Photo

EJ251 and EJ201/202 camshafts physically same?

Camshaft EJ251 EJ201 EJ202 EJ251 EJ202 EJ201 camshaft

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

Gday all,

Im hoping to find out if EJ251camshafts are the same size physically to EJ201 and/or EJ202 camshafts.

Im trying do some research to see if these can be interchanged between the various engines and heads. So far Ive come up short on any info - and I dont have any to physically compare to find out myself.

Reason for this is thoughts of buying cams with a grind from one engine to put into the other, but want to be sure theyll swap in no worries.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 03 June 2021 - 10:51 PM

Go on car sales
Find cars in victoria that have those engines
Put the rego into the vicroads rego check
Get the vins
Put the vins into Partsouq
Compare part numbers
????
Profit

tIeW8DE.png

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Barbs. I looked into this after your suggestion.

The EJ201/2 (2001 foz) has different part numbers to the EJ251 (2000 RX Lib) camshafts.

Model________Engine______RHS camshaft p/n____LHS camshaft p/n
2001 SF Foz/GD9
Impreza______EJ201/202____13020AA542________13022AA511
2003 Lib GX/2006 GD9
Impreza______EJ201/202____13020AA542________13022AA511
2000 Lib RX/2002 SG
Foz___________EJ251______13020AA512________13022AA481
2006 SG9 Foz__EJ253______13020AA610________13022AA580 (AVS - correct?)
2008 SH9 Foz__EJ253______13020AA720________13022AA690 (AVS - correct?)

2008 GE9 Impreza goes to DOHC so theyre out (thought Id see how far up the models the part number go)

So it still doesnt answer the question exactly. It seems logical that the profiles of the cams would be different between the different displacements to accommodate different power figures and delivery of that power.

Going by the parts diagrams they look to be physically the same - but the diagrams are exactly the same too. Being Subaru-Lego, Id expect the camshafts to interchange without issue so long as youre not mixing AVS (or whatever its called) from the EJ253 into the EJ2X1 stuff (I suspect - this is all theory at this point in time).

Im hoping someone can compare for me. Or Ill have to wait until I can check it out at PAP, which will be an effort (and cold!), and a number of weeks away.

It was interesting investigating this anyway.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 04 June 2021 - 04:27 PM

Go on car sales
Find cars in victoria that have those engines
Put the rego into the vicroads rego check
Get the vins
Put the vins into Partsouq
Compare part numbers
????
Profit

^This

It seems logical that the profiles of the cams would be different between the different displacements to accommodate different power figures and delivery of that power.

Pretty much. Profiles could also be altered for emission requirements or vehicle gearing.

If you can find a set and they are physically the same, and you wanted to spend the cash, places like Clive Cams here in Melb can run their profiler over it and give you the 'grind' specs. You could then see how different two profiles were to each other.

Having said that, it could easily be a lot of frigging around for not much gain.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#5 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 June 2021 - 05:29 PM

If you can find a set and they are physically the same, and you wanted to spend the cash, places like Clive Cams here in Melb can run their profiler over it and give you the 'grind' specs. You could then see how different two profiles were to each other.

Having said that, it could easily be a lot of frigging around for not much gain.

Thanks Jase,

At this point in time I reckon I’ll sit on it. The project is still ages away but I wanted to get my ducks in a row first. Knowing there’s places around that do can grinds (I didn’t think about this) will be handy later on, hopefully they don’t cost a pot load to do grinds - haven’t looked into it that far yet.

I’m certain the cams are physically interchangeable but would still like to investigate this to confirm.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 05 June 2021 - 09:34 PM

I suppose another option is to re-grind an existing cam to the profile you want.
However, doing this will reduce the 'base circle' of the lobe and cause the valve geometry to be out if the valve adjuster screw alone is used to restore valve clearance.
To solve this you could see if suitable 'lash adjusters'are available to sit on the valve tip to make up what is lost from the lobe base circle.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 June 2021 - 10:37 AM

Hmmm. Hadn’t thought about that. Will have to do some investigation into that.

There’s a cam grind from Delta cams called a 1500 grind. They used to use a 2000/1000 grind until they apparently made the 1500 grind for the NA/t crew. My project will be a bit different and that’s where the doubt creeps in.

There’s a set of cams available with the 1500 grind for the 251 heads. I’m using 201/202 (can never remember what the difference is!) heads and a 2L block. Still loads to do so it’ll probably be some time before i get to post any outcomes - and I’ll be sure to do that with whichever way it goes.

A cam grind that mimics the factory DOHC could be the best outcome here. Time (and some coin) will tell on this front.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Camshaft, EJ251, EJ201, EJ202, EJ251 EJ202 EJ201 camshaft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users