Photo

So, you have about $50k to spend on a new car...

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#101 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

I once read in a report that the 6th gear in the auto was designed as a massive overdrive gear for Europe (autobahn use) and as such wouldn't engage on our 110kph highways. This was when they were first released though so I'm not sure whether toyota rectified this or not. Might pay to check that too.

Not sure if it was already mentioned on a previous page but considered a D-Max? Tat hey're pretty capable. Interior is nice, quick acceleration and enough torque to comfortably tow a float and 2 nags.

I'll check that out. Handy little bit of info!

Utes are out of the question I'm afraid.

That and Jrod has a late model Rodeo (same as dmax AFAIK) and he hates it with a passion.

#102 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have never had a company car but if I was doing heaps of Kms I would just buy something with no emotional attachment that I could turn over every three years.

I would be hesitant to rack up the Kms if I knew I was to buy it at the end of the lease, unless I had higher payments and had a small residual.

I'm on novated lease, and yep, trying to keep it under 8000km/yr....very easy to do.

Alex, car allowance is usually only good for a dealership not private sale in case anyone is suggesting privates. And can vouch for Jeep being useless, Land Rover and Rangies being in the shop most of their life and not very cheaply fixed, Ford is usually pretty trustworthy, but alas Territory is too small. BitsAreMissan Patrols are hit and miss. Pajero has Dakar heritage. VW, Porsche, Audi and BMW softroaders would be out of the price range so that leaves........

Toyota Landcruiser.

#103 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

$70k 'cruiser means I'll be eating rice and beans for the next ten years.

I have a wedding i need to save up for too.

#104 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

It's a shame utes are off the table then. Triton, Hilux, BT50

I don't know about towing capacity, but we have Toyota Klugers to replace the Prado GXs at work, they go well, had them out bush before on rough (ROUGH) roads, plus driven them on highways, didn't falter, but then again our pockets are deep when it comes to assets. The Prado's were pretty good, very poser though, don't back up their looks with ability.

#105 JRod

JRod

The artist formally known as 988OXR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

That and Jrod has a late model Rodeo (same as dmax AFAIK) and he hates it with a passion.

The farkin thing is gutless mate. Took Frank for a drive in it a few weeks back. We laughed. Actually dropping the new subaru engine in the back of the rodeo just to help get the engine down to work on Sunday and start fitting it to the maroon car. *shock horror*

Also stay away from the Pajeros Alex. 2 reasons - firstly it means wanker in Spanish. Secondly, the one I had in Townsville was forever in the shop getting fixed. Check engine light came on one morning so I took it in to Mitsubishi. They came back and said some valve was stuffed and needed to be replaced, along with the entire inlet manifold and fuel rails. Exhaust manifold was stuffed too - all full of carbon, so that got done the following week. All under warranty. They were able to do it overnight as they had all the parts on the shelf which was a complete shock as a few weeks earlier I needed the left hand rear wheel bearing replaced after it failed. They had them in Brisbane but it was a two week wait!!!!!!

Why doesn't Tara want a ute mate???? Its a work car ffs!

Posted Image

As soon as i mentioned 300kw I was in trouble :)

#106 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Buy Ear muffs/plugs, and then buy a ute :P

Posted Image

#107 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

Tara's old boy just bought the brand new Ford Ranger TDCi 5cyl ute.

She's adamant. NO UTES.

#108 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Shame about no utes, they can be so handy. Although the point is now mute, rodeo/Colorado run a different engine to the dmax and have a tacky interior in comparison. Dmax runs a 3L with variable geometry turbo, gives a nice flat and wide torque curve.

#109 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Alex, car allowance is usually only good for a dealership not private sale in case anyone is suggesting privates.

Not true at all.... A car allowance lets you do whatever you like with the money. e.g. Buy new, buy used (dealer or private), keep current car and use the remaining car allowance as extra income and enjoy the little perk of a pre-tax influx of $X's each month....

Having been in the auto industry and now in the finance/leasing space, here's some info for you....

If you're doing high k's (the ATO deems anything over 30,000 k's a year as a high k driver), then go for a corporate hire purchase (CHP). Keep a log book of your k's for the first 3 months, working out your percentage of business use versus personal. You would want to be doing 60% or more in business travel to get the most gain out of this method. This log book recording last for 5 years (from memory)
come tax time, claim everything and anything you've spent money on.... fuel, tyres, servicing, washing, maintenance, interest on the CHP, depreciation.
For a high k driver, this is the most cost effective method. The fact that you're getting a car allowance just makes the repayments a little less painful. Keep in mind though that you will have a residual payout at the end of the CHP term. So, if your car has high k's, there's potential that you wont' be able to cover the residual through the sell off of the car, meaning that you will have to cover the gap out of your own pocket or in a new finance package.
A good thing here is that you can place a deposit and use a trade in to lower the finance amount, making a more expensive car seem cheaper.

