• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#21 Rich_D

Rich_D

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

Love a good a good Outback! Nice upgrade in the engine department too :)

Oderint Dum Metuant

A.H.P

After Hours Performance

#22 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Nicely done mate, looks good :) I want that rear spoiler!

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#23 FR34KO

FR34KO

GRANDMA's BOY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Interests:SNOWBOARDING.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Cool ride man! :)

#24 AB501UT!0N

AB501UT!0N

Blitzen...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Fish and IT!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

Really nice car mate and also the conversion aswell :)

#25 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

Cheers - pretty happy with where its at, but still a few things I'd like to finish off. I must say though, I'm pretty happy with the general driveability of the twin setup around town. Not sure how long it will take before I get sick of it but quite happy with it right now!

I really like how the spoiler finishes off the rear end too. And to think I was in two minds about installing it...

#26 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Nicely done mate, looks good :) I want that rear spoiler!

Check Import monster Shiv.

#27 Hypnotic

Hypnotic

Everything you see is an hallucination

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,835 posts
  • Interests:long walks behind abandoned buildings.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Very nice! Great stuff.

As soon as she hands it to you, slowly take of your pants, then, while staring her straight in the eyes rub it against the tip of you penis, while continuing your painfully intense gaze whisper to her;

"My eye is watering, this might be a bit hot"

I should just convert to single, right?

Horsepower Factory

Revzone Auto Tuning Centre

#28 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Quick update:

Time has not been in my favour flat out with work and moving house at the moment, but got a couple of things happening regardless.

Car is running like a charm - had it checked over by Garage 7 for my own peace of mind and everything is perfect.

In at the panel shop as we speak having the bumper finished in 49b and having the bonnet refinished - nearly time from some real photos.

Parts now sitting in the garage ready to build the exhaust - properly! Just need to find the time to build it. Idea being 2.5" off the primary, 3" off the secondary then flexi, 100 cel metal cat and hotdog in that order. All from mild steel (except the cat and flexi obviously) with mandrel bends. I'm counting on the Syms diff-back keeping the noise down (from my experience its the rear muffler that makes the real difference to the decibels). Its really quiet right now, but if the new setup makes it start to get loud I'll have to look at putting in a bigger centre muffler.

That's all for now.

#29 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

How much did it set you back to get the approvals from Regency? I sent the paperwork off probably 18 months ago for my conversion to single, but havent heard diddly squat back. Thinking I may just send it in again.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#30 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Mate nice job! Looks sweet.

3" is way too big for the secondary. Its the same size as the primary bar different core and blade designs. 2.5" is big enough for them, anything bigger is way overkill. The exhaust turbine outlets are like the size of a 20c piece. My old GTB had 2.5" for both dumps then merged into 3", 200cell cat then straight through to the Fujitsubo muffler. Was never too loud but i prefer the sound mild steel gives off, plus its cheaper.

I reckon go for FMIC and stock bonnet. Make it super ninja.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#31 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:27 AM

For the exhaust - hot dogs seem to make things louder in my experience, and one of my mates in adelaide who has had numerous run ins with our friends in blue says so also. A centre res (rather than a hot dog) dropped mine from being to loud enough to clear the db test.

My skyline was originally 102 db, and the local police didnt really like it much, especially as a pizza delivery driver lol. The resonator dropped it to 89.5. Was just a standard mild steel 12" long 5" diameter res.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#32 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

How much did it set you back to get the approvals from Regency? I sent the paperwork off probably 18 months ago for my conversion to single, but havent heard diddly squat back. Thinking I may just send it in again.

From memory about one week after I lodge the 'application for modification' (not sure the exact name of the form sorry) I received a phone call for clarification of some minor details and then about another week later I received the letter with the 'statement of requirements' which as it suggests stated the requirements I had to take into consideration when modifying and what inspections I had to get. It was actually pretty straight forward.

As far as cost (from what I recall):

- $60 Emissions test (Profix)

- $60 ID check (Regency)

- $257 Roadworthy inspection (Regency)

From the sound of yours, you may not even need to get inspections completed, given the fact the EJ20 was most common with the single turbo setup, providing it is not going to result in a 'significant increase in power'. In fact the certificate of exemption issued for my conversion refers to the engine as 'EJ20 turbo engine' - no mention at all of TT...

If you haven't heard back I definitely either follow up or submit it again (I submitted via email and fax for good luck...) or just phone them and ask if it is even necessary to submit the application.

Hope that helps a little??

#33 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Mate nice job! Looks sweet.

3" is way too big for the secondary. Its the same size as the primary bar different core and blade designs. 2.5" is big enough for them, anything bigger is way overkill. The exhaust turbine outlets are like the size of a 20c piece. My old GTB had 2.5" for both dumps then merged into 3", 200cell cat then straight through to the Fujitsubo muffler. Was never too loud but i prefer the sound mild steel gives off, plus its cheaper.

I reckon go for FMIC and stock bonnet. Make it super ninja.

Thanks mate - interested in your input on this. Obviously not having had this setup before my reasoning for going 3" from the secondary was
- To make it more suited for if/when I get around to converting to single turbo (mainly)
- I understand the VF28 has pretty good flow capabilities, despite the tiny outlet
- I figured I probably wont lose any power by going with the 3" and it may/may not make it easier to incorporate the wastegate using a splitter
- Its been suggested before by someone who has done it (but cant for the life of me find out where...)

If you think I stand to lose power with 3" off the secondary let me know - and I'm also interested in anyone else who might have an opinion on this???

I thought it might sound odd if I said I prefer the sound of mild steel over stainless - but that's one of the reasons I've decided to go mild.

Cheers

#34 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

For the exhaust - hot dogs seem to make things louder in my experience, and one of my mates in adelaide who has had numerous run ins with our friends in blue says so also. A centre res (rather than a hot dog) dropped mine from being to loud enough to clear the db test.

My skyline was originally 102 db, and the local police didnt really like it much, especially as a pizza delivery driver lol. The resonator dropped it to 89.5. Was just a standard mild steel 12" long 5" diameter res.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I just thought hot dog/resonator was the same thing that comes in different styles - hence why I mentioned that 'if the new setup makes it start to get loud I'll have to look at putting in a bigger centre muffler'. I might be confused about the differences, I just figured they are all mufflers of some description and if the small one (hot dog) isn't good enough, I'd have to get a bigger one...

Do you think the hot dog would be louder than straight through or am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks for your input mate

#35 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

On updates - I've installed LED parkers to match the HIDs and the front end is nearly at a point where I can take some photos.

#36 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the details with regency man, a lot less cost than I was expecting. Will get onto that. Will just submit the forms again.

Exhaust, yes the hot dog will be louder than straight pipe. There are internal differences between a hot dog and a resonator, and the hot dog is significantly smaller diameter, only about an inch larger than the pipe you stick it in. Res on the other hand... You're not alone when it comes to preferring the sound of mild steel. I'm in the same boat. Stainless just doesn't sound right for some reason. More raspy and raw.

#37 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

So built the exhaust yesterday and its made a big difference to driveability and moderate difference to top end performance. Its now quite difficult to pick the changeover when the secondary comes in as its all so smooth. You can feel (and hear) the primary come on and the power slowly climbs to around 4000rpm at which point it starts climbing exponentially all in an incredibly smooth manner.

Not significantly louder than the stock centre/dumps, just deeper and more dignified (if it is possible to describe an exhaust that way). Sounds incredible when the secondary comes in too! A very unique note. Really happy with the outcome.

So smooth!!!

#38 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Needs sound clip.........

OEM+

#39 Barbbachello