←  Builds and Projects

Suby Club

»

Shiv's Outback H6 Luxury 3.0L

Shiv's Photo Shiv 09 Oct 2012

I had a quick search but no decent directions how to get there on google maps...

Here ya go! :)

From there, you literally just follow Glowworm Tunnel Rd until it ends. Its a smooth gravel road passing through cleared and developed areas of the forest. About half way up the road, you'll pass Old Bells Line of Rd on your right closely followed by a prominent camping area also on your right. From there, the road becomes a bit pot holed and there are a few lumps and bumps in the road which you'll need to slow down for and take at an angle in your car.

The tunnel pictured is about 1km from the end of the road. At the end of the road, there is a car park and its a further 1km walk (one way) to the actual glowworm tunnel which you can view using a halogen torch only.

Richo's Photo Richo 27 Nov 2012

Hey man,

I've not read all of this, so sorry if its already covered...

How would you describe the poke of this motor (did you get it originally without mods ?) ? cruiser/down low or do they like to rev out hard ?

Shiv's Photo Shiv 27 Nov 2012

Hey man,

I've not read all of this, so sorry if its already covered...

How would you describe the poke of this motor (did you get it originally without mods ?) ? cruiser/down low or do they like to rev out hard ?

Hey Richo,

Yes I bought the car stock. All I've done is add weight since....

Its got a reasonable amount of power to it, but bear in mind that the H6 has the characteristics of a peaky motor. Its sweet spot is from 3.8K RPM onwards right through to the end of the rev range.

The car is desperate for another gear ratio. Just as it starts to get going, the 4-speed is ready to change up a gear and start you over again in revs department. So you do find yourself manually selecting gear for overtakes etc and keeping it in the mid range.

Down low, its a dream to drive in city traffic. Plenty of low down torque. Very responsive.

As a side note, its been very reliable. No dramas whatsoever, and this is despite me being forced to give it hell on occasion whilst taking it off road.

Richo's Photo Richo 27 Nov 2012

Awesome, cheers mate.

Shiv's Photo Shiv 12 Dec 2012

Few small enhancements for project Outback....

Old grill was looking a bit tired, so I got this Legacy GT30 grill to freshen things up a bit:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Double centre console:

Posted Image
Posted Image

The rear scuff plate was worn out. Got a chrome one...much cleaner looking, hopefully I can keep it that way:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Door plates:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And finally, some weekend shenanigans :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Other random pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Adam's Photo Adam 12 Dec 2012

Some awesome pics there, Shiv!

So many wants!

Thanks Adam!

Time to buy an Outback :P

Scuba-Roo's Photo Scuba-Roo 12 Dec 2012

Love it shiv!

Adam's Photo Adam 12 Dec 2012

I can't bring myself to sell my liberty :)

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 12 Dec 2012

Car is looks great mate! Looks like your enjoying it

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 12 Dec 2012

I love how you modify it and strive to make it present well (which it most certainly does) then go play in the mud!.....

...... and I'm really lovin' that grill.

BTW, where did you get the storage bag thingy?

I love how you modify it and strive to make it present well (which it most certainly does) then go play in the mud!.....

...... and I'm really lovin' that grill.

BTW, where did you get the storage bag thingy?

Thanks Jase,

I got the storage bag thingo from here:
http://www.groovygad...-Organiser.aspx

I admit, I've got a mild case of OCD when it comes to the car. I always keep it clean and well presented (apart from the weekend) and I don't like things rolling around in the boot.

Pretty happy with the grill. Ordinarily I'm not a fan of Subaru's chrome grills - find them too shiny. But this one is subtle and suits the Outback well. If I had a Lib, I'd probs go for a mesh grill...

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 16 Dec 2012

Me rikey those scuff plates and the double centre console. Pictures are wicked too! Looks like mad fun. Do you ever get 4WD's crapping on about the OBK not been a true 4WD?

Shiv's Photo Shiv 16 Dec 2012

Do you ever get 4WD's crapping on about the OBK not been a true 4WD?

Nah not really, and if I did, I wouldn't argue with them because its true :sarcastic:

I can't help but laugh at myself at times for taking it as far off road as I do! Its great fun...

U-Shell's Photo U-Shell 17 Dec 2012

Nothing like a good challenge! It's sweet you've done the opposite of pretty much everyone else too. A photo with cams outback would make for some laughs haha

Shiv's Photo Shiv 08 Sep 2013

Over 6-months since my last update of this thread....and I'm feeling a bit embarrassed because I don't have much to show for it!

The rear bar has been flapping about since 2011. Finally it got bad enough for me to consider replacing it:

h6dl.jpg

Also the front bar succumbed to damage after taking a knock.

itgx.jpg

jgwt.jpg

z0en.jpg

zjlx.jpg

Anyway, fresh front and rear bar replacements. New FR splashguard. Bit of TLC and it looks good as new!

tl43.jpg

udar.jpg

Tinted tail lights idea nicked from Mark's build thread.

Next on the cards is another small lift (1"inch).

Liberty's Photo Liberty 08 Sep 2013

Looking good Shiv. I was gonna say your number plate was falling off as well, but it looks to be all sorted now, ha ha. Definitely going the opposite of what everyone else tends to do. :P

At least you're using it for its intended purpose.

Adam's Photo Adam 08 Sep 2013

SHIV!

Nice :)

Barbbachello's Photo Barbbachello 08 Sep 2013

Perhaps doing something about your control arms to go with that lift haha

Shiv's Photo Shiv 08 Sep 2013

Thanks Gary, thanks Adam.

Not sure if this was its intended purpose, but it is now! :D

Forgot to post - if anyone hasn't seen my video from a couple months back....its basically the best bits of the footage I've captured :)