#21 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

original clutch until 159k kms?

i'm sorry about the scepticism, but i find that somewhat hard to believe...

so did i. i bought it at 158k, and noticed it was quite shuddery, especially when cold. i called eblens where it was bought from, and serviced at since new. i specifically asked if the clutch was ever done, and was told it wasn't in the service history. a week after i bought the car it went, so S&J got the job of doing that as well as the ecutek2 tune.

will grab a couple of cans of upper engine cleaner and run that through this weekend, i guess its an easy place to start.

#22 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:31 AM

so did i. i bought it at 158k, and noticed it was quite shuddery, especially when cold. i called eblens where it was bought from, and serviced at since new. i specifically asked if the clutch was ever done, and was told it wasn't in the service history. a week after i bought the car it went, so S&J got the job of doing that as well as the ecutek2 tune.

will grab a couple of cans of upper engine cleaner and run that through this weekend, i guess its an easy place to start.

I was going to suggest that, but since you took it to S&J, I thought it would be a given.

Subaru Fuel Tank Additive works rather well too. Grab a bottle and dunk it into the tank.

#23 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:24 AM

Seems I've found someone else in the same boat....I've got an aftermarket chip, CAI, FMIC, fuel pump and unfortunately, the thing still has issues with pinging/boost cut in the heat. As with urs, mine occurs as it comes on boost. I've resigned to the fact that i've got to drive like a granny on hot days.

#24 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Seems I've found someone else in the same boat....I've got an aftermarket chip, CAI, FMIC, fuel pump and unfortunately, the thing still has issues with pinging/boost cut in the heat. As with urs, mine occurs as it comes on boost. I've resigned to the fact that i've got to drive like a granny on hot days.

i can't accept that. a couple of days after the tune it was 44 degrees (going by the climate control). i was on the ferry at swan reach so had stopped for maybe 5 minutes tops. pulling off the ferry it was uphill straight away. i babied it as much as i could but it still pinged. like crazy. its the worst it's ever been, but it's also about the worst case scenario (heatsoaked, 44 degrees outside, full car, taking off uphill).

these cars are almost impossible to drive off boost. the primary turbo is designed to come on boost very easily.... by not being able to drive it on boost it pretty much defeats the purpose of having a B4.

#25 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

No argument here mate. Yours seems worst. :( Hope you get it sorted.

#26 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

original clutch until 159k kms?

i'm sorry about the scepticism, but i find that somewhat hard to believe...

my brother only just changed out the standard clutch on his 03 wrx after 210,000kms with 40k of those being @ 190kw atw.

if you know how to drive they will last a long time.

MY07 GT spec B

#27 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

my brother only just changed out the standard clutch on his 03 wrx after 210,000kms with 40k of those being @ 190kw atw.

if you know how to drive they will last a long time.

Can you vouch for that 100% Alex, that the clutch is the original since 0kms?

Speculation.

Young whippersnappers.

#28 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Can you vouch for that 100% Alex, that the clutch is the original since 0kms?

Speculation.

Young whippersnappers.

receipts since new and logbooks aswell as markings on the clutch show yes... so umm yes 0km.

how is it unreasonable to say that the clutch will be worn out? the car was driven over 200km per day prior to him getting it that puts nowhere near as much wear and tear on the clutch.

MY07 GT spec B

#29 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

A clutch could easy last 200k if it's drivn right. The clutch only wears when peddle is not all the way out or pushed to the floor. My B4 stock clutch is near 140k, it did lots of highway k's with the previous owner.
If it's broke use a cable tie.

#30 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

As above. If you do only highway kms then your clutch will last for ages wouldn't it?? This sounds a bit like "how long is a piece of string?".

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#31 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

This sounds a bit like "how long is a piece of string?".

The answer is here

#32 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hahaha LOL. Maybe we need to get back on topic????

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#33 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

That sucks with the pinging mate. I can only suggest you do everything to try and reduce intake temps, if that means drastic (and expensive) things like an upgraded TMIC (or FMIC) and a CAI, then at least try them before you chuck in the towel. I got mine tuned at S & J as well with an Ecutek 2, Mine has an exhaust and a CAIand fuel pump and I get zero pinging. It was pretty hot here in Perth today- 38 I think, and mine was happy as a pig in shit. Obviously I'm not going to abuse it when its about 30 degrees, but I can drive pretty normally in stop start conditions and it still performs quite well.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#34 zanzarah

zanzarah

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

That sucks with the pinging mate. I can only suggest you do everything to try and reduce intake temps, if that means drastic (and expensive) things like an upgraded TMIC (or FMIC) and a CAI, then at least try them before you chuck in the towel.

I got mine tuned at S & J as well with an Ecutek 2, Mine has an exhaust and a CAIand fuel pump and I get zero pinging. It was pretty hot here in Perth today- 38 I think, and mine was happy as a pig in shit. Obviously I'm not going to abuse it when its about 30 degrees, but I can drive pretty normally in stop start conditions and it still performs quite well.

The previous owner of Chadza car had installed a oil catch can.
The oil coates everything including the IC and so reduces its efficiency.
The threshold gap between pinging and non-pinging can at times be very small.
So everything you can do to to increase that gap no matter how small it seems,can make a difference.
A good investment!

Liberty B4 2002 BE5 Rev E 2.5L BITURBO TF035HL-14GXT E85

#35 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:52 AM

I will agree that an oil catch can will definitely be of a great help. have you tried your hand at data logging software yourself?

#36 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

zanzarah- now thats a bit freaky, how did you know my car has a catch can!? I haven't really posted that anywhere I dont think. :unsure:
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#37 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

alex - as per my first post i am doing data logging myself. when i started, the IAM was at 15. this was after a couple of cooler weeks. there was a lot of postive 'knock correction', and negative in quite a few spots too. i've now done a reset, IAM is still at 16. it is already starting to learn negative correction in a few places, even with the hottest weather being 23 since the reset. problem it's just one knock so you usually don't see the knock event in the log, however i can clearly see the negative correction in certain spots. hardest thing has been getting my head around the subaru knock control system... pretty amazing really, they designed their ECUs to try to always run as much timing as possible - even if it's detected enough knock to lower the IAM, it'll start raising the timing on the points it's not knocking at, to try to bring the timing back to the maximum level...

#38 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

update.. just went for a drive. ambient temp about 22 degrees. inelt temps were 24-25. it pinged enough to lower the IAM to 13. i only heard it ping audibly once, that was as it was coming onto the secondary turbo in 2nd gear. strange thing is i can't see any knock correction at this point in the log. it was later on in the drive the IAM went down, and i don't recall hearing it ping there.

#39 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

Hi Guys, Kinda related to the B4 pinging thread. As some of you guys might know my B4 used to ping a little bit. I cleaned out the intercooler and hoses with carby cleaner and it HELPED ALOT did wonders, I also used the subaru upper engine cleaner. That stuff is amazing. Anyhow from there today I took my car to the not so local tuner and had it tuned by them to rid myself of the final bits of the pinging. They said my AFR was ugly. Somewhere near the ~13 - 14. He fixed that and now its 11 all day everyday. I will drive it for a bit and see how it goes so far I have not heard anything at all but it wasn't really a hot day today. On the side note it did gain quite a few KW from what it had previously. The previous power rating on the Dyno was 126KW. That somehow doesn't seem that right to me. Right now its sitting at 187KW ATW. Cheers, Will C MAX FANGING ! :D

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#40 Mosti

Mosti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

WillC, didn't brendan have that tuned by Kosti and running something like 18PSI on primary and 20PSI on secondary?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users