That's why we call you "BIG" Fish :P

#23 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

All I can guess is that strangely enough there might be a shifter assembly difference between revisions in the gen3. If you like, give me your VIN and I'll look it up and see if part numbers are different between yours and a later revision of gen3. Might be time to upgrade the shifter assembly or palm it off on rexnet :) As Luke previously said, Gen2 series 2 shifter assembly's are the same of WRX's of the same era - it almost looks as though that mount point is the same size that my early WRX one is... Strange.

#24 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

Just force it in! She'll be alright!

I tried! Put all my weight on it, I even tried using a rubber mallet. The hole looks too small for it 2 fit...

after writing that someone is definately gonna be a smartarse

#25 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:52 AM

Alright. Your shift stay rod is part # 35031AC030 which appears to be the same in a 2003 RX from what I can gather and a B4. There are a few shifter assembly differences between yours and a B4 though, according to part numbers. It might be worth asking Subaru about it, whether the bush on the bottom of the shifting lever is different between a B4 and RX / GX. Luke, does the bottom of this look like the one you've put in yours or bigger again?

#26 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

Not sure, I'll measure it when I get home though.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#27 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Could it possible be made for the BL/BP? http://jprova.co.jp/...000000ql70.html

#28 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hm, really depends on what model it is. If it's 70220CB0100 that is for 6 speed. If it's 70000CB0100 then it's for 5 speed BL/BP. 70000CB0110 is for BE / BH according to that site. Hm. Does the packaging it came in identify it any further beyond those series of model numbers?

#29 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

Just noticed the manual has 2 part numbers on it. Is there any chance you actually have the 6-speed model instead of the BE/BH model?

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#30 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:36 PM

Just noticed the manual has 2 part numbers on it. Is there any chance you actually have the 6-speed model instead of the BE/BH model?

Mine is definately the 5-Speed coz my brother had to go back and swap the orginal one (6-speed) that the guy sold him...

#31 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

Hm, really depends on what model it is.

If it's 70220CB0100 that is for 6 speed.

If it's 70000CB0100 then it's for 5 speed BL/BP.

70000CB0110 is for BE / BH according to that site.

Hm.

Does the packaging it came in identify it any further beyond those series of model numbers?

The packaging it come in had a manual in japanese with all the model numbers printed on it... I'll have see when I get home if it has it printed anywhere on it...

#32 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Dyran, there was a revision in the gearbox's around the time the B4's were released into Aus, not sure if that is one of the things that changed but just adding some fuel to the fire :P

#33 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

Ok ive checked the packaging and no luck... Doesnt say anything... Dylan if I ring up Subaru, wat the hell would I be asking them? Whats the actual part the shifter ball sits in?

#34 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

'Shift stay rod' is what it is I believe. Just confirm with them that it is indeed the bit that the shifter bush / ball joint pushes in to. If the guy on the phone doesn't ask he should be able to ask one of the mechanics (depending on who you talk with). If all else fails I can give my guy a call and have a chat to him about it - let me know.

#35 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

I had a quick look through the service manual and found this...

Posted Image

What I want to know is, Which bushing out of what car do u think I would need? Maybe a trip to pick n payless and play guessing games 2 see if the ball fits in a different car?

How hard would it be to change the actual bushing?

Would I have to take out the whole assembly to get to it like the service manual says?

#36 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:37 AM

Not a bad plan, but I doubt you'll find enough modern Subaru's at a pick n payless. Maybe you could drop in to a Subaru service department with the new and old shifters and see what they reckon it's from?

#37 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

Not a bad plan, but I doubt you'll find enough modern Subaru's at a pick n payless.

I think the most modern would be Gen 1 libs... I was thinking along the lines of a different car altogther but then I may have a problem with the actual bushing fit...

Maybe you could drop in to a Subaru service department with the new and old shifters and see what they reckon it's from?

Thats probably a good idea and see what they come up with... Will have 2 wait til Saturday morning I guess... I'll be out getting supplies for my due service...

On another topic, my 4th gear is starting to crunch very lightly after the car has warmed up and been driving for at least 25mins. It started on the cruise when we got to Camden. Could it be my gearbox oil? I havent changed it since I bought the car which was at least 30k ago... Any recommendations?

#38 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:43 PM

Oil change should fix it.... M&D's foz started to crunch 4th couple of months ago, changed the g/box oil to synthetic and it stopped.

#39 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

Oil change should fix it.... M&D's foz started to crunch 4th couple of months ago, changed the g/box oil to synthetic and it stopped.

What brand do you recommend? I had a quick search on liberty.asn and Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 was suggested
http://forum.liberty...box oil#p112546

#40 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:19 PM

What brand do you recommend? I had a quick search on liberty.asn and Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 was suggested

Castrol is OEM for the WRX apparently, so it should do the trick. I use it in mine and it seems good.
A tube of Nulon G70 will help smooth the shifts up a bit too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users