#21 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

...ouch!

Yea Ourimbah is my local.
Not always suitable though. If they have recently grated the main track then its better. Worth a shot though!
Its where I used to go in the 4Runner and 80 Series. 4Runner got stuck a few times! We wouldnt go on those tracks though :P

What car is that? 98-01 headlights, Outback grille, bumper, foggies but colour coded trim?

Early revision H6 with the metallic paint option. I prefer ours if I may say so - two tone FTW :yahoo:

Worth a shot indeed! Whats the worst that could happen - get stuck in the woods and spot Walts hiding in the bushes? Oh no... :unsure:

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#22 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Haha well if he's there, he may as well pull us out
*photoshops Waltzy's face onto Cuck Norris

There are a few blank w/e's in my calendar but someone else may have booked me up without me knowing!
Ill let you know!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#23 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Looks like Im free on the 23rd but thats the day before the Jenolan Caves cruise...

IM47Gcv.jpg

#24 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Shiv!

I was wondering about retro fit projector kits, i want some for my moke/mini and you have confirmed its possible! Interested to see how you go! :)

Plenty of fire trails and tracks down this way, taken my car on a few of em :)

Posted Image

#25 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

I would recommend these guys for your HIDs http://mobiistore.com.au/

Morgs and I have them and they are great quality for the price. I orginally bought mine off their ebay store which i cant seem to find atm

Im running 4300k with both headlight and fogs and the light distrubition is epic and not blinding

#26 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

Haha you reckon yours will make it?

Nup, that's why I'd said I'd wait on the road.
I actually lowered the fron another inch and the rear half an inch last weekend, wheel alignment got done y'day.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#27 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hey Shiv, Do the dash lights ( the white and red ones ) on your outback, come stock on the H6 Outback? Or are they aftermarket? If so, where from..
Cheers
[03.SUBY]

#28 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:06 AM

Hey Shiv, Do the dash lights ( the white and red ones ) on your outback, come stock on the H6 Outback? Or are they aftermarket? If so, where from..
Cheers

Mate that comes standard in the H6 models. Same as the B4s and it isnt just a straight swap of clusters, dash loom is different and unless u can source one of those when you get the cluster its a PITA to re pin

#29 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:35 PM

Time for a bit of a monthly update; car is going very well and its had a few little additions to it.

1. I got a little LED strip off Leo (Liberty.asn Vendor) to put under the door:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Lights it up like a brothel :P

2. I replaced a cracked fog light with a fresh replacement...

Posted Image
Posted Image

3. Then I chucked in some of those PIAA Plasma bulbs. Colour = 2500K (yellow)

Posted Image

Projector lens retrofit!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This was the retrofit of a generic projector lens into my existing stock headlights. I did not do the install as quite frankly, I wouldn't trust myself slicing open the headlights and gluing it all in there.

It was quite an intricate little exercise this. Was a tight fit also, but overall I've gotta say I'm pretty happy with it all!! About the only negative about it is that the headlight case can never be opened up again in the future (so no more clips). But that shouldn't be a problem, and of course the bulbs can still be changed. The headlights are aimed high at the moment so when it cools down (hot day in Sydney!) I'll adjust them suitable. But light distribution is pretty good. Not as good as a stock projector headlight (Gen2..), but still good nevertheless.

I'm also running HIDs in there as they run cooler hence is better for the case. High-beams still work - the originals down below.

#30 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:37 PM

Interesting projector install.

who did it for you?

#31 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

Very nice mate.
Ill have to get all the details off you at some stage for the projector retro fit.
How much did it cost all up? Definitely something I'm interested in doing in the future

IM47Gcv.jpg

#32 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 02:54 PM

Interesting projector install.

who did it for you?

A former work colleague of mine. Doesn't do that stuff anymore but he use to have an awesome little car accessories shop in Hurstville back in the day. If your interested in something, let me know and I'll see if he wants to do it as he's busy with his new job and preparing to move back to Hong Kong.

Very nice mate.
Ill have to get all the details off you at some stage for the projector retro fit.
How much did it cost all up? Definitely something I'm interested in doing in the future

The projectors came in a kit you can get on eBay. I recall them costing about $105 thanks to our strong Aussie dollar. Install was a solid 6-7 hours of labour. I paid $250 for that, so its not cheap but its a skilled and timely job, and something I wanted done. Once you go projectors + HIDs...you cannot go back!

#33 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

I'm on the look out for a H6 outback , any tips on what to look out for b4 buying one.
cheers Cris
Nothing left to break .

#34 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:03 PM

those retro fit projectors look awesome, wanna swap? :sarcastic:

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#35 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

I'm on the look out for a H6 outback , any tips on what to look out for b4 buying one.
cheers Cris

Yeah sure,

I could nitpick and link you to rare cases of horror stories but the reality is they're pretty solid cars overall.

I found two H6's which had worn clock springs when I was test driving back in July. This resulted in an odd 'clicking' sound coming from the steering wheel when giving it some lock. Its not a biggie but something for you to look out for. Some B4's are like that as well. Also do the usual CV joint test and listen for clicking sounds coming from the actual wheels themselves.

Morgan mentioned viscous coupling in the other thread. This is another issue to look at. Give it full lock and if you hear a horrible groaning noise, thats something that can be pricey to fix. Its to do with Subaru's AWD differential and basically a common fault as I found them on at least one other car I test drove as well. So either bargain or walk away....

Head gaskets issues came back with the Gen3 H6. Although not to the same extent as the Gen2's EJ25's. Obviously any car is prone to blowing head gaskets, so try pick yourself a car with a full Subaru service history like I did and that goes some way to giving you some assurance. Check for leaks etc and you should be okay.

If you can, get the luxo spec H6 in the Gen3. They ad a heap of nice features like the leather, sunroofs etc. They're popular family cars so try and find one without a worn interior. I replaced my two front seats and they're hard to find.

#36 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:21 PM

those retro fit projectors look awesome, wanna swap? :sarcastic:

Yeah sure :lol:

In all seriousness though - I've seen them advertised on Import Monster for $1000AUD BEFORE shipping! I think they're brand new units....but still! :o

#37 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

How did he seal the housing with with projector? Just silicone?

#38 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:41 AM

Silicone is the work of Satan.

Automotive Polyurethane sealant would be the gold standard sealant to use.

#39 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:46 AM

Projectors look good Shiv, i see a lucrative business deal coming up here... lol alot of B4's want to sport Projectors!

but still i dont think it compares to Gen2 projectors :P

the LED strips on the door.. are they just the stick on type? i got some from ebay a while back but i cant decide where i want them anymore.. footwell or door (as you know AUDM gen2 lucked out on curtousy lighting on the doors)

oh and finally, what brand HID's do you go with? i need to get that done on mine.. it will be a bit of a job i know but i'm looking to get fiddly with the electrics again in the car... the mechanical stuff is good for now.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#40 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:10 AM

I'm not too sure Chris, I'll check for you when I get a chance. I have some of it leftover but its a completely unmarked tube because its a cheapo off eBay.

Ty -- Thanks yeah it looks good but theres only so much I can polish a turd. Gen2 FTW!

Yes the LED strip comes with some 3M tape on the underside and just pastes right on. Could look good in the footwell (if a little bright?).

HIDs are Mars Performance brand. They go by the name Mars Warehouse on eBay. They cost a bit more than other brands but I went with them because in all the ballasts I've purchased over the years, not one of them has gone wrong so I figured its worth the money. If you want a cheaper alternative - look at the link Chris posted just at the top of this very page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users