Photo

So, you have about $50k to spend on a new car...

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#61 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

Jase i think posted this awhile ago......maybe there is a new model???? But yeah after watching this i wouldnt buy a jeep.

You've never driven a Landcruiser Troopcarrier, or any other four wheel drive equipped to the hilt?

Don't kid yourself. A fourwheel drive (apart from most road based soft roaders) will do that when you rapidly swerve.

Youtube - the new "Today Tonight"?

Posted Image

#62 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

no car should act like that. Period.

^^^^cool photo but

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#63 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Jeep = Everything terrible that I have ever known about cars.

That whole stable (Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge) are some of the worst cars built on the planet. Poor build quality, poor handling, poor ergonomics. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

#64 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

no car should act like that. Period.

^^^^cool photo but

But this is the thing.

Cars can't go offroad. Four wheel drives can. The WK2 Grand Cherokee is quite an accomplished and capable four wheel drive offroad, and for a car to have that capability, it needs ground clearance. The only way to do that, is to raise the car. True?

When you raise a car, you're also raising the car's centre of gravity.

When a car has a higher centre of gravity, and you suddenly change direction, something has to give. Physics translates this shifting mass (2.3 tonnes too, mind you) into an unsavoury situation where the car is likely to shift position.

If you watch the video, I think the Jeep has done a bloody remarkable job with its electronic programs in preventing the car flipping onto its lid. Perhaps it could be better, I don't know.

For the sake of offroading capability, it's a compromise I'm willing to live with. I learnt to drive in a Landcruiser Troopcarrier, that weighed over 2.6t. That included parallel parking the behemoth. It was raised three inches and had oversized wheels and tyres.

You had to drive the thing differently. You couldn't drive it like a car. Because it's not a car.

The Jeep is not a car.

As long as you have this mentality in your head, I think you'll be fine. Drive it like a four wheel drive, and drive it with respect.

Hard to argue all this bang for buck in a premium, capable offroader for $55k

That whole stable (Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge) are some of the worst cars built on the planet. Poor build quality, poor handling, poor ergonomics. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Funny how it won Drive 4WD of the year 2011 then, huh? Dethroned the Landrover Discovery 4!

#65 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

Funny how it won Drive 4WD of the year 2011 then, huh? Dethroned the Landrover Discovery 4!

Sounds like you're on your way to making a decision. I'm only speak from experience in driving the things in the past. I do admit that they do look pretty! I'm not surprised that the Discovery 4 didn't win 4x4 of the year... It's heading down the path of being an SUV more than a purpose built 4x4.

If you love the Jeep, great, go for it, but make sure you take a very close look at them before you decide to jump into one.

#66 simon

simon

Mr POINTY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

I hear what you are saying. 4wds are big clumsy cars always have been always will be.
Having owned/driven afew in my time, yes you do drive them differently.
You dont hear or see videos about the new pardo, new troopy, new patrol blah blah blah falling overlike that.

I like jeeps ive always wanted one.

But that one looks dangerous 2 me mate.

SOLD Legacy GTB 

SOLD Gen 1 RS turbo wagon

SOLD Gen2 Outback limited

Car less atm.......Whats next??

#67 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

I don't like the Jeep.

I like the idea of it.

I'm a Toyota Landcruiser man at heart.

But naturally, I am suspicious of it all. It all seems to be too good to be true.
The previous generation WK GC was all based on Merc mechanicals. Which was somewhat reassuring.

But this is giving me hesitations and hence wanted to discuss it here (with intellectuals like yourselves). I can't help but play the devil's advocate about it, because I'm not convinced when people say "..i saw this on youtube its shit herp herp". Youtube isn't heavily regulated for content or correctness, thus you can upload pretty much anything to it, and people will base opinions upon it, whether its correctly validated on unbiased evidence, or doctored to sway towards an opinion.

Another unnerving fact about the WK2 Jeep is the motor. On paper it looks good. But it's manufactured now in Italy by a mob owned by Fiat called VM Motori. Not sure about reliability/longevity. Have searched various forums and content, and so far, it seems OK.

I'd love to be able just to walk out and buy a fcuking Landcruiser and be done with it! But I can't afford a new/1-2yo one, and I can't buy a ten year old one. And Prados suck teh wang bigtime for being an outdated underperformer.

