←  Anything Goes

Suby Club

»

BEER THREAD

Brett's Photo Brett 05 Feb 2014

New recipe Bright Ale should be hitting the shelves in the next few weeks. Look out for the new packaging. The cartons are more a mustard yellow colour and have the same sort of styling as the Pale ale cartons. The six packs and bottle labels are almost orangey. Theres more emphasis on the Little Creatures than the "Bright"ale in the new packaging, which puts it more in line with the rest of the range.

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 05 Feb 2014

Does it have this on the front?

ぱっちり

Richo's Photo Richo 06 Feb 2014

lewl

Brett's Photo Brett 06 Feb 2014

Funny coming from the guy that wants to make sake.

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 06 Feb 2014

Oooh burn

Brett's Photo Brett 08 Feb 2014

Asahi - i genuinely dont understand why people pay a premium for this. Theres just nothing remarkable about it. Save youre money and buy local lager would be my tip.

Trummer Pils - i like. Delicate, spicy/zesty hops aroma, nice malt characteristics. Good summer drinking.

Richo's Photo Richo 08 Feb 2014

I'm running sly dog
By running, I mean drinking

Pilsner Urquell - very similar hop profile to the Trummer. More bitterness though which is nice.

Becks - sweeter than the other two european big boys. Similar deal though.

Hypnotic's Photo Hypnotic 08 Feb 2014

I find Becks to have very little flavour.

Yep i do too normally. That why i wanted to do a back to back with a bunch of lagers. I always thought they were all pretty much the same. Then i thought maybe it was because i dont drink them much. But tonight had confirmed it for me.

Birra Moretti - kind of a nutty flavour on the mid palate. Super clean finish. But it has a horrid dirty yeast aroma. Reminds me of our waste yeast tanks.

Brett's Photo Brett 09 Feb 2014

DAB - not bad. Probably get this again when I'm feeling like a lager

But, the best bit is cracking into a
Pale Ale straight after. Flavour central. Massive mango is what I'm getting after the spicy hops if the lager.

Richo's Photo Richo 12 Feb 2014

so im thinking its about time i tried home brewing... anyone who does it got some tips on what to get, where to go. what to avoid (or resources such as forums). I think i would prefer to do all grain.

Im not in it to get pissed, just wanna be able to go to the fridge and get something that does not taste bad

While I would love a setup like Nik has, my budget for this will be.... lacking.

Brett's Photo Brett 12 Feb 2014

Start with stove top brew in a bag Richo. I can do 10L batches, which sounds like a lot of effort for little beer, but its ideal while youre learning . Because drinking 30L of shit beer sucks, and tipping it is pretty sad too.
Its easy, it doesnt take as long as a full mash all grain brew day, and you can do it more often to get more experience.
Oh an invest in a keggerator. More for temp control on your ferments to begin with.

Richo's Photo Richo 12 Feb 2014

Defo on the kegerator, or maybe a second hand fridge/bar fridge and one of those cheap temp controllers

How long does it take to get the wort to the boil ?

I was almost thinking of building a rig like the brew belly myself, but then I realised I'm crap at stuff like that hehe. hmmm, maybe the old man could help rig something up

Brett's Photo Brett 13 Feb 2014

Boil time will depend in your heat source, kettle volume etc.
I wouldnt spend big until youre happy you can produce something worthy of a larger batch.
Making wort is pretty easy. Turning it to a good beer is the tricky part.

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 13 Feb 2014

Hey Brett, I brewed and pitched a single batch of boring yesterday, but I forgot to pitch for a double brew - should I use a separate fermenter today, or do you think it would be OK to go into?

Brett's Photo Brett 13 Feb 2014

So you brewed a single and pitched for a single and you now want to brew another into the same fermenter?
How far apart are we talking time wise?

Id probably err on the side of caution and use a separate fermenter. Youre probably well into ferment now and you probably want to avoid oxygen pickup.