• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

My bro just got back from Japan and look what he bought back for me... Had no idea he was gonna bring this back...

Posted Image

For those that havent figureed out what it is... Its a Prova double adjustable shifter... You can adjust the throw length and shifter height.

He said he seen a shitload of Legacy GTB Wagons over there... Got a few pics of a few B4s that I'll post up laterz

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:32 PM

if it doesn't fit your ride (which is probably won't, if it's for a GTB), I'll find a buyer for you. 98% sure the shifters are different between Turbo and non turbo models in Gen3. Happy to be proven wrong though.

#3 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

Whats the difference between the turbo n na shifters for Gen3? My car already has a shitty ebay special short shifter in it and it fits perfectly fine... If it doesnt fit I'll let you know...

#4 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that the clutch setup is different between the B4 and the RX, but the shifter setup is the same.

#5 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

I'm pretty sure that the clutch setup is different between the B4 and the RX, but the shifter setup is the same.

Thats exactly what I thought...

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

I only say that as my GFB short shifter is listed as late WRX (97+) & B4, but makes no mention of NA Liberty.

#7 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

B4's have a pull type clutch dont they? (like fuggin trucks??? why????). Can't see how the clutch type would effect the shifting mechanisim though.
TSM

#8 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:46 PM

I only say that as my GFB short shifter is listed as late WRX (97+) & B4, but makes no mention of NA Liberty.

Neither did the shifter from ebay... But for $30 it was worth a try... Now ill just have better quality shifter

#9 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

B4's have a pull type clutch dont they? (like fuggin trucks??? why????).
Can't see how the clutch type would effect the shifting mechanisim though.

Yes, they do have a pull type clutch and no, that doesn't have any bearing on the shifting mechanism what so ever. I very much doubt the shifter would be different between NA and turbo of the same generation.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

Yes, they do have a pull type clutch and no, that doesn't have any bearing on the shifting mechanism what so ever. I very much doubt the shifter would be different between NA and turbo of the same generation.

totally different on a gen2.

hth

#11 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

If your shifter fits late GC8s and B4s then it will fit an NA gen2 (an RX at least) Alex. What possible reason would subaru have to use the same shifter for NA/turbo for gen2 era and then change it only for NA for gen3s?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#12 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

If your shifter fits late GC8s and B4s then it will fit an NA gen2 (an RX at least) Alex.
What possible reason would subaru have to use the same shifter for NA/turbo for gen2 era and then change it only for NA for gen3s?

Luke

Why are you arguing with me?

Have you actually tried fitting a short shifter to your car?

Dylan owns an RX. Gen2. He bought a shifter exactly like mine. GFB. As stated above. To suit late WRX & B4.

Fit my car perfectly. JDM GTB. Bolt in.

It did not fit his car. I had to modify it immensly to get it to work in his car. Fab and custom work. Not bolt in.

Totally different shifter mechanisms.

I know. I personally did this myself.

I speak with experience. Again you speak with heresay.

#13 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

You have no clue what experience I have with anything at all. I had a 97+ WRX shifter fitted to my gen2 for several years and it required no modification what so ever. The reason that Dylan's required modification is he is using the entire shifter assembly from a 95/96 WRX, not because the shifter is different on an NA.

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

Lets clear up something here. You fitted an entire shifter mechanism from a 97 WRX? Or a short shift kit FOR a 97 WRX? Big difference between the two.

#15 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

There is. I used a shift kit for a 97+ WRX on a 98 RX mechanism. I also use the RX mechanism on a 97 WRX gearbox, so that works too. Dylan's car uses the entire shifter mechanism for a pre-97 WRX.

#16 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

I stand corrected. I apologise.

#17 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:01 AM

Seems like Alex may have been right.

The ball on the Prova shifter is signigicantly bigger than the ebay short shifter and there is no way in hell the ball on the Prova shifter will fit in the gear socket.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now the question is would another fellow member that owns a B4 willing to show me if their shifter mechanism/shifter ball is different to the RX...

Pics would be great...

#18 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

That's a big ball!

#19 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

Wow, that's freakin huge. Good luck!

#20 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Just force it in! She'll be alright!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users