• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Start

Start

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Too much valve bouncing at the lights bro..

#42 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

5k N/A launch @1mph

(null)

#43 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Why did I read this?

#44 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Because it helps you reaffirm that you still know what you're talking about when addressing the new na kids on the block.

#45 mitch233

mitch233

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Driving
    Gym
    Music

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

I was wanting uel headers for the noise but i do like my car to run smoothly so i think i may just stick to stock and wait until i can drive turbo lol.

#46 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

I've no idea who you've been speaking to on ASN, but for a start, 2.5 is too big for your NA.

I don't know what you're talking about when mentioning "engine breathability". Sounds like some kind of crap some moronic sale person, or someone who didn't know what they're talking about would say.

The end game here is that your engine is already sucking in as much air as it possibly can. No amount of frigging around with your air feed will deliver any more oxygen than it already receives unless you force air in there with a bolt on a supercharger kit or do a turbo conversion.

Likewise, your engine is already pushing out exhaust gases as efficiently as it needs to. By bolting on a large exhaust you'll lose power but will create a whole lot of noise.

Please don't believe the hype. A direct air feed mod and full exhaust on these cars is a waste of time and money if you think you're going to see ANY performance gains.

If you want to gain performance you've got a few options:

1. Get some EQUAL length headers, tune your ECU and run 98 octane.(again a waste of money)
2. Leave the engine and exhaust as is and make it fast around corners with suspension mods.
3. Do a supercharger conversion (around 5 grand).
4. Sell it and buy a turbo.

As for for your suspension question, if you're happy with the way it handles, just get some.heavy duty springs installed in the rear to accommodate for the extra weight and be done with it.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours, but to me, it sounds like you need to do one thing:

Keep your car stock, clean it up, sell for as much as possible and get an Outback Limited that comes with self leveling rear suspension as standard.

I asked the same question about whether the 2.5" is too big. Someone on liberty.asn explained that gases will travel faster through a small pipe than a large one and that although the extra .25" may not seem like much, it would still give positive results.

I am the moron who coined the term 'engine breath-ability' due to my limited understanding of how an engine works (combustion and expelling of gases). I was only thinking of it logically with what I know.

How do I tune my ECU if my model year Liberty isn't able to have the ECU tuned, as seems to be the case from what I've been told/read.

I would love to do a supercharger conversion on my car, especially since I have heard autos are better at holding the gears without damaging the clutch plate.
I paid cash for my Liberty and so spending cash to fix up the body just to sell her would mean I would seriously lose out, especially considering the mileage is relatively low.

Is the Outback Limited the only model with the self leveling suspension?

I find myself torn between 2 choices: if I was to get an Outback and my gf gets the Liberty, I'd want coilovers for better handling and less body roll, however I'd also love a 2" (max legal limit in SA) lift kit so she's very practical but then I wouldn't get fun out of coilovers. I'm much more of a fan of supercharging it, as opposed to turbocharging.

Do you have a need to try and diagnose a particular issue?

I just would like to see if everything is running fine. There may be something I haven't picked up on.

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#47 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

There's no reason you'd put a performance exhaust on an EJ25 NA Subaru other than to make noise. Unequal length headers/extractors actually decrease performance.

Is this only true for the EJ25 or EJ20 and EJ22 as well?

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#48 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Whoever you're speaking to on asn is giving you a bum steer mate. Keeping you exhaust stock will deliver more power than a 2.5 inch one.
2.5 is about right for a turbo, but useless for yours.

The only way to tune your ecu will be by replacing your current one with an aftermarket unit. Expensive and questionable given the very small gains you'd obtain.

As far as checking for any issues goes, if there's no warning lights on the dash and nothing abnormal going on, then you likely won't throw any codes. I wouldn't bother chasing this.

In Gen3 land, yes. The outback limited is the only one with self leveling suspension.

As for you question around whether exhaust mods change between engine variations, if you haven't cottoned onto what I'm saying so far, let me be as clear as this; exhaust and intake mods on almost ALL naturally aspirated Subaru's are good for nothing but creating noise.

I can see why you're asking these questions, but you're barking up the wrong tree with the car you've got.
Don't bother chasing power unless you're prepared to convert to turbo or supercharge. Any other mods could be perceived as a waste of time and the cash you'd spend would be better saved to put towards a car more suited to your needs. Something like a 3.0 Outback for instance?

#49 Mitch.

Mitch.

Fart Smuggler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Surfin' Da Web

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Listen to SUBARU he is giving you the right advice.

Dont go 2.5. Go 2.25 max

Dont get a tune after you dont need one

Your not going to get any power for any exhuast system you put on an na

Any exhuast mod on an na is purely for sound

#50 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:whatever has wheels and an engine!

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Listen to SUBARU he is giving you the right advice.

Dont go 2.5. Go 2.25 max

Dont get a tune after you dont need one

Your not going to get any power for any exhuast system you put on an na

Any exhuast mod on an na is purely for sound

when i fitted an exhaust system to mu gc8 n/a i did a tuning up:new spark plugs,petrol filter,cleaned my manifold with engine conditioner cleaned all the carbon from the engine!all the carbon (shit) came out of the exhaust (white smoke).had a slight difference

#51 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

That's not a tune up. A tune up is something of the past, when carbies, timing, throttle etc all needed to be manually for the engine to run well.
It's all done electronically these days.

What you did was a bit of minor maintenance on the wear and tear items. If the plugs and manifold are full of carbon, then yeah new plugs and upper engine cleaner will make it a little smoother.

#52 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

That's not a tune up. A tune up is something of the past, when carbies, timing, throttle etc all needed to be manually for the engine to run well.
It's all done electronically these days.

What you did was a bit of minor maintenance on the wear and tear items. If the plugs and manifold are full of carbon, then yeah new plugs and upper engine cleaner will make it a little smoother.

the mechanic plugged his computer to the EPU

#53 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

Wow, sigh and facepalm at the same time...

I'm so, so done with this thread.

#54 Samwise

Samwise

Official official of the official.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,434 posts
  • Interests:Taste so good, make you wanna slap yo' mama.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

the mechanic plugged his computer to the EPU

That's not a tune..

I like to think of it as borrowing someone's car and driving it better than them.

#55 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

this is what i did

#56 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Seriously.... Get a grip mate. That's not a tune, that's not servicing... Its not anything to be banging on about.
anyone would think you've just given your wannabe turbo an actual turbo conversion.

Apologies for being a bit harsh, but wtf is the big deal here?

#57 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Seriously.... Get a grip mate. That's not a tune, that's not servicing... Its not anything to be banging on about.
anyone would think you've just given your wannabe turbo an actual turbo conversion.

Apologies for being a bit harsh, but wtf is the big deal here?

im just saying what i did after i fitted my exhaust system,nothing else mate

#58 Zac

Zac

1544C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,686 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Wow, sigh and facepalm at the same time...

I'm so, so done with this thread.

I'm just following it for the Lolz...

2002 B4 Rev E

2004 Outback Premium 3.0R

#59 Mitch.

Mitch.

Fart Smuggler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:Surfin' Da Web

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

Im not having a go at you mate. Was just trying to answer a couple of questions at once so everything didnt keep going around in circles.

As for changing the plugs and other things after the exhuast was done. Essentially you were just servicing the car which wasnt needed because of the new exhuast but is a good thing to do regulary anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users