147 replies to this topic

#41 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

Around 6-10K will see you in a '92 model with upwards of 150,000klms on the clock. Very nice car though, way ahead of their time.

#42 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

Ide take a VZ V8 over a soarer, I have talked to a few guys who owned the V8 soarers and they were pretty pissed off at its lack of power for a V8, I guess they are a smaller V8 then the Commodores but still. If its in your price range look at the LS2, its more powerful, has more torque and uses less fuel then the LS1 so its a WIN WIN WIN! At least with the Holden youll have more torque then you will know what to do with.

#43 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, this is the #1 reason I'm leaning on the VZ rather than the XR8.
The 302(?) is a revy motor. Always has been. Where as the LS2 is a more traditional V8.

Ide take a VZ V8 over a soarer,

I have talked to a few guys who owned the V8 soarers and they were pretty pissed off at its lack of power for a V8, I guess they are a smaller V8 then the Commodores but still.

If its in your price range look at the LS2, its more powerful, has more torque and uses less fuel then the LS1 so its a WIN WIN WIN!
At least with the Holden youll have more torque then you will know what to do with.

TSM

#44 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

I had a bit of a mental block before :P but yeah the VZ SS has the L76 Engine and the VE got the L98 which puts out 270Kw and 530Nm, The VZ HSV's get the LS2 and then later VE's got the LS3 jobby :D

#45 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:02 PM

Lance you keep missing the point.

Jap cars are all HP. I want the torque for towing shit around. I don't care for 0-100km times. I'm not really after a "Performance" car persea. I just dont want a slug :P

That's bullshit, and you know it.
2.5l with a VF34 is a torque monster. Driven nicely you know what they are capable of.
2 years without box problems, going well for me.
You had a sleeved and decked block all finished didn't you? Not bloody far to get that thing finished if that's the case. You already have the 4.11 box and diff, so basically not much cost in getting that into your sedan.
That would go like the clappers.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#46 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

Frank, i would have expected you to know the difference.
As i said, I'm not looking for a blindly fast car.
The 6.2ltr V8 makes so much torque just off idle and effortlessly.

My main concern is towing heavy trailers. Very heavy trailers.
Which i strongly doubt even the best sorted 4cyl turbo will do.

As I said in the PM. The block needs the crank journals fixed up to suit the Ej257 crank, it needs to be bored/honed and have the deck honed. If thats the correct terminology.
Essentially its just had the sleeves fitted. Thats it.

That, and it's going to cost what, $20k to get it in the car and running well?
And after all that its only capable of what the LS2 can do in standard form, and have a much shorter life expectancy?
Don't get me wrong, it would be alot of fun and perform very well for what it is. But its not ever going to be a work horse.

That's bullshit, and you know it.
2.5l with a VF34 is a torque monster. Driven nicely you know what they are capable of.
2 years without box problems, going well for me.
You had a sleeved and decked block all finished didn't you? Not bloody far to get that thing finished if that's the case. You already have the 4.11 box and diff, so basically not much cost in getting that into your sedan.
That would go like the clappers.

TSM

#47 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Frank, i would have expected you to know the difference.
As i said, I'm not looking for a blindly fast car.
The 6.2ltr V8 makes so much torque just off idle and effortlessly.

My main concern is towing heavy trailers. Very heavy trailers.
Which i strongly doubt even the best sorted 4cyl turbo will do.

As I said in the PM. The block needs the crank journals fixed up to suit the Ej257 crank, it needs to be bored/honed and have the deck honed. If thats the correct terminology.
Essentially its just had the sleeves fitted. Thats it.

If you are towing anything more than 1200-1400kg (with brakes), which Liberties can do, you need a 4x4. Even if Dunnydoors say they can handle 2 tonne, would you, and for how long before it farked out? You need something with chassis rails wouldn't you think?
LS2's only boogie torque-wise at around 2k rpm, same as a torquey 2.5. I've driven holden V8's and would say they aren't all that great untill the LS3's and are comparable to my 2.5.
Getting the journals done and the deck skimmed on your block is very cheap, you are almost there, why stop now. SO CLOSE.
It's got to be cheaper than buying another car.
That is unless you are over the whole Subaru scene?

#48 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

To do the 2.5 I need: Finnish the block. Buy internals Buy heads Exhaust system Turbo Manifolds Loom ECU Fuel pump fit the gearbox and diff Which requiers a new pedal box and center console as well as a new Driveshaft. Plus a shit load of hours. The alternative is pay 20k for a car that will do exactly what all ^^ that will do in standard form, and most probably for another 20yrs. So where I'm at is, do i spend 20-25k on the engine, plus about a weeks worth of work on the current car, which needs some work done to it, to be in 100% condition to start with. Or do i just cut to the chase and save my self alot of hassle? From my point of view. The VZ seems like a good choice, simply because it will get flogged to high hell. They're cheap to insure. (To the tune of $600 per annum cheaper than an RS Liberty, so you can bet a Modified 2.5ltr GX with all the listed mods will requier butt secks to cover the premium.) Its not that I have my heart set on a VZ or the LS2. I'm just trying to be realistic. Thus my scoff at the EVO suggestion. Honestly I've even pondered a Diesel Rodeo. My only concern with them, is that when they aren't pulling 2tonne down the road, they are a slug. I had a quick look at the Monaro again this afternoon. The owner wasn't home so I couldn't talk turkey. But it did look very neat. The little discription page in the window says the engine was rebuilt 35k km's ago. The suspension components all look new. And look to be pedders. It's straight and clean. And for <10k, its also certainly on the cards, Wholy dependant on what Mr.Insuranceman says on the issue.
TSM

#49 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

To do the 2.5 I need:
Finnish the block.
Buy internals
Buy heads
Exhaust system
Turbo
Manifolds
Loom
ECU
Fuel pump
fit the gearbox and diff Which requiers a new pedal box and center console as well as a new Driveshaft.
Plus a shit load of hours.

