137 replies to this topic

#81 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Don't contaminate this thread with your mindless drivel.

Learn to read: Nick has mentioned numerous times that he wants to modify it after he gets an unrestricted licence.

Posted Image

#82 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:33 AM

Alex is my blackup. Thanks.

Iain, if you wouldn't mind, hit me up for a few conversions.
I love learning, I love using my hands, my dads really handy and knowledgeable (he's done pretty much every trade..) and I'm really keen to learn more about cars!

But ever since we've moved house into a small place with almost a lack of garage, it's hard to get dirty under/in the car. (take that how you want ;) )

I'd love to do the conversion at home but sadly I don't have the tools or space to do so. I'd probably get someone to do it for me.

S54 would be something that I'd consider a long term, project plan.
S52 sounds like something more reachable with my variables.

Thanks again for your help Iain and Alex.
Names N. Haritsos if you wanna find me on facebook. I'm still a teenager remember so expect epic lols when viewing my profile.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#83 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:45 AM

"you're only as old as the girl you're feeling"

So that'll make Iain about 9yo.
And the girls only looks like girls if you squint or have drunk several kegs, because they're really boys. From Thailand.

So we're down like the syndrome when it comes to shenanigans :P

#84 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

S52 would be economical and not too powerful, no?

Also, it should be legal... no?

Posted Image I'd love to get back to a Bavarian.

S52 = US only 3.2L M3 motor. Basically a 3.2L M52. While I'd love an S54 or to build an M5024 Frankenstein, an S52 imported from the US is what I'd probably end up jamming into my E36, given the lower running costs of the M52-based motor, but still with 3.2L.

E30 325iS is legal to 5.8L NA IIRC.

In qld at least, you cannot drive a car on your p's that has a mod plate for an engine.

So modding the current engine with internal mods would be the only way.

Thanks for that completely pointless post. What does QLD road laws have to do with modifying a NSW-based car?

Iain, if you wouldn't mind, hit me up for a few conversions.
I love learning, I love using my hands, my dads really handy and knowledgeable (he's done pretty much every trade..) and I'm really keen to learn more about cars!

But ever since we've moved house into a small place with almost a lack of garage, it's hard to get dirty under/in the car. (take that how you want ;) )

I'd love to do the conversion at home but sadly I don't have the tools or space to do so. I'd probably get someone to do it for me.

S54 would be something that I'd consider a long term, project plan.
S52 sounds like something more reachable with my variables.

If you're farming it out, S54 is rapidly approaching a 40k+ option. M50B25, M52B28, and US S50/S52 is far, far easier but won't deliver huge hp from a stock motor - mod them and they'll deliver way more HP per $ spent than the old M20. Euro S50B30/S50B32 is still do-able, but will cost quite a lot and is a heck of a lot more mucking around. If you plan it out, I'd be happy to help do the conversion in my garage. I have an engine crane and space to put motor/box/etc together, the wiring is simple and it could be done in roughly 2weeks, working after-hours, drive-in, drive-out.

Motor combos I'd look at go as follows, from cheap/least power, to most expensive/most powerful:

- M50B25, 2.5 DOHC. Iron block, alloy head. 145kW stock. Add US S50 cams & buckets ($300-$500), headers ($800-$1500), chip ($300), injectors ($400) for over 250hp @ engine. You'd need the following off-the-shelf parts for the conversion: wiring harness adapter, engine mounts, different brake booster. Use the stock gearbox you have now with a better clutch and lightweight flywheel ($800). This would be an easy $3k-$5k conversion, but low on the hp gained side seeing you already have a modified M20B25.

- M52B28, 2.8 DOHC. Add US S52 cams (S50 don't fit), headers, chip, injectors, plus M50 intake manifold for approaching 300hp @ flywheel. The M52 is a better engine overall for the E30 as its lighter weight improves handling and the extra 300cc really makes a difference to torque. All the parts used on the M50 I'd recommend on the M52, except the cams as you'd need S52 cams/trays/etc rather than just running S50 ones. You'd probably end up spending $5k-$8k doing this conversion.

