• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Thats what i was thinking. I paid just under 400 for my NA cat back.
[03.SUBY]

#22 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Big dosh for an N/A.

+1

+2

#23 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:whatever has wheels and an engine!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:09 PM

$1200 for an exhaust!?!?!?

:/

no mate cant u read above the whole exhaust system with the fitting(read before posting something)!!

#24 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

$1200 for an exhaust!?!?!? :/

$1200 for all the X Force exhaust system!unequal headers-center resonator (hotdog)hi flow cat 2.5" pipe and a straight out 4" cannon muffler(with fitting)

#25 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

http://xforce1-px.rt...ubaru&model=121

#26 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Sorry mate but they are actually equal length headers.

#27 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Sorry mate but they are actually equal length headers.

i fitted the uneqeal headers!

#28 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yeah. I know what you said. You could have paid $600 and got the same thing, and not get called a *** for having a cannon.
[03.SUBY]

#29 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

$1200 with fitting they r stainless steel! i will upload a video soon!

I have been indecisive on whether to get a cat-back exhaust for my Gen 3 Liberty and so I'd just like to ask you some questions:

1. What was the reason you decided to get your package? eg. performance increase, exhaust note, better drive-ability?
2. How did you come to the conclusion of what to get with your exhaust system? eg. your setup over a cat-back or even just a muffler?
3. What made you go stainless over mild steel?
4. Did you choose 2.5" over 2.25" yourself or was it recommended to you by someone?
5. Are you pleased with the end result/s?
6. If you had your chance again, would you do anything different?

Thats what i was thinking. I paid just under 400 for my NA cat back.

I recently got a quote for a 2.25" mild steel, mandrel bent cat-back system, small resonator with MS Lukey muffler and chrome tip for $520 including labor.

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#30 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

I have been indecisive on whether to get a cat-back exhaust for my Gen 3 Liberty and so I'd just like to ask you some questions:

1. What was the reason you decided to get your package? eg. performance increase, exhaust note, better drive-ability?
2. How did you come to the conclusion of what to get with your exhaust system? eg. your setup over a cat-back or even just a muffler?
3. What made you go stainless over mild steel?
4. Did you choose 2.5" over 2.25" yourself or was it recommended to you by someone?
5. Are you pleased with the end result/s?
6. If you had your chance again, would you do anything different?
Hey ssickness666,I made a few calls to some companies that sell exhaust systems and x force was the cheapest I found a local muffler guy he was the cheapest. I think the pipe is 2.25.i did a research before getting the exhaust system. I read good comments about x force. I got them for the rumble and the performance! I'm very happy with the results. I wouldn't change anything.i chose stainless steel because it last longer and u get a better sound. Cheers argi

I recently got a quote for a 2.25" mild steel, mandrel bent cat-back system, small resonator with MS Lukey muffler and chrome tip for $520 including labor.

#31 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

There's a really simple answer.

There's no reason you'd put a performance exhaust on an EJ25 NA Subaru other than to make noise. Unequal length headers/extractors actually decrease performance.

"If" there were any power gains to be had by spending the money on doing this, they would be negligible.

Having done a performance exhaust upgrade on my old RX, and eventually converting it back to stock, I can confirm that the car will drive better with the stock setup.
Subaru do a pretty good job in extracting close to max power from the NA's from factory.

Save your coin and and spend it on suspension and brake modifications instead.

#32 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

ar u fitting headers too?

Not at this stage. I'm still acquiring testimonials and information.

There's a really simple answer.

There's no reason you'd put a performance exhaust on an EJ25 NA Subaru other than to make noise. Unequal length headers/extractors actually decrease performance.

"If" there were any power gains to be had by spending the money on doing this, they would be negligible.

Having done a performance exhaust upgrade on my old RX, and eventually converting it back to stock, I can confirm that the car will drive better with the stock setup.
Subaru do a pretty good job in extracting close to max power from the NA's from factory.

Save your coin and and spend it on suspension and brake modifications instead.

That seems to be the norm from what I've read/been told so far.

I have been conversing with a member from liberty.asn who has owned the exact same Liberty as me and did a 2.5" CBE and he would do it again. My reasons for wanting an exhaust upgrade is not for anything else other than slight performance increase (I am aware it will be negligible at best), improved throttle response and a different exhaust note as a bonus. I was considering headers because I am logically comparing the breath-ability of the engine to an athlete; the more air the lungs can take in, the more energy the runner may have, and with the car; the amount and speed of which gases can be expelled from the engine, the better performance.

Feel free to correct me further, I welcome it. I'd rather make an informed decision not to get an exhaust, than to make an ill-informed decision to get an exhaust.