The alternative is pay 20k for a car that will do exactly what all ^^ that will do in standard form, and most probably for another 20yrs.
So where I'm at is, do i spend 20-25k on the engine, plus about a weeks worth of work on the current car, which needs some work done to it, to be in 100% condition to start with. Or do i just cut to the chase and save my self alot of hassle?

From my point of view. The VZ seems like a good choice, simply because it will get flogged to high hell. They're cheap to insure. (To the tune of $600 per annum cheaper than an RS Liberty, so you can bet a Modified 2.5ltr GX with all the listed mods will requier butt secks to cover the premium.)

Its not that I have my heart set on a VZ or the LS2. I'm just trying to be realistic. Thus my scoff at the EVO suggestion.
Honestly I've even pondered a Diesel Rodeo. My only concern with them, is that when they aren't pulling 2tonne down the road, they are a slug.

I had a quick look at the Monaro again this afternoon. The owner wasn't home so I couldn't talk turkey.
But it did look very neat.
The little discription page in the window says the engine was rebuilt 35k km's ago. The suspension components all look new. And look to be pedders. It's straight and clean.
And for <10k, its also certainly on the cards, Wholy dependant on what Mr.Insuranceman says on the issue.

Now you making sense, with the ute, not a V8 as a daily. But then you still have a street car and a rodeo to pull stuff behind.
So again, why a V8. You love Subi's, don't you? :(

#50 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:34 PM

Now you making sense, with the ute, not a V8 as a daily. But then you still have a street car and a rodeo to pull stuff behind.
So again, why a V8. You love Subi's, don't you? :(

LOL, you fuggen 4cyl fanboi's :P.

I *COULD* get a X8 Holden ute :)

Why a V8?
They can be used to tow heavy loads, which is requiered for work and recreation.
Most V8 powered vehicles are large enough to carry 5-6 adults comfortably. (Large 4X4's are substantially more expensive than a sedan to buy/run/keep)
Generally understressed in day to day duties, there for wont/shouldn't break down as redilly.
Fuel consumption isn't effected by adding weight (LOL!!!)
TSM

#51 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:51 PM

If you're buying based on towing really heavy loads and insurance, get yourself a Land Rover Defender. They have enough towing powefr to reverse the earth's rotation. By the sounds you've got really heavy loads to pull, so you'd be nuts to go far anything other than a 4x4 or a commercial truck/ute. The manaro sounds too nice to be a tow pig and given it's an old car will require constant work and the VZ will get trashed. Keep the Lib and buy yourself a cheap work horse as a tow car. (Courier, B Series, Hilux, F250, Bronco, FJ40, Defender, Discovery, Land Cruiser, Troopy e.t.c.)

#52 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

Monaro is nice, thus the appeal. I would keep my current car if it was financially viable. It just isn't. I can have one or the other. And the Lib is not able to perform the tasks at hand. Thus my problem. I wan't something that will do what i need it to do. But still be able to drag heavy shit. Getting trashed isn't an issue. Honestly any car i get will be lucky to last 5yrs before i sell it on anyway.
TSM

#53 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Buy a FORD F250 diesel V8 toque monster,
MY02 Liberty B4

#54 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

You mentioned the Holden would do its job for another probable 20 years. Good luck with that, especially using it as a work horse. Holdens arent built like they once were. I owned a VY for 3 years. My '93 Legacy is put together much better than the VY was and it was 10 years older.

OEM+

#55 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

I wouldn't have it for twenty years. :) They would do the job though. Perhaps a 1tonne ute might be in order. Lance, Got a spare 40k for me do you?
TSM

#56 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

Yeh if you need a workhorse, at least get a ute.

OEM+

#57 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:40 AM

I once spoke to someone that managed to tow a WWI era tank around with a fairmont. It stretched the chassis to the point the back doors would no longer stay shut, but the engine was quite up to the task...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#58 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:03 AM

I wouldn't have it for twenty years. :)
They would do the job though. Perhaps a 1tonne ute might be in order.

Lance, Got a spare 40k for me do you?

Yeah mate, like we spoke about last night.. Go for a 1 tonner cab chassis with a V8, especiall if you're towing 2000kgs every weekend.

#59 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Looks like i'll have to hit the dealerships then.
At a glance the ute's seem to average 5k more than a sedan f*cken bogan market...

Yeah mate, like we spoke about last night.. Go for a 1 tonner cab chassis with a V8, especiall if you're towing 2000kgs every weekend.

Hmmm:
http://www.carsales....amp;Make=HOLDEN
TSM

#60 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hmmm:
http://www.carsales....amp;Make=HOLDEN

Forget about it mate.. That thing will end up being more trouble than it's worth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users