to buy yourself a nice tulip style glass. Versatile for all the beer style, strictly different styles should have different shapes, but a tulip like this one pictured above is a great all rounder. Picked it up for about $13 bucks if I remember correctly? Or maybe it was part of one of the beer packs from IBS.... Richo?

Gulpener; this stuff is next level.

Posted Image

Cheers,
Nik

#20 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

Mine was in one of the packs I have grabbed - can't recall which... but for the little roster beer, I have some glasses :D yayayay :yahoo: Not tried the Gulpener, I'll have to keep my eye out for it

Stuff goes here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users