• Interests:Scuba Diving
    Downhill MTB riding
    Bicycles
    Photography
    Cars
    Aquariums
    Anything to do with the Ocean eg. old Maritime history

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

A lot of knowledge to be found in this thread =)

Good stuff.

Old Chinese Proverb: Experience should fear the strength of Youth

eVp photography

Gen 3 build thread

#42 dja

dja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Tits

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:48 PM

For a budget build, Kando turbo's are still pretty good, the parts your talking about are twice the price of the cheaper products.

And your not getting twice the advantage from them.

All the mods can be done on a budget with similar results, do you sell blouch and pw coolers?

My car has 200atw, the fmic did not make it less responsive, mathematically there is 200ms of lag, but its not noticeable, and it now has a better torque curve, all the fmic's i have put on cars have made them punch harder, this isnt opinions its just real world experiece on my cars.

I agree with you on the bigger injectors from the get go definately though.

#43 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Just to make it clear, I live just around the corner from Matt from KIDO so it is not an internet tune at all. He plugs his laptop into my ecu and either road tunes it or dyno tunes it. I will be getting him to Dyno tune it after these mods are done. 

In the meantime until I do get the Kinugawa TD05 18g 7cm and some bigger injectors, I have found that my current dump pipe and cat have minor air leaks in them and will need to be replaced asap. If I was to get a custom 3" Stainless exhaust (its after the 02 sensors) would I still be ok to make boost or would I have to run wastegate pretture until the tune? 

No wonder my car is feeling powerless at the moment. 

Cheers for the replies everyone. 

[03.SUBY]

#44 T-REXX

T-REXX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Matt, as in throttle happy?

If that is the case fair enough...

But i do know KIDO tunes are done also ia Emails... if he does in the car so be it.. but i still stand by the Internet Tunes are asking for trouble

Just to make it clear, I live just around the corner from Matt from KIDO so it is not an internet tune at all. He plugs his laptop into my ecu and either road tunes it or dyno tunes it. I will be getting him to Dyno tune it after these mods are done. 

In the meantime until I do get the Kinugawa TD05 18g 7cm and some bigger injectors, I have found that my current dump pipe and cat have minor air leaks in them and will need to be replaced asap. If I was to get a custom 3" Stainless exhaust (its after the 02 sensors) would I still be ok to make boost or would I have to run wastegate pretture until the tune? 

No wonder my car is feeling powerless at the moment. 

Cheers for the replies everyone. 

#45 T-REXX

T-REXX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

I do sell Blouch and do sell PW, But that has nothing to do with me suggesting them.. that is why i said him getting a TMIC or FMIC atm for his stock internals is pointless.

i know they may be twice the price but i think also the way the car drives has a big bearing on what parts you get.

the Kando etc turbos are a VERY GOOD RELIABLE turbo, strong and cant beat them for value for money.

Out of curisoity what does your 20G hit full boost by?

Troy

For a budget build, Kando turbo's are still pretty good, the parts your talking about are twice the price of the cheaper products.

And your not getting twice the advantage from them.

All the mods can be done on a budget with similar results, do you sell blouch and pw coolers?

My car has 200atw, the fmic did not make it less responsive, mathematically there is 200ms of lag, but its not noticeable, and it now has a better torque curve, all the fmic's i have put on cars have made them punch harder, this isnt opinions its just real world experiece on my cars.

I agree with you on the bigger injectors from the get go definately though.

#46 dja

dja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Tits

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

I dont have the 20g on at the moment, i need to buy injectors, and a pay for a tune.

When i did, full boost was around the 3-3200 mark, and alot of the gen4 2.5 owners get the same results.

I personally stick with them as you said value for money is great, and for the few extra % of earlier boost its not worth the money for other brands to me.

Off boost driveability is awesome on the 2.5's, have used the big brand roller bearing turbo's and i cant (personally) justify something that seems to make a negligible difference.

#47 T-REXX

T-REXX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Cool, What Torque it making?

any dyno Graphs?

#48 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

Didn't Matt pop your EJ205 Sam? :P

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#49 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

Nah, there was a leak in the air intake which led to the engine pinging and resulting in cracked pistons/ring lands.
It was a dodgey install, and a flexible hose which wasn't installed correctly. The tune was pretty much spot on.
[03.SUBY]

#50 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread Sam but I thought it would be better to have more info in the one section.

What are peoples thoughts on upgrading to a VF29 on a EJ205?

I already have exhaust, intake and STI intercooler.

I would also be adding STI pink injectors and a Walbro.

Cheers

#51 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

VF29 will work nicely.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#52 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Looks like that is the way to go then :)

What sort of power are they usually good for?

#53 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I can see you getting around 180+ or so depending on who tunes it and how safe you want to be.

Plenty of powah!

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#54 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

AVO400 - ( GT2871 ) 

MY02 LIBERTY B4 - LAST DYNO'D @ 375.4KW-ATW    403.5KW-ATW

Next Dyno will be 400+ :)

#55 Murf B4

Murf B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

I dont have the 20g on at the moment, i need to buy injectors, and a pay for a tune.

When i did, full boost was around the 3-3200 mark, and alot of the gen4 2.5 owners get the same results.

I personally stick with them as you said value for money is great, and for the few extra % of earlier boost its not worth the money for other brands to me.

Off boost driveability is awesome on the 2.5's, have used the big brand roller bearing turbo's and i cant (personally) justify something that seems to make a negligible difference.

Dans on the money i've ran a Vf 22,23,34 td0518 ect ect nothing gets close to a nice garrett roller bearing turbo on spool up , end of the day you get what you pay for.

MY02 LIBERTY B4 - LAST DYNO'D @ 375.4KW-ATW    403.5KW-ATW

Next Dyno will be 400+ :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users