#68 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi,

Jeep is shit.

Cheers,
Nik

#69 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

they should review cars 3 years on as well as when brand new. would give buyers a much better indication of what the car will be like (wear and tear, servicing, whats it like as a daily etc) similar to what the motor magazines do with their short term (month or so) stints with cars

MY07 GT spec B

#70 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi,

I agree.

http://www.motortren...neyear/01/jeep/

This is one of the better 'long term' reviews. But they're American, so.... bias?!

Cheers,
Nik

#71 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

they should review cars 3 years on as well as when brand new. would give buyers a much better indication of what the car will be like (wear and tear, servicing, whats it like as a daily etc) similar to what the motor magazines do with their short term (month or so) stints with cars

I only have word of mouth to go by.

Apparently, the new Grand Cherokee Sales have been astronomical. So much so, that supply can't meet demand, and dealers aren't really negotiating much on prices.

So I guess it's a matter of sitting back and waiting for a bit...?

I don't think I'll buy a car this year. Waiting until next year for specials/runouts/etc. Just rep with the 'sled and Arsetra.

#72 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hi,

They are pretty much giving them away though. Which they can afford to do, because not many mechanics will touch a Jeep, so you're pretty much locked in to going back to the stealership.

Cheers,
Nik

#73 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

But this is giving me hesitations and hence wanted to discuss it here (with intellectuals like yourselves). I can't help but play the devil's advocate about it, because I'm not convinced when people say "..i saw this on youtube its shit herp herp". Youtube isn't heavily regulated for content or correctness, thus you can upload pretty much anything to it, and people will base opinions upon it, whether its correctly validated on unbiased evidence, or doctored to sway towards an opinion.

Which is a smart move... I hadn't seen that youtube vid before today and based my previous comment on the build quality, handling and ergonomics on having driven a few in the past. That video only reinforced what I already knew.

The world of SUV/4x4 purchasing in the 1-2 year old bracket is an expensive one, especially if you're looking at full sized, fully fledged offroaders.

Why does the car have to be 1-2 years old? Is that part of the vehicle policy at your new employer?

#74 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Why does the car have to be 1-2 years old? Is that part of the vehicle policy at your new employer?

I am merely assuming this.

#75 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

It would be abnormal for them to limit it to 1-2 year old vehicles. It would be financially crippling for their staff to be rotating their vehicles that frequently.

Most likely there might be policy around used vehicles being less than 5 years or less than 70,000 k's.

If that were the case, you're open to a whole new world of what you can buy.

#76 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

Fleet is as above; 5y/o or <100K

There's probably more covenants behind it though.

Cheers,
Nik

#77 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Correct Nik, that usually the case. However, it will depend if it's just a flat out car allowance (in which case Corporate Hire Purchase is usually the best option), or if it's a choice of operating lease vehicles, or if it's a Novated Lease.

Alex, find out what your vehicle policy is!

#78 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

I only have word of mouth to go by.

And it just sucks that sometimes all you hear is the "lemon" stories. I have just bought a veedub and 6 months ago if you said would I buy a VW i would of said hell no!

MY07 GT spec B

#79 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

And it just sucks that sometimes all you hear is the "lemon" stories. I have just bought a veedub and 6 months ago if you said would I buy a VW i would of said hell no!

I love our Passat. It's rad... I think I like driving it more than the Liberty actually.

#80 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ask Jase about Jeep

Jase. Jeep?

Hated.

With a passion that defies description.

Regardless of the Elk test they drive like crap IMO.
The Hilux is a nicer drive but rolled on the Elk test so I really the test means very little.

3.5t towing capacity.

I call BS.

The inlaws '04 Grand Cherokee turbo diesel is rated at 3.2t.
Has 6 bolts (my Commodore is rated at 1200kg and has eight bolts) holding the towbar on the recycled jam tin body.

The caravan they tow tore the towbar from the body and Jeep Oz washed their hands on the matter.
Since when does a 'Customer Service' person say "Go ahead and try, you'll get noting out of us."?

Hi,

Jeep is shit.

Cheers,
Nik

Agree

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users