Initially I wanted stiffer springs in the rear because it sags when not under load and so when I go riding in the hills, the bike rack and bikes make it sag further, sometimes resulting in my rack slightly bottoming out. I was quoted $530 for stiffer springs, shocks and labor from Pedders but then a member on liberty.asn said I can get a set of BC coilovers for $1150 brand new on Ebay and he'd fit them for a $100 cash job.

Question: by getting coilovers and adjusting the ride height and stiffness of the ride, will that solve my problem or would I need new springs too?

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#33 argi

argi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Not at this stage. I'm still acquiring testimonials and information.

That seems to be the norm from what I've read/been told so far.

I have been conversing with a member from liberty.asn who has owned the exact same Liberty as me and did a 2.5" CBE and he would do it again. My reasons for wanting an exhaust upgrade is not for anything else other than slight performance increase (I am aware it will be negligible at best), improved throttle response and a different exhaust note as a bonus. I was considering headers because I am logically comparing the breath-ability of the engine to an athlete; the more air the lungs can take in, the more energy the runner may have, and with the car; the amount and speed of which gases can be expelled from the engine, the better performance.

Feel free to correct me further, I welcome it. I'd rather make an informed decision not to get an exhaust, than to make an ill-informed decision to get an exhaust.

Initially I wanted stiffer springs in the rear because it sags when not under load and so when I go riding in the hills, the bike rack and bikes make it sag further, sometimes resulting in my rack slightly bottoming out. I was quoted $530 for stiffer springs, shocks and labor from Pedders but then a member on liberty.asn said I can get a set of BC coilovers for $1150 brand new on Ebay and he'd fit them for a $100 cash job.

Question: by getting coilovers and adjusting the ride height and stiffness of the ride, will that solve my problem or would I need new springs too?

i fitted bc v1 coilovers from ben (inchiban) and im very happy big difference on the handling!coilovers r better because u can adjust the height high to low. and ajust how soft or hard u want it.springs r to stiff specially on speed humps.+ if u want to put bigger rims u have to change the rims!cheers argi

#34 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

I've no idea who you've been speaking to on ASN, but for a start, 2.5 is too big for your NA.

I don't know what you're talking about when mentioning "engine breathability". Sounds like some kind of crap some moronic sale person, or someone who didn't know what they're talking about would say.

The end game here is that your engine is already sucking in as much air as it possibly can. No amount of frigging around with your air feed will deliver any more oxygen than it already receives unless you force air in there with a bolt on a supercharger kit or do a turbo conversion.

Likewise, your engine is already pushing out exhaust gases as efficiently as it needs to. By bolting on a large exhaust you'll lose power but will create a whole lot of noise.

Please don't believe the hype. A direct air feed mod and full exhaust on these cars is a waste of time and money if you think you're going to see ANY performance gains.

If you want to gain performance you've got a few options:

1. Get some EQUAL length headers, tune your ECU and run 98 octane.(again a waste of money)
2. Leave the engine and exhaust as is and make it fast around corners with suspension mods.
3. Do a supercharger conversion (around 5 grand).
4. Sell it and buy a turbo.

As for for your suspension question, if you're happy with the way it handles, just get some.heavy duty springs installed in the rear to accommodate for the extra weight and be done with it.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours, but to me, it sounds like you need to do one thing:

Keep your car stock, clean it up, sell for as much as possible and get an Outback Limited that comes with self leveling rear suspension as standard.

#35 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Unfortunately most Gen 3's don't come with the tunable ECU. I think the very last run of them may have come with a tunable one, can't remember..

Just slap on a nice rear muffler and enjoy driving it :D

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

#36 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Unfortunately most Gen 3's don't come with the tunable ECU.

When I contacted the Kido Racing Australia Facebook page I was told that my MY02 RX can't be tuned. I can't find the black and green connector leads under the steering wheel that will allow me to troubleshoot any problems, that I read earlier the DIY - Gen3 NA Direct Air Intake thread.

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#37 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

If you can't find the cables, then don't worry about trying to diagnose anything.

Do you have a need to try and diagnose a particular issue?

#38 SSIKness666

SSIKness666

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

If you can't find the cables, then don't worry about trying to diagnose anything.

Do you have a need to try and diagnose a particular issue?

I'd still like to know where they are.

I don't think I have a problem. I just read in the thread I mentioned, you can reset the ECU that way.

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#39 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Yes, that's one way to clear the ECU. Another is to disconnect the battery for around 10 minutes. Why do you want to reset it?

#40 U-Shell

U-Shell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Guitar, Music, Audio

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

You might have to remove the panel under the steering column to find them. Mine were cable tied up nice and tight, off to the the left side of steering column.

2000 RX Gen 3 Liberty - Sold

http://www.subyclub....-2000-gen-3-rx/

2004 BMW E46 325i Manual - Current weekend warrior

2003 Gen 3 Outback H6 Manual - Current Daily

http://www.subyclub....uild-pic-heavy/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users