82 replies to this topic

#41 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

WillC, didn't brendan have that tuned by Kosti and running something like 18PSI on primary and 20PSI on secondary?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what was done by Kosti, it did go alot harder than a standard B4 I think but by the time I got the car it was possibly tinkered by another party therefore changing the tune. It why I got it It wasn't at 20PSi on the secondary.

Right now I'm getting that 187KW sitting on 15 PSi on the secondary.

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#42 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hi Guys,

Kinda related to the B4 pinging thread. As some of you guys might know my B4 used to ping a little bit. I cleaned out the intercooler and hoses with carby cleaner and it HELPED ALOT did wonders, I also used the subaru upper engine cleaner. That stuff is amazing. Anyhow from there today I took my car to the not so local tuner and had it tuned by them to rid myself of the final bits of the pinging. They said my AFR was ugly. Somewhere near the ~13 - 14. He fixed that and now its 11 all day everyday.

I will drive it for a bit and see how it goes so far I have not heard anything at all but it wasn't really a hot day today.

On the side note it did gain quite a few KW from what it had previously. The previous power rating on the Dyno was 126KW. That somehow doesn't seem that right to me. Right now its sitting at 187KW ATW.

Cheers,

Will C
MAX FANGING ! :D

Trust NO ONE.

Buy your own wideband.

Oh. And those figures seem too Disneyland.

#43 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

Wait till i punch mine on a dyno Arex :)

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#44 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

Trust NO ONE.

Buy your own wideband.

Oh. And those figures seem too Disneyland.

Yep, i've got plans for a wideband. Those figures seem fairly universal to me for any B4 with a TBE and CAI.

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#45 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:54 PM

Those figures seem fairly universal to me for any B4 with a TBE and CAI.

Says who?

#46 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

Says who?

Well from about 6 - 7 dyno shootout results from all over the place. ozlib theres quite a few as well.

All that I care about is that there will be no more pinging. If that result is archieved I don't really give two rats about the power since I will be going conversion anyway. The engine just needs to last till then.

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#47 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

Well from about 6 - 7 dyno shootout results from all over the place. ozlib theres quite a few as well.

There's your first problem.

Shootout mode.

Dynos are absolutely known to blow out figures when in this setting.

Second problem.

These 6-7 results. Are they each all from a different dyno?

#48 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

Dyno figures are teh aidz... B4's can do the 190Kw mark with high boost, tbe and a few little things.. not so un-believable but what really counts is how fast the fucker goes down the 1/4 mile :D.. And Alex, they probably are all off different Dynos on different days under different ambient temperatures, intake temp sensor for the dyno in a different position (one trick to inflate power figures) so really.. get it side by side with another car and see how it goes.

#49 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

Josh, what'd you get on Pulse's dyno again?

#50 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

Dyno figures are teh aidz... B4's can do the 190Kw mark with high boost, tbe and a few little things.. not so un-believable

but what really counts is how fast the fucker goes down the 1/4 mile :D..

And Alex, they probably are all off different Dynos on different days under different ambient temperatures, intake temp sensor for the dyno in a different position (one trick to inflate power figures) so really.. get it side by side with another car and see how it goes.

+ rep'd.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And they were going to be my next points of discussion to anyone who reads forums and take dyno figures for gospel.

#51 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:26 AM

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what was done by Kosti, it did go alot harder than a standard B4 I think but by the time I got the car it was possibly tinkered by another party therefore changing the tune. It why I got it It wasn't at 20PSi on the secondary.

Right now I'm getting that 187KW sitting on 15 PSi on the secondary.

15psi to make 187 is a little unbelieveable...

when i was getting my rex on the dyno the operator showed me all the different settings you can setup... i just asked for the best no BS standard dyno setup.

get it tuned properly, if it wasnt tuned with a wideband i wouldn't trust it at all... WAY to many things to consider and monitor when tuning a car..

MY07 GT spec B

#52 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

Checked my car over the NY break with my bro. Found one of the plugs into the solenoid box(?) had snapped (which happens to be the vacuum) which may be the result of my inconsistent boost issues i'm having. Also cut abit more of the front bumper (uderside) to let more airflow into the FMIC and it seems to have done the job as i didn't get pinging during the 35+ degrees days. Hopefully it stays that way.....

#53 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

Josh, what'd you get on Pulse's dyno again?

Mine can run a little more timing and boost then a standard B4 as its compression ratio is dropped and doesn't ping.

As I said though, dyno figures mean three fifths of fork all.. my car may make that or it may not... it seemed to get around the 125kw mark when it was running completely standard on a few diff dyno's now that its had a little work + tune it definitely feels much faster... so I'm not overly skeptical that it would be hitting the 160 - 180 mark..... where abouts in that range I don't really know or care as the car is faster by my seat of pants dyno, especially in gear acceleration.

At the end of the day its still just a Subaru B4 :P

#54 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

so i cleaned out the intercooler yesterday while replacing the clutch master cyl. i've driven in >25 degree weather a few times and i'm yet to hear a ping. usually it'd still ping occasionally in those conditions. the real test will be hotter weather, such as the next few days :) looks like a catch can might be a worthwhile investment

#55 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:03 AM

so i cleaned out the intercooler yesterday while replacing the clutch master cyl. i've driven in >25 degree weather a few times and i'm yet to hear a ping. usually it'd still ping occasionally in those conditions. the real test will be hotter weather, such as the next few days :)

looks like a catch can might be a worthwhile investment

You mean, you've had all this time, and you still haven't purchased and installed a catch can?

#56 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

not yet. ive been researching options as everyone seems to have a different idea on how they should be connected on a subaru.

#57 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

how many different ways can it be done!!? Smash the breather lines into it .. done

#58 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

lol! do some research on how the subaru breather system works, in fact, just search for catch can on a few subaru forums and you'll soon see that everyone has a different opinion on which lines should be hooked up. when you say just 'smash the breather lines onto it', which breather lines do you mean? have you seen the subaru diagram explaining which way air flows through the system? i'd be happy to spend nearly $400 on a hyperflow catch can if i was convinced that it's the only way to do it right.

#59 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:31 AM

if the right information could be sourced this could make an interesting tech thread..... find out which breathers are the correct ones to use and put up some pics or diagrams :D

#60 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:48 PM

theres like 3 breathers then the PCV valve ... cant be that difficult to attatch them to catch can then run one back to the intake or leave it atmo

Theres a breather on each cam cover. then a crank case one at the back which connects up with the PCV valve line, in the end they all come back to the intake anyway

Posted Image

I drew this in paintbrush in like 2 seconds .. its not that hard to link it all to a catch can

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users