82 replies to this topic

#1 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

so my b4 has had an ecutek tune, 500hp walbro pump, new plugs. the ecutek2 tune was customised, with an extra couple of degrees pulled out at the load points mine was prone to pinging. car was tuned on a 39 degree day, too. car always runs BP ultimate. well the darn thing is still pinging sometimes. noticed it in the 40+ degree weather the weekend after the tune. today was a mere 32. i was not stuck in traffic. i did a data log and inlet temps were <40 degrees, engine temp 83-87 - so not really too warm. after coming on boost with the secondary (revved to a total of 5600rpm), the IAM had gone from 15 to 11. driving later on it had cooled down to around 26. IAM was still 11, and ECU detected knock at 2000rpm coming on boost. seriously - what the heck is wrong with my car? tuner said he's tuned about 60 B4's and mine is one of the worst 5 for pinging. so effectively i have a car that is completely useless if the temperature is over 25. i can't believe it's some issue with the mintor differences in compression between engines, etc. there has to be something else contributing. surely it can't have lasted 160k kms if it's been pinging since day 1. so has anyone else 'fixed' a badly pinging b4?

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

What sort of intake?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:21 AM

retune time again?? I dropped the compression ratio on mine to about 8.5 - 8.7 (not 100% sure but in that range) and with a tune I have not noticed ping since....... before that the original engine actually died from detonation and melted piston 3 :(

#4 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

Where did you get it tuned mate? (shouldn't make much difference with ecutek) 60 plus B4's is a lot of experience, Was it S&J or MRT?

#5 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

Sean from S&J tuned it. I did call him and he said he's happy to tweak it further, worst case i can drive him around while he's data logging. i'll probably do this once the weather heats up more. car is totally stock otherwise including inlet. I guess I'm just having a hard time believing these things just ping badly and thats all there is too it - there has to be a specific problem causing it surely?

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

It may be because the Ecutek is made to be used with other mods, like Fuel pump, intake and exhaust?

#7 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:21 AM

sorry as i said above the car had the fuel pump done at the same time as the tune. sean advised the factory intake is good enough and not to believe all the hype about the hyperflow ones, etc. and that it does require some effort to tune around how the hyperflow cai disrupts the airflow to the MAF sensor causing lean outs. i very much doubt that fitting an exhaust would 'cure' pinging. if this were the case, someone who has tuned 60 B4's would have recommended it, right?

#8 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

sorry as i said above the car had the fuel pump done at the same time as the tune.

sean advised the factory intake is good enough and not to believe all the hype about the hyperflow ones, etc. and that it does require some effort to tune around how the hyperflow cai disrupts the airflow to the MAF sensor causing lean outs.

i very much doubt that fitting an exhaust would 'cure' pinging. if this were the case, someone who has tuned 60 B4's would have recommended it, right?

Yep, Your car has aids, Needs single conversion asap :P

#9 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

so my b4 has had an ecutek tune, 500hp walbro pump, new plugs. the ecutek2 tune was customised, with an extra couple of degrees pulled out at the load points mine was prone to pinging. car was tuned on a 39 degree day, too. car always runs BP ultimate.

well the darn thing is still pinging sometimes. noticed it in the 40+ degree weather the weekend after the tune. today was a mere 32. i was not stuck in traffic. i did a data log and inlet temps were <40 degrees, engine temp 83-87 - so not really too warm. after coming on boost with the secondary (revved to a total of 5600rpm), the IAM had gone from 15 to 11. driving later on it had cooled down to around 26. IAM was still 11, and ECU detected knock at 2000rpm coming on boost.

seriously - what the heck is wrong with my car? tuner said he's tuned about 60 B4's and mine is one of the worst 5 for pinging. so effectively i have a car that is completely useless if the temperature is over 25. i can't believe it's some issue with the mintor differences in compression between engines, etc. there has to be something else contributing. surely it can't have lasted 160k kms if it's been pinging since day 1.

so has anyone else 'fixed' a badly pinging b4?

1.Nulon Octane Boost and Clean
2.Install oil catch can.

