RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

Progress!

I would think that using a Haltech would open a fairly large can of worms.

If it were me, I'd be sending a box of wires to AM.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#62 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, we've decided the run the STi ecu piggyback for now just to get it all up and running correctly. So basically use the wrx ecu to control all things engine, and the lib ecu for everything else. I really need those 2000 model lib wiring diagrams / ecu pinouts though.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#63 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, we've decided the run the STi ecu piggyback for now just to get it all up and running correctly. So basically use the wrx ecu to control all things engine, and the lib ecu for everything else. I really need those 2000 model lib wiring diagrams / ecu pinouts though.

Cheers,
Shazza

Shazza Ive got the whole manual for Gen3 lib on pdf format. Its 118MB but I managed to compressed(zip) it down to 68MB but have no idea how ill get it to you. I'll see if I can just extract the wiring diagrams and post em up or email to you

#64 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:17 AM

Shazza Ive got the whole manual for Gen3 lib on pdf format. Its 118MB but I managed to compressed(zip) it down to 68MB but have no idea how ill get it to you. I'll see if I can just extract the wiring diagrams and post em up or email to you

Mate, even if you can just do a print screen on the ECU pinout bit, that would be awesome. I don't really need the rest just yet, just the pinouts.

If you can do that, email it to enquiries@showusyourtints.com.au

Thanks maaate.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#65 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:31 AM

Just sent you the wiring diagrams

#66 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

Just sent you the wiring diagrams

Legen- wait for it...... DARY!

Cheers,
Shazza

#67 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:02 PM

So we've decided to go down a different route with the conversion now. What we're going to do, is fit all the manual STi gear (Gearbox, Pedals, Rear Diff, Tailshaft and Driveshafts)to the car, prior to fitting the engine, so the manual conversion is done first. From what my mate has told me, all the gearbox and everything will still bolt straight up to the EJ25 thats in there now.

The reasoning behind this, is that i can take my time fitting new parts to the engine whilst its on the stand, and make sure the box and everything is in good order. I'm going to be giving it a complete freshen up, new hoses, belts, gaskets, powdercoat the manifold red, fit a new exhaust manifold with dump pipe, and a few other bits and pieces.

Then, once thw wiring issue is sorted, its a simple engine swap, plug in, drink beer, boost.

More updates to come.

Cheers,
Shazza

#68 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

Cheers,
Shazza

There is nothing for the EJ25 ecu to control once the engine is replaced. It just controls the engine so is completely irrelevant when the turbo engine is fitted.

#69 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Little bit more progress. Pulled the STi box apart from the engine, to suss out what the clutch was like to see if i needed a new one straight away. The one we pulled out doesn't look like it has been in there for THAT long, and seems to have plenty of meat still left on it, so might just use that for now. Also looks like it isn't a factory Clutch, perhaps a twin plate of some sort?

Attached File  IMG_0272.JPG   84.14KB   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0273.JPG   73.92KB   5 downloads

Now the engine and box are apart, we were going to bolt all the manual shit up today, but realized that I'm going to need a manual liberty gearbox cross member. Anyone have one? The STi one didn't fit, and the auto one doesn't fit either.

Attached File  IMG_0271.JPG   75.46KB   6 downloads

Engine looks good upon preliminary inspection. Turbo has 0% shaft play, so that is a relief.

Attached File  IMG_0270.JPG   89.99KB   9 downloads

As i was going to bolt the clutch pedal in, as the other 2 went straight in, i noticed there was an ECU in the way. Now, I'm 99% sure its an Auto Gearbox ecu, but wanted to see if any of you guys knew before i started ripping shit apart. There is a full ECU under the passenger side foot well metal bracket, and then this bad boy up under the pedals where the clutch pedal bolts to the master cylinder.

Attached File  IMG_0274.JPG   70.51KB   7 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0275.JPG   59.23KB   9 downloads

And last but not least, my mates Legacy. Saw him driving the other day and thought i'd snap a pic. Trying to get him to join up. Has a V2? STi engine and box in it. I told him to ditch the chromies, and get something better, but yeah, each to their own.

Attached File  IMG_0267.JPG   75.75KB   11 downloads

If anyone knows 100% that thats an Auto ECU, let me know so i can throw it onto the road and bolt my clutch pedal in. Also, if anyone has a 98-01 Liberty Manual gearbox X-Member, also let me know. I pay cash.

Cheers,
Shazza

#70 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Little bit more progress. Pulled the STi box apart from the engine, to suss out what the clutch was like to see if i needed a new one straight away. The one we pulled out doesn't look like it has been in there for THAT long, and seems to have plenty of meat still left on it, so might just use that for now. Also looks like it isn't a factory Clutch, perhaps a twin plate of some sort?

Attached File  IMG_0272.JPG   84.14KB   6 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0273.JPG   73.92KB   5 downloads

Now the engine and box are apart, we were going to bolt all the manual shit up today, but realized that I'm going to need a manual liberty gearbox cross member. Anyone have one? The STi one didn't fit, and the auto one doesn't fit either.

Attached File  IMG_0271.JPG   75.46KB   6 downloads

Engine looks good upon preliminary inspection. Turbo has 0% shaft play, so that is a relief.

Attached File  IMG_0270.JPG   89.99KB   9 downloads

As i was going to bolt the clutch pedal in, as the other 2 went straight in, i noticed there was an ECU in the way. Now, I'm 99% sure its an Auto Gearbox ecu, but wanted to see if any of you guys knew before i started ripping shit apart. There is a full ECU under the passenger side foot well metal bracket, and then this bad boy up under the pedals where the clutch pedal bolts to the master cylinder.

