• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#61 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

I actually much prefer colour coded wheels. They blend in with the two tone a lot better!! But as you say a tad wider would be nice... And Kai's...

Don't say your not itching to do your wheels in 49B again!!

#62 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

Im loving the white, but the Kai's are only temporary til the RAYS get here.

OEM+

#63 binary

binary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Nice build! That exhaust looks really tidy, I'll be looking for something similar for my build ... From what you've said it sounds like you or someone you know built the system.  My mate that I'll be doing my build with is a really good welder, but doesn't have a mandrel bending machine.

Did you just buy all the pipes, cut to fit, then weld up on or off the car?  If you took measurements of the raw stock that could be a good starting point for us :)

Also, how's the paint holding up? Is that just some simple high temp spray paint?

2018 Holden ZB Calais

Past rides:
2003 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5 5MT | K-Sport | Whiteline | Cusco
2009 Audi A4 B8 2.0TQ 6MT
2015 BMW X5 xdrive40d
2004 Subaru Liberty GT Auto wagon

#64 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

Yes, me and a mate welded up the exhaust in a day. Used about 1.5m of 3 inch straight pipe, 30cm of 2.5 inch straight pipe, 360 degree mandrel (2.5 inch) and about 400 degree mandrel (3 inch). No measurements recorded aside from the above - just measure, cut, tack, fit, mark, remove, cut, tack, fit etc etc... till you get it spot on.

I think I used exhaust temp paint and is holding up fine. I've used engine enamel before too, but not sure how that would hold up long term.

#65 binary

binary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for that mate, really appreciate it :)  Great starting point!

...can't wait...!!

2018 Holden ZB Calais

Past rides:
2003 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5 5MT | K-Sport | Whiteline | Cusco
2009 Audi A4 B8 2.0TQ 6MT
2015 BMW X5 xdrive40d
2004 Subaru Liberty GT Auto wagon

#66 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Eculabs purchased - going out on a limb...

Pending the success of this setup over the next month or so, this should be a good option for those guys who are stuck with 'non-tunable' JECS ECUs.

Hoping to tune on E85 shortly (once multi-maps capability is finalised).

Updates to follow.

#67 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Very interesting! keen to see how you go with this.

It really is a pain to find something that tunes the earlier ECUs.

#68 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Remember the standard fuel system in subarus is not compatible with ethanol based fuels. You'll need to change a few things before you can use it.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#69 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Remember the standard fuel system in subarus is not compatible with ethanol based fuels. You'll need to change a few things before you can use it.

Yep - had the fuel pump sorted shortly after the conversion and will obviously be doing injectors before running ethanol. Will most probably upgrade flexible fuel lines too, though I did a pretty thorough inspection of them all when I did the conversion.

Considering converting to top feed injectors and parallel fuel rail mod, but still not certain of that as DW1000 side feeds would be ample for my goals. The GTB comes standard with yellow top 440cc injectors, so with some high-flowing they would also be perfectly capable.

Still not 100% decided on injectors.

#70 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

Also installed a 1kg dry powder fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell last week...

Nothing to do with converting to ethanol of course...

#71 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

Eculabs done. No VOD at all on the base tune from Emmanuel at Eculabs. Boost is about 8 psi on primary and 11.5 psi on secondary. I can't pick the changeover without looking at the boost gauge though.

#72 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hopefully have it tuned in the near future and feed it some corn too.

#73 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Had a few teething issues with Eculabs launch control, full throttle shifting and multi maps functions, but hopefully have them sorted shortly. Boost cut with the multi maps and no wastegate duty with the LC/FTS.

A few things replaced/installed:

- Old battery leaked acid, so I've stripped back and repainted the engine bay

- Tie rods and tie rod ends

- Clutch - Exedy HD

- All vacuum hoses replaced with silicone (and throttle body pipe) - BBOD replumbed entirely

- Custom braided clutch line

- All flexible fuel lines replaced with new biofuel approved hoses.

- Injectors high flowed through SNJ - these will be fine for E85 and 200+kw - I bought a ID1000 top feed conversion kit, but it didn't suit the JDM manifold

- A huge array of seals/gaskets/boots replaced while the engine/gearbox has been out

- Probably a heap of other things I've forgotten

And just a general clean-up of the engine bay vicinity...

Just need to drop the engine and gearbox back in - hopefully over the weekend. Then to get the tune sorted through Matt

Keeping it ADR compliant and all hoses etc black - aside from the filler caps, the only colour in the engine bay is the Optima Red Top.

#74 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

Pics aren't loading :P

Cool list though! :) I'm hopefully having a huge engine tidy up soon!

Posted Image

#75 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

Pics aren't loading :P

Arent working for me either, neither is the launch control video?

Would this be the first TT on e85?

tIeW8DE.png

#76 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Nice work Josh, this story is reading well. As above, missing some pics though!

Might have to organise a meet in SA if we can get more than 2 cars.

#77 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,455 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

Come to melbourne again :P

tIeW8DE.png

#78 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

or HVC...

#79 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Nice work indeed. To alleviate the new injector fitment issues, I do happen to have an MY02 B4 manifold sitting in the shed not doing anything. I can strip everything off it if you like, and bring it with me when I'm next in adelaide. Or I can just bring it down as is, with all fuel lines, fuel regulator, vac lines, coolant lines, VF32/33 inlet tract etc all still on it. Would charge you a bit more though cos it still has the B4 550cc top feed injectors in it. Thinking about $250 as is, or $100 stripped. I can probably sell the injectors, hence the price difference.

Let me know.

Ben

Sorry fellas, be good to get down for a catch up and cruise, but almost invariably these days we bring down the missus car cos its way more comfy for a long trip. And she hates the liberty :/

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#80 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Arent working for me either, neither is the launch control video?

Would this be the first TT on e85?

Launch Control Is my favourite Eculabs function - it feels and sounds incredible. I had it set a smidgen under 4k, so with the retarded timing it basically launched straight into stage 2. Lasted about 1 second, then boost cut - which felt like hitting a brick wall.

No there are a few B4's on E85 - you just wont find them on the internets no matter how hard you look. I would venture to say it is one of the first Rev A-C in E85 though - given there is only 1 other TT Rev A-C with Eculabs (which doesn't have E85). There may be some floating around with aftermarket ECUs though.

I guess these engines are starting to get a bit on the old side - so not necessarily the best base for ethanol...

Nice work Josh, this story is reading well. As above, missing some pics though!

Might have to organise a meet in SA if we can get more than 2 cars.

Thanks Tim - yeah, its been quite a while since there was a well supported meet here - I cant speak though as I've never made it to one myself though.

Come to melbourne again :P

I might need to come to Melbourne to get a tune from Matt, as his Adelaide visit seems to keep being delayed. I know you were talking to Tim, but thought I'd add that anyway  ;)

or HVC...

Would love to get to one of these!  :D

I do happen to have an MY02 B4 manifold sitting in the shed not doing anything.

Thanks Ben - there are some major differences between the ADM/JDM manifolds let alone side feed/top feed setups (throttle bodies/risers/coolant lines etc). I could have made it work with a bit of fiddling, but I decided to stick with the yellow side feeds. They are a good injector and are now flowing a tad under 800cc @ 40 psi (still retaining the original 4 hole spray pattern), which should be more than enough for my modest goals.

If you know anyone after a cheap set of (brand new) ID1000's, let me know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users