• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#41 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

Thought about putting in a quicker steering rack, i.e STi item?

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#42 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thought about putting in a quicker steering rack, i.e STi item?

Certainly have... There is definate viabilty going to an gc8 sti rack.
Currently the steering in its standard form with all the other upgrades is tight and precise so I wont be changing for the time being.

#43 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

Will reply to your PM ASAP mate. Just making double sure.

Cheers,
Nik

#44 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

haha is the the entire whiteline catalogue on there???? Looks great make!

i've been thinking about getting one of these beat rush rear lower floor bars for mine. Did you notice any difference or did you change so much at the same time you couldn't tell what was doing what?

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#45 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

haha is the the entire whiteline catalogue on there???? Looks great make!

i've been thinking about getting one of these beat rush rear lower floor bars for mine. Did you notice any difference or did you change so much at the same time you couldn't tell what was doing what?

Most of the catalogue :P
More Whiteline parts were considered but not installed due to the nvh they would've added. Its a daily after all ;)

The lower floor bar was done shortly after the extra whiteline gear and cusco bracing went in so I couldn't really tell.

#46 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

yeah alex retained the R160 rear diff & got the centre swapped to match the new ratio of the 6mt... 3.9 i believe, auto sf5 tailshaft is required to do this

R180 swap is planned, but he is still running a R160 rear end at the moment.

He swapped the gearbox, gearbox mount, shifter assembly, front shafts, tail shaft (SG Auto) and the rear diff gears (to 3.9 ratio in standard diff housing )and he retained his standard rear shafts, clutch, flywheel and starter motor.

Don't think I've forgotten anything.

Cheers,
Nik

#47 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Cheers,
Nik

Yeap, that all makes sense.

A mate of mine is doing something similar to what is posted above on a XT but with a sti tailshaft and a sti yoke on a matching r160 diff.

I'll be doing a complete 6MT/R180 upgrade, flywheel to rear hubs inclusive.
Have the auto tailshaft just in case. I have heard that the sti tailshaft can foul under load on the GT drive tunnel. Will try the sti first though.

#48 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

Small update.

Car is finally back on the road since the weekend with a new (secondhand) low km diff from a SF5 S/tb STI II Forester.

The rear whiteline subframe bolts have been removed along with the secondary front cusco v1 lower arm bar, h-brace remains though.
Also changed were the front steering and rear sway bushes to yellow whiteline items as my ocd couldn't handle the mix of red and yellow :)

The car is fantastic to drive. Steering, especially cornering, is crisp and responsive... but best of all the car is silent, no nvh at all :D

#49 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Why'd you take the parts off?

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#50 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi,

Strict advice from his Chiropractor?!

Cheers,
Nik

#51 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi,

Strict advice from his Chiropractor?!

Cheers,
Nik

:lol:

Front lower brace (the single straight bar in front, not h-brace) was removed for two reasons:
- Blocked access to the main jack point under the car
- It was slightly bowed due to the changes with the alk bushes. Really didnt like the look of that.
Either way with the cusco h-brace still installed removing the bar hasn't made any discernible change.

The subframe bolts were removed to reduce nvh. Can reinstall easily for a track or cruise.

#52 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

I was wondering where it had disappeared too.. good to see it back!
We picked up the RS today so Seats should go in tomorrow night, then i can bring the rails over and you can see if they suit..

Also.. i swear to god we live in the worst suburb for roads.. .FARKING POT HOLES! that one on Grange is coming back.. i saw you swerve this morning and i almost forgot about it too.
and driving the stock billy i realized how rough my car really is..

With all the kit you have fitted to yours so far i can imagine you don't drive down south on R prd often haha.. that road bloody kills me, especially just before the underpass!
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#53 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

I was wondering where it had disappeared too.. good to see it back!
We picked up the RS today so Seats should go in tomorrow night, then i can bring the rails over and you can see if they suit..

Also.. i swear to god we live in the worst suburb for roads.. .FARKING POT HOLES! that one on Grange is coming back.. i saw you swerve this morning and i almost forgot about it too.
and driving the stock billy i realized how rough my car really is..

With all the kit you have fitted to yours so far i can imagine you don't drive down south on R prd often haha.. that road bloody kills me, especially just before the underpass!

Cheers mate, give me a call. I'm mostly free this weekend. May even get a chance to do some more mods if I'm lucky (and if the wife is in a good mood :sarcastic: )
Pot holes arent so bad. The teins are on a soft setting for daily driving and I would put ride comfort somewhere between stock wrx and sti suspension. Its only a solid "thunk" when you hit the larger potholes and I automatically drive around the worst of them now.
South on R isn't potholed but the undulations are quite... bumpy. I actually like that bit of road :)

#54 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:13 PM

Ever wondered what a butt load of awesome looks like? ............. Yeah, neither have I.

I do however now know what a boot load of awesome looks like :D

Posted Image

A full 6MT drivetrain upgrade which I finally managed to pick it up on the weekend :)

#55 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

Sweet digs mate, can't wait to see her all buttoned up!

Cheers,
Nik

#56 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

New engine bay pic

Posted Image

#57 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

looks the goods mate. i think i might invest in one of those turbosmart kompact BOV's when i get my new intercooler

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#58 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:08 AM

I hope you don't have the clutch dramas I did. Check how the fingers on the pressure plate sit before you go to the trouble of slinging the 'box in. :)

As for the steering rack, I would HIGHLY suggest one of the STi RA super-short-ratio racks (something like 2.3 or 2.1 turns rather than the "normal" 2.7 STi rack). A mate has one in his Liberty and the precision is amazing.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#59 waali

waali

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Cheers gents.

Marv, what do you mean? All the gear is 6mt, clutch/pressure plate, flywheel, starter, slave, fork, etc.

Rack may well be an option down the track but after the 6mt install focus will be on saving for engine.

Which raises the next question 207 or 2.5, so many decisions.

#60 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

I had a problem with my recent 6MT/R180 install. I had all 6MT gear, brand new 6MT Exedy HD clutch, 6MT flywheel machined to spec... but there seems to have been a defect with my pressure plate (brand new, genuine Exdey) which caused too much preload on the clutch plate and wouldn't let it disengage.

In a heavier Forester, I'd be tempted to go a new EJ255 with Pauter rods and CPs (with the oil ring mod). I'd get the heads machined out to suit the combustion chamber, too. Some people say leave them, but nobody can prove it isn't a waste of time doing it on a motor. If you go 2.5 you'll want a really good intercooler, good headers (proven to be a restriction on 2.5s) and a large turbo (TD06 20G would be where I'd look). I'd want compression around 9:1 for snappy mid-range, though you want to pay attention to your quench height.

207 is a far easier swap, though your stock heads are the biggest limiting factor. Get rid of them.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users