Photo

What sort of exhaust set up should I get for my H6 3.0R?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: What sort of exhaust set up should I go for? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

What sort of exhaust set up should I go for?

1. Xforce 2¼" stainless steel catback exhaust system (total of $695) (7 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. STi mufflers ($550) with Xforce front muffler and Y-pipe assembly ($220) (total of $770) (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

3. Stock exhaust but swap mufflers with STi mufflers (total of $500) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Voted Stick with the complete stock exhaust system (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:26 AM

This is a serious question and one that I don't want to get flamed about. I currently have three choices on how to go about modifying my exhaust system. The poll options are pretty much self-explanatory and I am sure that this topic will help other H6 owners decide on whether one approach is better than another. Please try and elaborate as much as you can in regards to why you voted for a specific choice over another (especially if you choose the 'Stick with the complete stock exhaust system') as the more we can describe an advantage or disadvantage, the more knowledge I, and the rest of the community, will gain. If you want me to elaborate on things such as why something is priced the way it is, why I want to get an exhaust to begin with, etc, then just ask. I will have no hesitation in answering your question/s.

It will act as a learning curve for myself and other members of this forum.

Please try and be civil as constructive criticism is welcomed. I haven't found other topics relating to this which is why I have decided to open it up, and I didn't want to include it in my build thread to allow for easy searching of the subject matter.

Thanks to all who post a reply. You will be the deciding factor whichever path I go down.

Here are the links to some products I've mentioned above:

Xforce 2¼" stainless steel catback exhaust system (total of $695): http://www.bestmuffl...8a1aba57fc3eac0
Xforce front muffler and Y-pipe assembly ($220): http://www.bestmuffl...09a6a0535679bd3

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#2 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:53 AM

Option E. Go find exhaust videos on youtube/lib.asn and choose the setup you like the sound and/or appearance of best

#3 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

Idk about option E. Shit microphones combined with unrealistic speakers equal a not true to life sound..
Additionally, I read, just today, on the MRT site that exhausts sound crappy on the 3.0 even when the manifold is modified.. idk why and all, nor if that is a legitimate claim.. and only read it as my mate who recently bought a spec-b sent me the link..

Also, I really would not have thought you'd get flamed for this topic!! :)

#4 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

I'd keep it stock, purely due to the fact that I tend to think along the lines of "what's the point of doing this other than to make noise?".

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:15 AM

What about a set of Raptor headers and a tune (You MUST tune with headers) and leave the rest of the system stock?

Double check the fitment of that X force system as it doesn't state sedan or wagon. IIRC the wagons run a slightly longer tailpipe.

If it were me I would just do mufflers.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 hoff

hoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:42 AM

Mrt don't know anything about H6's as they can't make any money off them in their eyes.

Xforce catback fits both sedan and wagon. The muffler tips are a compromise to fit both and as a result don't look the best on a wagon.

Imo stainless steel is just waste of time considering what you have to pay for it.

The xforce mufflers sound good but they drone terribly at hwy speeds.

Sti mufflers are by far the best for fitment and looks. Sound is pretty much stock.

If you add the xforce centre and ypipe to the sti mufflers you get a nice subtle sound which when a retune is done will Net some small power improvements and some fuel economy.

Stock is just boring and looks terrible.

All of this information is over on Club liberty.

#7 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'd keep it stock, purely due to the fact that I tend to think along the lines of "what's the point of doing this other than to make noise?".

This.

Or just change your rear mufflers and have the ability to swap back fo stock when your over the noise.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#8 Aaron.W

Aaron.W

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Interests:cars and Snowboarding FTW!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:14 PM

Garry. Talk to dawsy as he has a system on his h6 im pretty sure its k2 gear headers and mid section dunno what muffs he hss.. but it sounds HOT!!!

95 Gen 2 gx series 1 with rx body kit built 207 on v2 sti heads, running gear, FMIC,twisted ATP GTX3076 Turbo setup :D

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

Just do mufflers.

