67 replies to this topic

#41 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

Will it? It wouldnt be much of a gain though would it? Id rather have the car run smoothly than like crap with 91. Any noticeable difference in putting 98 in your car?

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#42 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

Not really mate. Your car should run fine on 91ron. I'd say you need to think about what servo' you fill up at if your having issues with it. 98ron is going to be a pretty big waste of money in your (or any other EJ22/25) powered car.
TSM

#43 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:54 PM

LOL, you must be crying, I filled mine the other day, 50.4L for 505kl hehehehehe.
Try using United 98 if you have it over there, I'm getting at least 45kl more to a tank & what feels like better performance, it'll take a couple of tank fulls for the computer to adjust but well worth it.

Thats pretty tidy D Gen, country miles, around town or both? I get that but freeway only.

Is the United 98 an ethanol blend?

OEM+

#44 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

IIRC They tag their ethanol fuel as E98 or something similar. The was a United servo' on the coast where i used to live.
TSM

#45 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

I always use 98. Either Shell or BP. I find that 95 give really crappy economy. Last two tanks were 708 k's from 56 litres (some highway driving) and 627 k's from 54 litres (all city driving). GOLD!

#46 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

I always use 98. Either Shell or BP. I find that 95 give really crappy economy.

Last two tanks were 708 k's from 56 litres (some highway driving) and 627 k's from 54 litres (all city driving).

GOLD!

damn it's annoying to hear that...

what's the highest number of KM you've ever got from a tank?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#47 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

damn it's annoying to hear that...

what's the highest number of KM you've ever got from a tank?

Approx 740 k's

#48 jak4cars

jak4cars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

ej22, do the cts first and then decide if u wanna burn it or not i once ran my car on 98 when my car was using alot of fuel and i got like 350km with thrashing the motor, thats really good but my car is more economical now on shit fuel. you will get better economy using 98 but you will be paying more at the bowser so your still kinda in same position.

#49 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

So 91=economy but not very smooth. How the hell did you manage 627km to a tank SUBARU?!?!?! Do you granny your car rather ridiculously? :P Ill see how this tank goes and change the CTS i dare say. Then its just clean the AFM and IACV and ive done everything i can I think.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#50 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:16 PM

SUBARU has a gen3. Totally different motor and engine management. So you can't really draw a conclusion from the information he has provided. (No offense Chris.) Gen2's for some reason use more fuel when they're running 98ron. I don't know exactly why, but I'd suspect it would have something to do with the engine management not being able to advance the ingniton far enough to make use of the extra octane level. Therfore negating any extra power it may have been able to produce. BUT, the extra octane will enable the combustion mixture to burn hotter, this can/will stop carbon deposits and most premium fuels have cleaning agents in them to keep the fuel systems free of contaminants. Jak - Sorry, can't understand that post.
TSM

#51 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:36 PM

Ahhh right. Bit silly on subaru's part to not get the best from 98. Would it be the same with 95 or not? What do you run your car on soop?

#52 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:41 PM

I use 91ron. Its not a silly thing at all on Subaru's part. Like it or not your LX/GX is not and never will be a performance car. There is no need for it to run on 98ron. The choice to tune them to run on 91-95ron would be due to the fact that 98ron is not freely availible through out our country, and is certainly not cheap when it is. 95ron doesn't act exactly like 98ron. I've found there is no noticable difference between 91 and 95. Save that perhaps 95ron has more cleaning agents in it. Seeing as though the EJ22 is about as intricate as a ferguson tractor motor. I don't see the point in spending the extra $4.50 per tank for some detergents to be pumped through my fuel lines.
TSM

#53 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:46 PM

Gen2's for some reason use more fuel when they're running 98ron. I don't know exactly why, but I'd suspect it would have something to do with the engine management not being able to advance the ingniton far enough to make use of the extra octane level.

I get better economy with 98 ron. A good 75 - 100km difference from a tank.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#54 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

How many tanks of 98ron have you run? I found my car was good for 3-5 tanks of it, then my economy died in the arse.
TSM

#55 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

All very valid points there soop. 95 eems to make the motor slightly more smoother but i havnt noticed any power "gain" at all. Next tank ill give 91 a go and see what happens. So Xon get better economy with 98 but soop doesnt? Depends on the car? Driving styles would have a big impact as well. But thats another discussion all together. So far ive done: New plugs and leads New fuel filter New Air filter Injector cleaner put through it UEC put through it last weekend New O2 sensor To try and improve my economy. What else can be done apart from CTS and clean AFM and IACV?

#56 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

reset the ECU.
TSM

#57 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

done that 3 times as well. I guess once thats all done its down to how i drive.

#58 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

How the hell did you manage 627km to a tank SUBARU?!?!?! Do you granny your car rather ridiculously? :P

No, I don't granny it all! I make sure that I have it serviced regularly, don't have any excess weight on board, don't leave the air con running all the time, make sure that tyre pressures are right and use cruise control when ever possible.

So really, I'm not doing anything special.

When I first got the car the economy was worse. I usually got about 480 k's around town. After air intake and exhaust mods, the economy has improved heaps. I guess a little bit of a change in the torque distribution helps.

Continual use of 98 has helped too. If you go from 91 to 98, you'll find that economy will drop after a couple of tanks. If you want to use 98 though, stick it out as economy will improve over time.

SUBARU has a gen3.
Totally different motor and engine management. So you can't really draw a conclusion from the information he has provided. (No offense Chris.)

None taken Paul!

#59 d_generate

d_generate

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

Thats pretty tidy D Gen, country miles, around town or both? I get that but freeway only.

Is the United 98 an ethanol blend?

That's purely around town with very little freeway driving, United/Peak is imported from either the US or Singapore (depends on who you ask) We don't have any ethanol blends in WA yet.

Did they produce a 2.2 n/a gen 2 in Japan? If so it would be worth getting the computer from one as like mine all JDM Subi's were designed to run on 100ron
98 Liberty, V3 STI running gear, CAI & 3" TBE, pulled a 13.09 @ 104mph

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=TKrsF-2JS3M
In the dunes^^^^^^^^^^

Posted Image

#60 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Yeah they did. JDM got all the engines from EJ18 i think. As well as the EJ20DOHC NA. I've looked on IM. Its easier said then done.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users