Novated is primarily designed for "private use", however if you're doing lower k's then it's a good way to get some "hip-pocket" savings. A portion of your repayments should come out of your payroll in both pre-tax and post-tax $'s.
Pre-tax contributions lower your taxable income, giving you more money in your pocket (compared to regular finance on the same cost base over the same term). All of your fuel, maintenance, rego and insurance will be paid for each month through your Novated accaount balance, meaning that you never have to put into your own pocket to pay for anything.
Also, any purchase on a used or new car removes GST from the picture, so you save a bit more money at intital purchase too.
There's plenty of options at the end of lease too, re-novate the same car for another X amount of years, pay out the residual and keep the car, sell it pay out the residual and get a new car....
A bit of a pain here is that you can't build equity into a novated lease, due to FBT & GST regulations... So there's no deposit, no trade in, no extra repayments e.t.c. to go against the purchase price or ongoing lease repayments. You can also only get a novated lease if your employer has a corporate account with a leasing company.

Anyway mate, I know that you need to be able to tow the boat, so the Landcruiser will do that, but it's a costly beast. I'll be intersted to hear what you think of the test drive. Good news is that being a Landcruiser it retains it's value well, so any potential residuals through whatever leasing method you choose should be a bit less painful.

I still reckon you should have a look at the Touareg.. 3.5T towing capacity, economical diesels, very comfortable, roomy, friendly to your lady, more toys than you can poke a stick at, easy around town and great as a tow pig/cruiser and cheaper than Landcruiser. As far as value for money goes, the Touareg is pretty unbeatable in the prestige SUV market, especially in the base model 150 spec.

#110 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for writing that!

I now understand bits of it!!! :)

Posted Image

#111 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

No worries. Happy to take any other more complex questions you might have over PM.

#112 JRod

JRod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Now I know why I just crush rocks for a living hahahahahahaha.

Nice write up!

Posted Image

#113 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hi,

You're a drug dealer, JRod? So it isn't so!

Also, Alex, I'm a bit annoyed that you've completely disregarded my Veyron suggestion.

Cheers,
Nik

#114 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Now I know why I just crush rocks for a living hahahahahahaha.

Nice write up!

Hahaha! I hear ya mate!

#115 JRod

JRod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hahaha. Hai Nik. Long time no speak. Sorry for laying dormant. Alex had me locked up in his rape dungeon the past few years.

Posted Image

#116 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

Nice bit of info Chris, props.

A bloke I used to work with has a V6TDI Towrag with a chip.

Pulls like an absolute mofo and he believes it's does a better job of towing his 2t plus boat than his old LPG turbo Patrol. I wouldn't be suprised if it blows Falcodores off the road.

Patrol went like stink too.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#117 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Cheers Subaru, i'm on a lo km's novated at the moment.

What I meant by car allowance being usually only good for dealership is the employer's desire for their employee to buy a newer, reliable, easily repaired vehicle. I didn't mean legally you can't go out and use your allowance for a hot rod or track car..... Just picked up that most employer's watch car allowance and it's usage closely.

#118 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

What you're talking about there is individual company policy, nothing to do with a car allowance as such.

I have seen several company policies that stipulate cars need to be no more than 3 years old, which is flat out stupid and stems back to the old school thinking from when company cars were provided and needed to be turned over every 3 years or so in order to get the most back.

It's becoming less common now, but unfortunately still exists.

#119 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hi guys.

Thanks Chris for your invaluable input.

I've spoken to a finance company. I'm allowed and have been pre-approved for a $65k chattel mortgage, with a 30% balloon after 5 years

I have $10k pocket money.

So we could say that I now have $70k to play with?

Car can be up to five years old (thereabouts)

Changes things up a bit, and opens many opportunities.

My shortlist is now:

Landrover Discovery 4
VW Toerag
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (almost bought one yesterday out of sheer frustration)
Range Rover Sport
Landcruiser 200 series

am I missing something?

#120 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

VW V6TDI the end.
Close the thread please mods/Alex.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users