You left out the most important part of the question, and that is, WHY do you want to do this?

Also, chill out mate, SubyClub is hardly flame city...

Cheers,
Nik

#10 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

I vote Option E also. It would be the most promising if there were a shop that would let you test a couple of mufflers head to head to see which you preferred the sound of.

These H6s just sound too good to muffle behind a stock exhaust system.

If you look at the S&J site, it shows that there are actual gains to be had with the 3.0R spec B.
http://sjautomotive.com.au/Liberty.htm

Whether it's worth investing is up to you.

#11 Dimeb4g

Dimeb4g

Formerly EOS Heritage

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Photography, My Subaru, My Girl and sport!

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

my mate is looking into doing his blitzen sedan... he is looking at sti quads from the raptor system... i have heard a few 3.0rb's around here... one even had canons on the back that looked shit! but sounded pretty good as he gave it a boot away from the lights ( i was photographing said traffic lights at the time...lol) so i dont think you can go to wrong... i would just keep the size realistic (not go to big) and keep the rear end looking fairly sleek.. i do think the headers are what makes these baby's sing the best though.... oh and that sweet intake sound!

1st 1990 Nissan Pulsar Q. What a rocket!
2nd: Gen 2 RX... Loved and lost...
3rd: 1995 Toyota Corolla which drove from Cairns to Bunbury in 5 Days! 6610km!!! didnt miss a beat.
4th: Gen1 GX bought for $500 went like stink... looked like what caused the stink
5th: More civilized now... with a Heritage Wagon... now gone...
6th Mitsubishi KJ Verada..."its nothing like a suby" now gone...
7th: 2002 B4 Liberty TT....

8th: MY04 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Pack Wagon

JLG Photographics Swimwear, Portrait, Commercial and Automotive Photography.www.jlgphotographics.com
582620_371706622901614_542168895_n.jpg

#12 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Garry!, have you seen this thread? Raptor headers seem like the go...

http://forum.liberty...hp?f=16&t=21723

#13 cliffo3rb

cliffo3rb

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hi,

Just do mufflers.

You left out the most important part of the question, and that is, WHY do you want to do this?

Cheers,
Nik

Some guys over at lib.asn have made some good power gains with the raptor headers and exhaust.

http://forum.liberty...hp?f=65&t=17262

#14 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

My thoughts exactly.

#15 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

Some guys over at lib.asn have made some good power gains with the raptor headers and exhaust.

OK. Well I guess you assumed he was after performance gains? I thought maybe he just wanted visual, but then someone else brought up that it might be for a different sound? Just not sure what Gazhakstahn wants to achieve from the modification.

Didn't see headers on the poll, so now I'm even more confusalagued.

Cheers,
Nik

#16 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Headers are out of the question for now as I cannot afford it. I'm after sound, and the visual aspect of having quad STi mufflers. I do not want to lose anything power-wise. I am looking at getting a tune after getting whatever modification done in regards to my exhaust to increase power (I'm not chasing any particular amount nor do I expect a specific amount, any little bit helps), fuel economy and throttle response.

Hopefully that sums it up. I do appreciate your comments Chamillionaire and by all means am taking it all seriously.

That's the main reason. I want a bit of noise. Nothing Leb-spec, but a nice sound would top it off.

What about a set of Raptor headers and a tune (You MUST tune with headers) and leave the rest of the system stock?

Double check the fitment of that X force system as it doesn't state sedan or wagon. IIRC the wagons run a slightly longer tailpipe.

If it were me I would just do mufflers.

I haven't got the money to go for the headers at the moment (that is if they're way more expensive then getting a bolt on exhaust system). I was planning on it, but I've heard so much about significant power gains being non-existent so it'd be a waste of money. I haven't checked whether there are differences between the tailpipes, but as hoff mentioned, the tips wouldn't look the best on a wagon so that's something I wanna take into account.

Thanks for your opinion mate.

Imo stainless steel is just waste of time considering what you have to pay for it.

