Cheap compared to NSW....

OEM+

#182 Clown

Clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:13 PM

I thought they were actually more than 495! Still, a rip off for bits of metal. not that the rest of Vic rego isn't a joke!

#183 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

NSW has the extra fun of $100/year for std formats and $440/yeat for custom plates..  for ever more.  Does Vic do that?

Gouging bastards

#184 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

NSW has the extra fun of $100/year for std formats and $440/yeat for custom plates..  for ever more.  Does Vic do that?

Gouging bastards

Nope. VIC is a once off fee to buy, nothing annually.

OEM+

#185 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

Still think they are rip off merchants compared to SA. We pay 190 once off for most combinations, some have yearly fees, but a basic 1-5 to 5-1 letter - number combo is just a once off.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#186 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

Just caught up on this thread...

So you are now a Mexican Ben???

Welcome!

Weren't you renovating your place in Roxby? What's the go there?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#187 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Yep, a resident Mexican now.
Cheers!

Renovating was almost done and we move out unfortunately. Place is now rented for a lot less than the mortgage, but at least we have tenants in it.
If you can afford the losses, now is the time to buy in. Once it recovers you'll be on easy street, but you need to be able to cover it now while the going isn't so good.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#188 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

So I read somewhere that a caged car can be registered in Vic as long as strict rules are followed, specifically regarding side bars of the cage alongside the seats. Theres a specific bulletin from vicroads about it. Going to have a good read and see if a cage can be cams approved as well as vicroads approved. If so, the blue beast might just have to retain rego... When I finally get there.

Starting a bit of a list of things that need to be done to make this thing track ready:
Move remote oil filter and return overflow bottle to standard

Fit S401 front sway bar (19mm)
Wheel bearings x3
Brake pads
Cage
Fire extinguisher + bracket
Tow point front and rear
Seats and rails x2
Harnesses x2
Helmet
Racing Suit
Balaklava
Race shoes
Remove rear seat and rear seat belts
Sheet metal over hole into boot cavity
Sheet metal over fuel lines normally hidden under rear seat
Repair front bar and repaint front end

21mm rear sway bar

Sway bar end links + mounts (F&R)

I'll add to this list as I think of things and update this post.

#189 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

Now have Victorian rego and licence. B4 now has 6 months rego and Ranger has 12. Cheaper rego here too. Ranger is about 570 rather than SA which is about 840. B4 was more expensive, but that's only because I had remote areas rego.

Restyled the generic plate they gave me for the B4 to a JDM spec plate. I can understand 195 bucks, but not the 495 for my old combination.

#190 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

Is SA $195 for custom?

We used to have different combos for different prices, but a few years ago most plates became $495.  cubts

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#191 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

Might be now, haven't priced a set in a few years. When I got mine they were 180, once off, and then a couple years later they jumped to 190, they may have had a price rise again, not sure. But it depends heavily on the combination you get as to whether it's yearly or once off. Mine were a once off fee. Typical money making governments.

#192 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Pulled out the tools today. About to start on replacing the front sway bar with my S401 item I've had in a toolbox for about the past 5 years. Putting the bottom engine plate on as well, and if I get time I'll move the remote filter and reinstall the oem overflow bottle.

#193 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Well, seem to have lost the overflow bottle through the move, but Nick is going to have a look around his place and see if he still has the one out of the wagon his tarbo motor was donated from. Hopefully I can replace the pump bottle soon. Other than that everything went pretty well. Just need to put the front wheels back on and take her for a spin and see what the handling is like. Might have even gotten rid of my squeal under heavy acceleration. See how we go.

#194 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 08:28 AM

So it hasn't gotten rid of my squeal under acceleration. But what it has done is increase my corner speed. I didn't think it would make so much of a difference. But there's a set of 90 degree corners that are on my road that I wasn't confident with at more than about 30kph. It now feels good at 35 and a smidge quicker. Much more planted. A more compliant front end gives a lot more confidence. I see now why people say sway bars are one of the best bang for buck upgrades. Can't wait to up the rear a little and see how much of a difference that makes.

#195 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

0e39eb8aa0bcb37b9b07357163c75f5e.jpg
So these rocked up yesterday, put them on today. Drilled new holes in the front plate about 10mm lower than the factory holes. Would have been nice for vicroads to get the hole placement right, but I'm not worried. Got an even 10mm or so around the plate cut-out in the bumper. Nice not to have to bend the plate to make it fit.

#196 Clown

Clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

I had to replace the plates on my old liberty once. Had to drill holes in those too. Standard issue and not even slim line!

0e39eb8aa0bcb37b9b07357163c75f5e.jpg
So these rocked up yesterday, put them on today. Drilled new holes in the front plate about 10mm lower than the factory holes. Would have been nice for vicroads to get the hole placement right, but I'm not worried. Got an even 10mm or so around the plate cut-out in the bumper. Nice not to have to bend the plate to make it fit.

#197 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Ok, Things have changed massively for me. Time has come to sell this beastie, and buy a car a little more orientated to the track (once finances permit).

Thinking of asking about 11k over carsales. The jap plates will be signed over as part of that if the buyer is in Victoria. Likewise, I'll sign over the rights to THNKB4 if it goes to SA.

First of all, this car isnt without its imperfections - the paint on the roof is faded and needs a respray, and the wing needs replacing also. But - there are more than enough goodies on this to make those issues irrelevant.

A basic list of mods:

04 STi Spec C engine package with ecutek tuning making 195kW at all 4 wheels.

Oil cooler + remote filter

3" TBE with JUN rear muffler

JDM HID headlights with levelling working correctly

Brembo brakes fitted all round

JDM 17x7.5 +53 STi Gold wheels, complete with full size spare. Running Direzza DZ102 tyres that are near new - might have 5k on them.

STi Mcgard spline locknuts

STi pink springs mounted on Bilstein shocks

Rear Cusco strut brace

Front strut brace from S401

Front sway bar replaced with S401 item (19mm rather than 21mm stock, much better turn in and less understeer)

Fibreglass replica S401 front bar and scoop (K2 Gear)

Genuine towbar (only ever towed 6x4, nothing larger)

Interior has a JDM brushed black dash surround

4x 52mm Autometer Cobalt series gauges (Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Boost and A/F Ratio)

Red Hazard switch

Brant alarm removed and replaced with an Autowatch item and hard wired in when Al did the loom.

OEM Mcintosh double din head unit + 6 Stacker under passenger seat

There may be other items that I've missed, but thats what I can think of off the top of my head.

I'll make a For Sale Post later tonight.

There has been a hell of a lot of money poured into this, so grab a bargain. The engine package cost me 10k alone, and brembos were 2k just in parts cost.

Cheers,

Ben

#198 Clown

Clown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

Did this end up selling mate?

#199 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Nah, she's still up for sale if you want to buy her man.

#200 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

Watched her drive away this evening to someone based in NSW. Hopefully she continues her life for a long while, and the new owner posts up what happens to her, I want to see what someone else does with my baby.

So here ends a great 8 years of fun. My time here will be continued at some stage with a new thread and a new car. Racecar spec here we come! Might be a little way down the track, but it will happen. Probably wont have the same insane amount of money thrown at her, but hey.

Until then, enjoy peoples.

Cheers,

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users