67 replies to this topic

#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

hey everyone, I have a thread about this on Ozgimperty but i dont wanna ask questions over there for obvious reasons :D. ANYWAY, i have some poor fuel economy in my gen 2 atm. I've had this the whole time ive had the car (3ish months) and was REALLY bad when i first got it (like 100km too half a tank bad). Since then ive reset the ECU a few times and have had my O2 sensor replaced as that was stuffed. Now......im still not completely happy with the amount of fuel its drinking. Im getting 170ish km too half a tank but there are many variables as well which is making me wonder if i should get my CTS changed or bite the bullet and live with it. ALL my driving is city driving, to and from school is in a fair bit of traffic (for Adelaide standards), depending on the time i leave for school the engine is cool for the first 3-4 minutes of my drive (i let the car warm up), i use 91 RON because a) think its a waste to put 98 in my car and B) affordability. When i do go for a drive on a Friday or Saturday night i can easily use half a tank depending on how far i drive and how i drive but id only do 150 odd kms in that one night and i think thats crap economy from a 2.2L. A half a tank lasts me week because i dont really do that many km's, because the car uses a shite load of fuel. I've had injector cleaner through it, new fuel filter, new spark plugs, new O2 sensor and have reset the ECU as i said before and this has made a slight difference in economy. Im also getting new leads this week nd putting UEC through it next week as well. SO after all that ranting.....which hopefully made sence, my question is, Should i get the CTS changed? Is this about the right economy for my driving conditions? Why do EJ22's have AIDS? sorry for the essay guys, help appreciated as always. Cheers Ash P.S. under stand that my fuel gauge could be a factor as itsa subaru item and also has teh AIDS.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

How hard do you drive it? seriously. Checked the FPR vacuum line? Air leak in the intake?
MY02 Liberty B4

#3 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

i dont drive it hard most of the time because i know WOT=ridiculous consumption. Change gearsat 3000-3500 most of the time and occationally take it past 5500. No i havnt checked the FPR vacum line. havnt thought about it and dont know where it is because i is a n00b :D. Ill check the intake when i get a chance. anything else?

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#4 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

mate if u remeber i was in same boat as you. its good you've changed the sensor. i got 350km with including my paper run(which sucks heaps of fuel) in my last full tank. my economy only became this good after my last reset, weird aye. i've ordered a cts and if i get it before you i'll let you know how i go. other than that if everything is good, drive it for a week then for an hour disconnect the battery again and hook up and see if it gets better it that was honestly how mine got fixed up, hopefully it will be same for you.

#5 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

is yours awd?

#6 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

yeah i do remember you had shit economy mate. I got 300km to a tank recently but before the O2 sensor change. That was 40odd litres though, which is apparently full <_<. Ill do the battery dance on the weekend i guess and hopefully it works but i doubt it. What are you getting to a tank atm? Yes my car s AWD

#7 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:55 PM

i get 350km incl my paper run(which consists of hunders of stop, starts, few real steep uphills aswell) i also do a few full throttle runs and 3/4 usage of the go pedal oh and i'm auto. my guess is if i did alot of normal relaxed driving i'd get somewhere into the 400km+ but proll not 500. mate how come you always doing half tank runs? it will make a world of difference if you went from full to the yellow light. Being awd also sucks extra fuel so maybe your not doing so bad after all.

#8 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

i used to do the papers....hn i was like 11 lol nah nothing wrong with that at all. because i couldnt afford to fill up every week and a half or so. Might beable too in the next few weeks if i stop sending money lol. oh and my yellow light doesnt work.

#9 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:39 PM

i dont know how hard u drive it, but i get 380-580 on my B4 and depends what fuel i use. 550-580 on mobil 98

#10 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

oh and my yellow light doesnt work.

how do you know??

my ej22 used to get 430km to a tank (thats down to 56l from a 60l tank)

i changed the O2 sensor and just recently got 530km... though i'm still not entirely happy.

i think maybe my temp sensor is rooted as it's pretty shitty when it's cold... that, and i've got to get out the IACV and clean that...

new tools this week (for my birthday, woo)

so i'll be getting stuck into it, because i can... :D

2mmwi1w.jpg

#11 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

Bad economy eh? Must suck to hear that I got over 700k's in my GenIII last week. I would be trying to run it down as low as possible to see when the fuel light comes on. I bet it does work and your gauge is faulty.

#12 Mav

Mav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:54 AM

yer i get 600ks from my 3.0 h6
current - 2006, Gen 4 - 3.0r - spec b, mods - Cusco Strut Brace, Cusco 23mm Rear Swaybar, Cusco BCS, JDM spec b Grille, 6000k HID Xenons, UltraWhite LED Parkers
former - 2000, Gen 3 - 2.5l RX Liberty, mods - Powerchip Gold 98, Borla extractors, Cat-back sports exhaust, Bilstein Suspension w/ Kings low's, Whiteline X\Heavy duty ADJ rear swaybar, Whiteline front Strut Brace, 6000k HID Xenons.

#13 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:31 AM

Change the CTS.... One thing I will note. Is that after my car dumped all its coolant and I refilled it, it got TONNES better fuel economy. At one point it did 275km's and I only managed to fit 18ltrs of fuel back into it!! Perhaps flushing the cooling system may also be on the cards. The FPR vacuum line runs from the manifold to a small solenoid looking thing just bellow the IACV on the fuel rail. The vacuum line fro the FRP start beside the vacuum line for the BMC.
TSM

#14 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

That was 40odd litres though, which is apparently full <_<.

Your tank holds 60L and the light doesnt come on til approx 9L left.

Put a 10L gerry can in the car and drive it til either the fuel light comes on or it runs out of fuel. Either way you'll know if your fuel light works. ;)

Never go by the gauge on a Gen2 to work out kms. My 2.2 would be on empty at about 450kms, but i would get an easy 550+ when the fuel light came on.

The gauge in the GT is no better. I just go by the light.

OEM+

#15 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

Try cleaning the MAF sensor too :D it has made a bit if difference to the economy of my B4 :D I reckon I am getting better fuel economy then you are, and my economy sucks

#16 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

my car takes about 45l when i have the yellow light

#17 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:08 PM

im happy with all my subbies fuel economy.... espesh the B4

#18 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

right ok have come to the conclusion that my fuel guage has AIDS along with the 2.2 :). I acctually fillied up today wth BP 95 to see how much ill get with the new O2 sensor in. Reason being for me thinking i has an AIDS ridden gaue is that i could only cram in 40.9 litres so ill get a jerry can and run it down as low as i can this time and see what comes up. If i get 450ish ill be happy for now as i do that amount of driving in like 3 weeksbut ive got new leads going in and getting UEC on the weekend so hopefully that will give me some improvement as well. And yes SUBARU it really does suck to hear that you got 700km to a tank!!

#19 d_generate

d_generate

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Honestly, how hard is it for some of you guys to figure out......Fill the bloody thing to the top, do 300-400K's fill it to the top again & see how many litres you have used, I'm getting around 580 around town & 660 on a country run from 60L & always go by the light, very accurate compared to the gauge which reads empty for at least 200K's.
98 Liberty, V3 STI running gear, CAI & 3" TBE, pulled a 13.09 @ 104mph

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=TKrsF-2JS3M
In the dunes^^^^^^^^^^

Posted Image

#20 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

I liked my 2.2. Mine didnt have aids, you could of bought it. :D From my experience, always use 95ron fuel, 91 is crap and 98 in the 2.2 is of no benefit.

OEM+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users