The xforce mufflers sound good but they drone terribly at hwy speeds.

Sti mufflers are by far the best for fitment and looks. Sound is pretty much stock.

If you add the xforce centre and ypipe to the sti mufflers you get a nice subtle sound which when a retune is done will Net some small power improvements and some fuel economy.

Stock is just boring and looks terrible.

I just love the look of the stainless steel. I love looking under a car and seeing things shine. Whether that justifies the price you pay I don't know. I really do like the STi look of the mufflers. I love the STi etching on the tips and all that jazz. It tops things off for me. My mate has a Gen IV STi sedan and I constantly am in awe of his quad mufflers.

In regards to stock looking boring and terrible, I wouldn't say it is that bad. But at the end of the day there is a bend in the piping after the Y-pipe which sags the right muffler. Looks dodgy.

Or just change your rear mufflers and have the ability to swap back fo stock when your over the noise.

Oh I am definitely keeping all the stock parts. 100%. When it does come to selling it I'd do what Mark (CRUISN) has done and make it stock again. Things just seem to sell better in their original state (unless you're an enthusiast from here and want to have it with all the goodies).

Thanks for your input.

Garry. Talk to dawsy as he has a system on his h6 im pretty sure its k2 gear headers and mid section dunno what muffs he hss.. but it sounds HOT!!!

I'm pretty sure he's got stainless steel Xforce mufflers. The other bloke with a similar car to Chris had the mild steel. Both sounded hot. I just can't afford to get the entire set up so for now the maximum I'd go is the catback system.

Hi,

Just do mufflers.

Cheers,
Nik

I do like the sound. I don't want to sound like a sick ***** and be fully hectic, but as some people can relate to, a bit of noise isn't a bad thing. In a nutshell, I want a bit of noise without losing a single bit of power. And besides, pink bits look sexy.

Not saying it is man nor am I accusing anyone of it, but I'd rather say it then have to tell someone to piss off if they have nothing constructive to say.

I vote Option E also. It would be the most promising if there were a shop that would let you test a couple of mufflers head to head to see which you preferred the sound of.

These H6s just sound too good to muffle behind a stock exhaust system.

If you look at the S&J site, it shows that there are actual gains to be had with the 3.0R spec B.
http://sjautomotive.com.au/Liberty.htm

Whether it's worth investing is up to you.

Ha ha, tell me about it. Thanks for the link mate. I'll have a read through that. Possibly something to look seriously into in the future?

Thanks for the links Tim. and cliffo3rb.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#17 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well Gaz mate.... Starting with one exhaust component is always safer than diving into a complete system if you're unsure what the final outcome is going to be.

So yeah, if you're after a little more noise, start with the mufflers, check how you like the sound levels and build on it from there.

#18 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

I really like the sound of the TCP Auto mufflers on the 3.0. They also give you the look you want as they have quad tips.

I think they are pretty expensive though.

#19 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

just get a set of sti genome rear mufflers and centre section made up.

freeway.jpeg 

#20 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

I assume the STi Genome mufflers will be expensive as, no? Much more expensive then these for example, right?

I really like the sound of the TCP Auto mufflers on the 3.0. They also give you the look you want as they have quad tips.

I think they are pretty expensive though.

Which is the main concern. I am extremely far off the available bank balance of Bill Gates.

Well Gaz mate.... Starting with one exhaust component is always safer than diving into a complete system if you're unsure what the final outcome is going to be.

So yeah, if you're after a little more noise, start with the mufflers, check how you like the sound levels and build on it from there.

That might be the best way to go actually, hey... Get the STi mufflers. Put them on. See how they go. If I want that extra bit of sound then get the bits and pieces from Xforce and that way I get the best of both worlds and can make judgements before spending the money and regretting it. Thank you SUBARU (in all this time I don't think you've mentioned your real name).

From day one when I read your replies to my introduction topic you've been one of my favourite members of this forum, ha ha!

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users