»

GX conversion

Soop's Photo Soop 26 Feb 2009

STi badges on GX's are an acronym for "Sexual Transmitted Illness."

Xon's Photo Xon 26 Feb 2009

and completely legal.

No it's not.

Nah it pretty well is. 99% would be user certifiable.

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 26 Feb 2009

If people are stupid enough to believe its an STI GX liberty with mass power or what not then its there problem. Lets just leave the badge be :) Xon do tell me more bout this I never had enough money to buy alex's ej25 at the time but now that's changed a bit :D aekone said he had one but never got back to me... I don't want a H6 and forced induction is outta the question Thanks lance :) I looked at the chrome strip today and it nearly looks like it will pull of and could be glued back on.

Why would you take a reliable 70hp motor out and replace it with a head gasket happy 75hp motor?

I'm not saying it's illegal to do it, I'm saying it's illegal to drive. P plater rules state you must not drive a modified vehicle, and since the EJ25 was never an option on the Gen1, you can't really argue that's how it came. Having said that, visually there's really no difference - certainly none that a random check will pick up, so if you're still keen shoot me a PM.

Probably the same reason you'd own an SS commodore and be on a subaru forum. The ej25 would be a nice upgrade

Paul every time you talk about your engine all you do is talk about torque - why is it suddenly irrelevant when talking about a Subaru? The power difference is not *huge* but the torque difference is definitely a big improvement.

Blaeven's Photo Blaeven 26 Feb 2009

what's wrong with the H6?? other than being hard to make legal... al (or miles?) mentioned something about lots of gen1 guys putting quad cam EJ25s in their cars... he said they become quite zippy...

How much did your conversion cost tristen? :P I really don't wanna be in debt next 5years of my life. By the looks of things ej25 will be going in :D...then I'l need a gearbox to handle all that NA power...haai soop

DukeNik'em's Photo DukeNik'em 26 Feb 2009

MY01-03 engine into a 90-92 car.....sounds a safe alternate, and modified isn't a huge problem Xon, cops won't pick it up, you can get it past all the regualtaions easier than Tristan will, and I'd hide behind the excuse "Engine blew up, Subaru don't make 2.2's anymore, had to go with 2.5 yadda yadda", and the 2.5s go great guns for an N/A, an absolute great upgrade from the GEN I EJ22, and Paul won't tell you this, but he was considering a DOHC 2.5 conversion....waaaay back. Definitely something to consider, but whatever you don't buy a Cosworth 2.5, cos' that'd be silly and egotistical, right Xon? :P Biggest win would be too wait till you're off your P's and buy a turbo'd car......or prepare your car for a budget Turbo conversion now. Nick

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 26 Feb 2009

STi badges on GX's are an acronym for "Sexual Transmitted Illness."

mines got one and with its Sexual transmitted illness will still smoke you:P

Soop's Photo Soop 27 Feb 2009

Pft you wish Jnr. Why wouldn't I have told them that Nik? (You honestly just reminded me). It'd be a pretty straight forward swap. You may need the ECU plug modified to suit the EJ25d (presuming your going with the DOHC engine), other than that, use the exhaust manifold from an Ej22 and it'll bolt right in. No need for a stronger gearbox. I beleive that due to the engine essentially being the same (EJ > EJ) you shouldn't need an engineers certificate, unless the engine produces 25% more power than the original. Which it could well do, you'd need to sus that for your self. IIRC the gen3 SOHC ej25 might be a harder to fit, due to the wiring being substantially different. The only advantage would be, that the SOHC variant is less prone to headgasket failure. Xon - I thought you'd know better than to bite like that :P

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 27 Feb 2009

Its a 98 rx engine, or so I've been told :P Wirring shall be done my mate and me over some time... might crack open the engine and unlesh some awesome NA power. A haltech or somthing might be fun at some stage. :)

DukeNik'em's Photo DukeNik'em 27 Feb 2009

Pft you wish Jnr.
Why wouldn't I have told them that Nik? (You honestly just reminded me).