- US S50B30/S52B32. You'd have to import it from the US so that would add to the cost, but on the upside they're more powerful than an M50 or M52 out of the crate and upgrading the cams/compression/etc just pushes that advantage further on. This would swallow $10k but you'd be further ahead of the M52 or M50 power wise.

- "5024 Frankenstein". Combine bits of M50, M52 & M54. http://www.bimmerfes...ad.php?t=569110\ This is getting more expensive, but is still a build you could do at home on a stand. This motor, when done, would be what I'd consider to be just about bang-on for an E30 or even an E36 street/track build. We're talking $10k here, but should pass a US S50 for power, especially if you take the time to port the head a bit, stick some aftermarket cams in and run an aftermarket ECU. This thing would HONK.

From there, you'd probably be better off looking at turbocharging an M50 (iron block) for cheap power. You COULD put an older M30B35 in, but I always considered them nose-heavy pigs that destroyed the E30's wonderful balance.

On any of these swaps I'd also use a 318iS radiator and AU Falcon thermo fans as it tidies up your engine bay a whole bunch, plus I'd look at spending on better brake rotors/pads, rear shock mount plates, offset solid rubber control arm bushes, weld-in trailing arm camber/toe correctors & swaybar links.

"you're only as old as the girl you're feeling"

So that'll make Iain about 9yo.
And the girls only looks like girls if you squint or have drunk several kegs, because they're really boys. From Thailand.

So we're down like the syndrome when it comes to shenanigans :P

Rock Spider, I ain't.

Down for shenanigans I is.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#85 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

So many options!!

Either way I'm saving for something!

I'm liking the look of US S52B32. That thing looks like it just screams power, and with bigger cams and such, looks even more tasty.

Alex, it appears I feel younger then what I am currently at. Don't tell anyone.

She just turned 16,

so its ok.

*flees*

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#86 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Personally, I'd probably build the Frankenstein. All the power potential of the S32, with the RPM of the 3.0L. Plus, you'd know it's new and nothing should screw out on it. ;)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#87 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

Will look into it. Thanks again Iain.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#88 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Have you considered buying a lower-end shell, using the 325iS as a daily and building a monster?
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#89 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Have you considered buying a lower-end shell, using the 325iS as a daily and building a monster?

Good idea if you have the means and the room.

Would engine capacity be an issue if you use a boonger 318i shell?

#90 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Good idea if you have the means and the room.

Would engine capacity be an issue if you use a boonger 318i shell?

yep, that is why you would deliberately go out and buy a 325/etc shell. Something over 1200kg. Personally, if i were going to build something crazynuts id do an e36 as theyre easier to jam an ls1 in, heavier so bigger engines are legal and have a far superior rear end. Oh and theyre retardedly cheap.
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#91 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm worried that if I get too drunk, I may sell up the house, hookers + blow, buy a cheap E36, crate LS7, *badabing-badabang and make something like this:

I mean come on... The thing is basically skidding just off idle....

7L *should* be engineerable, yeah? Just say its a thongslapper 253 (4.2L)...

*alcohol fuel spanner shenanigans

#92 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

inforhookersandblow.

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#93 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

LS9 is what you want, Alex. :)
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#94 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

Marv.

Once I get off my P's its either gonna be:

1. Retire iS, buy subaru turbo daily, build E30 track monster.
2. Continue iS daily, build E30 track monster.
3. Retire iS, buy subaru turbo daily.

1/3 are variables depending on how much of a payrise I get in April.. fingers crossed I'll pass the 60k/year mark.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#95 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Iain.

If I set a budget of $8000, could I have a running 325iS with an S52 no dramas?

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#96 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Love it or hate it, did a bit of work to my cluster today.

CF overlay, silver rings and green alpina rev indicators.

Looks so Posted Image'ing nice, totally updates the cluster 1000000x into the 2000s. Probably not for the dire purists though, easily reversible.

Posted Image

Generic before image:

Posted Image

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#97 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

That looks Posted Image'ing awesome Nick.

Well done mate.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#98 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

That looks awesome!

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#99 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

Looks great, the rings and green thing make it look a lot more E46! Have you got a photo of it back in the car?

#100 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Looks great, the rings and green thing make it look a lot more E46! Have you got a photo of it back in the car?

Was too dark when I put it back in, I'll take another snap tomorrow! :)

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users