• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#81 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:26 AM

Hmm, can you get exhaust upgrades to help the tune/performance without losing the current stealth value? I really don't want to make it any louder or bring any attention to it.

When you say cooler upgrade, what do you mean exactly? CAI or more than that?

cooler = intercooler.

the majority of noise of an exhaust is governed by the muffler. you can bolt on new dumps and catback and use the stock muffler, however it will be a bit restrictive.

MY07 GT spec B

#82 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

Hmm, can you get exhaust upgrades to help the tune/performance without losing the current stealth value? I really don't want to make it any louder or bring any attention to it.

When you say cooler upgrade, what do you mean exactly? CAI or more than that?

CAI will help get intake temp down

Is the stock exhaust itself on them (B4's) really THAT bad??

#83 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

you can drive around in any temperature... just dont boost its head off!

True, but boost is gooooood! :) Summer's the time of the B4 pinging/limp-mode. Driving around on half pound of boost is like driving my dad's 76 corona hauling a 2-tonne campervan.

First thing to do if/when you get it, go for a retune as the summer days will blow your engine away.

#84 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

You dont need an upgraded intercooler, me and chadza have the stock intercooler and they work fine for the Adelaide climate

#85 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:54 AM

You dont need an upgraded intercooler, me and chadza have the stock intercooler and they work fine for the Adelaide climate

Yes you do.

#86 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

Yes you do.

Mine runs 100% fine with the stock cooler, even on warmer days,
obviously if i used it as a track car etc. i would think of upgrading it, i just dont see the need for it atm

#87 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

upgraded cooler makes a HUGE difference to inlet temps. lower intake temps = safer. lower intake temps = more power. bigger cooler = greater capacity = more power. after exhaust its one of the best bang for buck mods for power/safety.

MY07 GT spec B

#88 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

Even with stock tune I've noticed a BIG difference since putting the bigger TM (cheers cracka) on. It may seem fine (but it is the only one you've driven) even if you don't see the need for it you should still get one... Its like tyres... cheap shitty tyres will get you around but you still buy good ones to be safe... same principle. one keeps you alive the other keeps your eng alive.

#89 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

Im pretty sure the stock cooler will be fine. Sure bigger is better, but not necesary for it to be fast and drivable.

#90 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

what them lads said.

you will never know if you never do it.

biggest load of baloney i've heard today.

"You dont need an upgraded intercooler"

YES YOU DO!!

#91 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

In this case though, when Darren wants to upgrade one day, im sure a B4 with a stock cooler will be more than enough performance for him! YOU DO NOT NEED TO UPGRADE THE COOLER :P mine has plenty of power (more than some people with a front mount cooler) to be fun and usable

#92 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:31 AM

In this case though, when Darren wants to upgrade one day, im sure a B4 with a stock cooler will be more than enough performance for him!

YOU DO NOT NEED TO UPGRADE THE COOLER :P
mine has plenty of power (more than some people with a front mount cooler) to be fun and usable

It's not all about performance its about keeping the car alive... extra power is just a bonus.

one other thing (and I'm NOT taking a shot at ya) but if you don't know what pinging is/sounds/feels like how do you know yours isn't?

#93 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

In this case though, when Darren wants to upgrade one day, im sure a B4 with a stock cooler will be more than enough performance for him!

YOU DO NOT NEED TO UPGRADE THE COOLER :P
mine has plenty of power (more than some people with a front mount cooler) to be fun and usable

I am now going to challenge your credibility.

I have owned a Twin Turbo with a TMIC.

I didn't think I needed an Intercooler other than the Standard one.

One day, I upgraded my IC to an aftermarket one.

BIG SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!

Yeah, you don't need it.

But you don't need ping either.

But then you don't need a turbo car neither.

Trade it on.

Buy a Corolla.

GTFO.

#94 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

I am now going to challenge your credibility.

I have owned a Twin Turbo with a TMIC.

I didn't think I needed an Intercooler other than the Standard one.

One day, I upgraded my IC to an aftermarket one.

BIG SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!

Yeah, you don't need it.

But you don't need ping either.

But then you don't need a turbo car neither.

Trade it on.

Buy a Corolla.

GTFO.

Just a standard B4 with a Tune has Zero ping too, therefore doesnt hurt the engine,
yes a aftermarket cooler would be better, but costs too much for little gain, when the little top mount does its job (with a tune this is)

#95 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

plus a decent upgraded cooler costs in excess of 1000 dollars, 1000 dollars worth of suspension upgrades would be a greater benifit

#96 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:51 AM

My (and Hawks) FMIC was around the $600 mark. Works fine but will wait till summer to see the main diff. Power shouldn't be the only reason for going for a bigger TM or FM. Sure extra power comes with improved cooling, but as Alex noted, its more to ensure your car doesn't go bang one day as unfortunately quite a few B4 owners have experienced. But, everyone to their own. IMO, rather be safe than sorry.

#97 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

My (and Hawks) FMIC was around the $600 mark. Works fine but will wait till summer to see the main diff. Power shouldn't be the only reason for going for a bigger TM or FM. Sure extra power comes with improved cooling, but as Alex noted, its more to ensure your car doesn't go bang one day as unfortunately quite a few B4 owners have experienced. But, everyone to their own. IMO, rather be safe than sorry.

I like the look of those front mounts, but i dont like how you need to cut the shit out of your front bar, crash bar, remove your fog lights, and move the reservoir tank,
I would only go frount mount if it looked professional like Alex's

Ill stick with my factory Top mount :sarcastic:

#98 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

Just a standard B4 with a Tune has Zero ping too, therefore doesnt hurt the engine,
yes a aftermarket cooler would be better, but costs too much for little gain, when the little top mount does its job (with a tune this is)

plus a decent upgraded cooler costs in excess of 1000 dollars, 1000 dollars worth of suspension upgrades would be a greater benifit

Come on dude, you're not serious are you?

Go down to your local Subaru and ask them about pinging in the B4's. If you think that a 'stock' b4 tune won't ping at all well good luck to you.

A lot of people here have talked about the benefits of an upgraded top mount - ask ANY tuner around - maybe S&J and see what they have to say.

One of my mates recently got a tune done on his B4 at Pulse Racing, completely stockers B4 (mesh BBS rims), manual. Drove in and dyno'd around 105kw ATW, retune for about 15psi on secondary and left with 145kw atw and a nice smile.

That's out of a stock B4, stock exhaust, intake etc., and a safe tune.

#99 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

No, i said a B4 with a Tune (like mine) Standard Top mount + No ping, 180kw atw, much more power than just upgrading the cooler, and no engine troubles

#100 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

I hear what your saying Walts, and I completely agree that our cars PROBABLY will be safe during summer with the tunes we have. BUT- a new TMIC is on the cards for me before the end of this year. Dunno if you owned your B4 during an Adelaide February (where Adelaide seems to get at least 5-10 days over 40degrees EVERY FEB these days!) But Im not keen to "see if it lasts"!! My strong recommendation to you is if you are not keen to get a bigger TMIC, then PLEASE get a CAI. Preferably a Hyperflow (cause they are awesome!) but it doesn't have to be. Even with the tune and not thrashing it, those are some SERIOUSLY HOT intake temps on a 40degree day with a stock intake and cooler, just think heat soak at the traffic lights. :diablo: For me I don't give two hoots if I get 0.00001 KW gain out of a new TMIC, its all about keeping the detonation away in summer!! Id rather spend $1000 on my own terms rather than 4-5K with a rebuild when I dont choose to!
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users