I dunno, I'm yet to understand the mystery that is Paul. But yeah, in my books, for an NA conversion it's not really a conversion, just adding .3 litre and a bit more reliance, and a tad more go, winding back your engine's age by 6-7 years, should be easy as, and as Paul pointed out not much trouble. And I agree with cracking it open, a bit of work'd gain you at least a little something, need to work hard for NA gains.

98 RX engine must've been easy to come by, considering the amount of RX owners having a streak of originality and bolting in Rex motors.

Nick

Blaeven's Photo Blaeven 27 Feb 2009

I dunno, I'm yet to understand the mystery that is Paul. But yeah, in my books, for an NA conversion it's not really a conversion, just adding .3 litre and a bit more reliance, and a tad more go, winding back your engine's age by 6-7 years, should be easy as, and as Paul pointed out not much trouble. And I agree with cracking it open, a bit of work'd gain you at least a little something, need to work hard for NA gains.

98 RX engine must've been easy to come by, considering the amount of RX owners having a streak of originality and bolting in Rex motors.

Nick

i'm fairly certain that you won't need an engineers certificate... as the engine capacity doesn't increase by more than 15%...

power doesn't have anything to do with it AFAIK... it's all to do with capacity...

but you'll need to get a "change of records" blue slip (for about $30)

best bet is to call some blue slippers and see what they think...

but i'm 90% sure you won't need to get it engineered...

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 27 Feb 2009

Yeah I already know about the blue slip thingo.but thanks anyway. Well this is all good to go on my end. Hope luke goes through with his conversion :) haha Will an aftermarket ecu for an rs imprez run it it? Or a stock rs imprez ecu with the plug for making heaps of power fit? A wrx 4.11 gearboc I'd like to put it in not to long after the engine cause my box has done 370,000kms need I say more? Also the wrx box will be good if I do a turbo conversion in 2years

Yeah I already know about the blue slip thingo.but thanks anyway.

Well this is all good to go on my end. Hope luke goes through with his conversion :) haha

Will an aftermarket ecu for an rs imprez run it it? Or a stock rs imprez ecu with the plug for making heaps of power fit?

A wrx 4.11 gearboc I'd like to put it in not to long after the engine cause my box has done 370,000kms need I say more? Also the wrx box will be good if I do a turbo conversion in 2years

better off going with a gen3 RX box... they're same ratio, just as strong... and cheaper afaik...

mine was about $1200 with a diff to match....

DRIVER's Photo DRIVER 27 Feb 2009

Yeah I already know about the blue slip thingo.but thanks anyway.

Well this is all good to go on my end. Hope luke goes through with his conversion :) haha

Will an aftermarket ecu for an rs imprez run it it? Or a stock rs imprez ecu with the plug for making heaps of power fit?

A wrx 4.11 gearboc I'd like to put it in not to long after the engine cause my box has done 370,000kms need I say more? Also the wrx box will be good if I do a turbo conversion in 2years

Personally great for considering a conversion, but like Nik said save your $$$ and penies for a turbo conversion in 2 years time, because your doing all this hard labour for not much gain, unless u enjoy hard labour?

I'd consider the following before handing $$$ for a second hand 98 rx motor with xxxx amount of km's and hard trashing by ownders over the 11 years of its life.
Is your engine dead or blowing smoke or is likely to die in the next few months or is it going to hold out 2 years.

If all these things are more positive then negative ie then by almeans do the ej25 conversion but if things can hold out then save your money for a turbo engine and be happier in 2 years time with less money spent and possably a better engine as well, as the new cars now the engines are harder to find but in a few years time u mikght even be able to get a wrx sti motor out of a i dont know current wrx with nice power etc, this is just an example... but something to consider mate...

or you could always consider taking this path and buying a car like this and taking bits off it
http://www.pickles.c...lotid-202101791
http://www.pickles.c...lotid-202101811
http://www.pickles.c...lotid-202101800

or you could always consider taking this path and buying a car like this and taking bits off it
http://www.pickles.c...lotid-202101791
http://www.pickles.c...lotid-202101811
http://www.pickles.c...lotid-202101800

fark me... why is that pignose there as damaged??

"minor dents and scratches and mechanical problems"??

looks pretty good to me