Attached File  IMG_0274.JPG   70.51KB   7 downloads
Attached File  IMG_0275.JPG   59.23KB   9 downloads

And last but not least, my mates Legacy. Saw him driving the other day and thought i'd snap a pic. Trying to get him to join up. Has a V2? STi engine and box in it. I told him to ditch the chromies, and get something better, but yeah, each to their own.

Attached File  IMG_0267.JPG   75.75KB   11 downloads

If anyone knows 100% that thats an Auto ECU, let me know so i can throw it onto the road and bolt my clutch pedal in. Also, if anyone has a 98-01 Liberty Manual gearbox X-Member, also let me know. I pay cash.

Cheers,
Shazza

where the clutch pedal is meant to be on an auto liberty the auto ECU is there so pull it out if your going manual conversion anyway...i discovered mine when i ripped the trim and dash out from my auto B4
Posted Image

#71 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

where the clutch pedal is meant to be on an auto liberty the auto ECU is there so pull it out if your going manual conversion anyway...i discovered mine when i ripped the trim and dash out from my auto B4

Yeah, i figured it was an auto ecu. Thats good, I can bin it then, along with the rather stupidly large Nokia handsfree speaker cabletied to my steering column.

Cheers,
Shazza

#72 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

Clutch is a factory item and appears to have plenty left in it. I'd stick it in and see how it goes.

You need to bypass the inhibitor switch, wire in a 3 wire speed sensor, wire the reverse lights and change some wiring at the cruise module just to change to manual.You'd get all this for free if you got AM Auto to do the rewire :) .

The STi gearbox X member is the correct one for the Liberty.

#73 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Clutch is a factory item and appears to have plenty left in it. I'd stick it in and see how it goes.

You need to bypass the inhibitor switch, wire in a 3 wire speed sensor, wire the reverse lights and change some wiring at the cruise module just to change to manual.You'd get all this for free if you got AM Auto to do the rewire :) .

The STi gearbox X member is the correct one for the Liberty.

We tried to bolt up the Xmember, and it was completely different. All the bolt holes were in different spots? Maybe my mate is on crack.
I'm trying to source another 00 Lib loom so i can send it upto you guys, not having much luck yet. So many places closed over xmas, its ridiculously hard to find parts.

Cheers,
Shazza

#74 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Your mate is on crack, the Xmember fits, they are all the same.

#75 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Your mate is on crack, the Xmember fits, they are all the same.

We put it in the air, and the 4 x 14mm bolts bolt up from the WRX x-member, but apparently there is 2 17mm bolts that are on the lib, which the wrx xmember doesnt have? In any case, i've sourced a replacement outback one because he reckons it doesn't fit.

Just while i've got you, will a manual 10/99 Outback loom be the same as the 11/99 Liberty one? As in, if i send you the manual outback loom, can you make it fit my car + STi engine?

Cheers,
Shazza

#76 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Yes an outback loom will be the same as long as they both have climate control. Assuming yours is an RX it will.

An outback X member is the exception to the all the same rule. It has 30mm spacers built into the front bar and a lower profile rear section to account for the body lift.

If your STi X member doesn't look like this it is missing a piece. If it does look like this then it will fit.

Posted Image

#77 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

Yes an outback loom will be the same as long as they both have climate control. Assuming yours is an RX it will.

An outback X member is the exception to the all the same rule. It has 30mm spacers built into the front bar and a lower profile rear section to account for the body lift.

If your STi X member doesn't look like this it is missing a piece. If it does look like this then it will fit.

Posted Image

Hey mate,

The STI X-Member looks completely different to that one. Its alot smaller, and doesn't have the whole "wavy" section, just the front bit. Maybe its a dodgy homemade job? Upon further inspection, it doesn't look like its a factory fitted item from Subaru. Looks like uncle pete has got his welder out, and a bit of metal and gone nuts.

The outback X-Member we got apparently has had the spacers taken off and have been told it will fit. If it doesn't, i can send it back, but yeah, fingers crossed.

My car is the Heritage model. According to the place i might be getting it off, its a direct replacement, but going off how wrong i've been so far, i'm not so sure. Hahaha.

Cheers,
Shazza

#78 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

Okay, so the reason the bolt holes don't line up, is because the exhaust is in the way!!! As soon as the turbo engine goes in, the WRX dump pipe will clear the wrx geaerbox xmember, but the gearbox xmember wont fit while the engine is non turbo. So there goes the plan of manualing my car prior to conversion.

Does anyone know where i can source a loom from? I've tried a few places who either A) Want to charge and exhorborant price, or B) Don't have the specific one i'm after. I've found a 94 EJ22 loom, and a 2003 Loom, but no 98-01 looms.

Cheers,
Shazza

#79 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

They are the same through the range dude. Pics of X member please.

#80 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

I'll grab some pics next time i'm up at the shop mate. I think it will actually fit, but because my car has some kind of homemade shithouse exhaust on it, where the exhaust comes down, it fouls on the WRX Xmember, but doesn't on my current one.

I'm gunna give you a call sometime today to discuss wiring. You don't by any chance have any spare looms laying around do you? :ph34r:
It's proving rather difficult to find an unbutchered one, and i really don't want my car off the road for so long while i rip everything apart.

Cheers,
Shazza

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users