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

Mate. Nulon Octane boost / Cleaner is truly the work of satan. I can not un-reccomend it highly enough. The couple of times I ran it in my car when it was in TT configuration, it caused it to run rough. It idled like a pig, and fouled my plugs. Hardly a help for anybody who's suffering ping.

#11 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

2.Install oil catch can.

Huh?? Zif.

Please explain why this will cure his problems?

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

2.Install oil catch can.

Mate, I have been reading your posts with some interest.
May I ask your technical background?
Not having a go, just curious.
Cheers

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#13 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:23 PM

Mate, I have been reading your posts with some interest.
May I ask your technical background?
Not having a go, just curious.
Cheers

I'm interested too, Seems to know a shitload about turbots

#14 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

Maybe your AFM is playin up or on it's way out, or you have a bad batch of fuel

#15 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

so my b4 has had an ecutek tune, 500hp walbro pump, new plugs. the ecutek2 tune was customised, with an extra couple of degrees pulled out at the load points mine was prone to pinging. car was tuned on a 39 degree day, too. car always runs BP ultimate.

well the darn thing is still pinging sometimes. noticed it in the 40+ degree weather the weekend after the tune. today was a mere 32. i was not stuck in traffic. i did a data log and inlet temps were <40 degrees, engine temp 83-87 - so not really too warm. after coming on boost with the secondary (revved to a total of 5600rpm), the IAM had gone from 15 to 11. driving later on it had cooled down to around 26. IAM was still 11, and ECU detected knock at 2000rpm coming on boost.

seriously - what the heck is wrong with my car? tuner said he's tuned about 60 B4's and mine is one of the worst 5 for pinging. so effectively i have a car that is completely useless if the temperature is over 25. i can't believe it's some issue with the mintor differences in compression between engines, etc. there has to be something else contributing. surely it can't have lasted 160k kms if it's been pinging since day 1.

so has anyone else 'fixed' a badly pinging b4?

I was answering his question "so has anyone else 'fixed' a badly pinging b4?" --> yes
I have used the Nulon product several times with good effect and had no problems with it.
However his car has a lot more Kms than mine so in this instance, I would not recommend it.
I believe he recently purchased the car in October so one needs to look at service history?
He seems to have addressed most of the issues to reduce ping.
So I was considering the possibility:
1.Cylinder carbon build up especially with city driving (160k kms engine)--->can reduce ignition temp
Recommend: Power Foam Clean.
2.Oil vapour (Blow By/Crank) vent back to induction coats everything and produces cylinder sludge.. (This increases as the engine wears and if you run higher boost)--->can reduce ignition temp.
Recommend: Fitting Oil Catch Can

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#16 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:14 PM

What spark plugs are you using?
MY02 Liberty B4

#17 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

not 100% sure which plugs, i believe they are the standard heat range platinum plugs. S&J fitted them before the tune. I believe that zanzarah's suggestions are valid, although i've had no experience with the nulon products. i've done 3000km in the car so far and it hasn't used any oil yet. car has a full service history with eblen's and has always been serviced on time etc. i believe it wasn't driven too hard (the original clutch lasted until 159k kms) so carbon build up is a possibility i suppose. by the way when i'm talking about pinging i don't mean constantly pinging. its the odd ping or two here or there. usually it's as its coming on boost, or coming on the secondary. only once have i noticed a bad ping when on boost with the secondary (check engine light flashed and it was clearly audible). however once it was heat soaked from being parked on a 33 degree day and i think i heard it ping right through the rev range like a stock tune supposedly does (i had the tek2 done after owning the car for a week)

#18 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

1.Cylinder carbon build up especially with city driving (160k kms engine)--->can reduce ignition temp
Recommend: Power Foam Clean.

Your correct on that one mate, carbon build up if bad enough will definately increase the chances of ping.

#19 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

original clutch until 159k kms? i'm sorry about the scepticism, but i find that somewhat hard to believe...

#20 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:54 AM

original clutch until 159k kms?

i'm sorry about the scepticism, but i find that somewhat hard to believe...

My original clutch lasted until 125k or until i bought it :sarcastic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users