27 replies to this topic

#1 t00ze

t00ze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hey Guys,

Looking to buy my first Subaru and I'm looking at either a Gen1 RX Impreza or Gen2 2.5RS Impreza (Blob Eye.) I am on P plates so no WRX's unfortunately :(

I like the look of the late model RX's but there not as quick as the 2.5RS? EJ20 Vs EJ25, not too sure about weight differences.

With either one I'd like to create the STi look (Huge Wing and bonnet scoop ect)

I'd also like to occasionally do a bit of AutoX or Rally but I'd be too scared to do that with a Gen2 purely because they're a newer and more expensive car.

Just after some opinions and experiences. 

Thanks Guys

a59a18cf-5dbd-4dec-b299-9a60eba47ff1_zps

1997 Honda Integra - SOLD

New Subaru Coming Soon!

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Subaru's are made to rally!

Don't know what your budget is but bugeye RS Impreza's are dirt cheap these days. Can pick them up for well under $10k.

I'd generally stick to getting the newest model your money will stretch to. However, I'm a sucker for creature comforts.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:15 PM

Personally, but mostly because of the weight and your interest in motorsport, I'd suggest the lower weight older impreza's are for you :)

#4 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:38 PM

My 2002 RS was fun on the track stock.

Alloy control arms, quick steering rack, better gearbox, and stiffer body.

And cause their newer it can take more abuse :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#5 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Subaru's are made to rally!

Don't know what your budget is but bugeye RS Impreza's are dirt cheap these days. Can pick them up for well under $10k.

I'd generally stick to getting the newest model your money will stretch to. However, I'm a sucker for creature comforts.

Can get a hawk eye 2.0R for less than $10k too.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#6 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

This is true!

Buy Luke's car,OP!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#7 t00ze

t00ze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

Let's say I go with the older RX (Manual) Whats the best route to get a bit more kick out of a n/a EJ20? Enough to keep up with the EJ25 Subys? Sorry if I sound like a hoon but performance is a major aspect on my choice.

I've also considered swapping in a EJ25 from a liberty into a Gc8 chassis but I'm unsure of the laws surrounding that considering I am a P Plater -.-

New Subaru Coming Soon!

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Let's say I go with the older RX (Manual) Whats the best route to get a bit more kick out of a n/a EJ20? Enough to keep up with the EJ25 Subys? Sorry if I sound like a hoon but performance is a major aspect on my choice.

I've also considered swapping in a EJ25 from a liberty into a Gc8 chassis but I'm unsure of the laws surrounding that considering I am a P Plater -.-

There is no best route to get more power from an NA without massive money so dont bother. EJ25 swap would be illegal as well. Plus liberty 25's like to blow head gaskets 

tIeW8DE.png

#9 peteRS

peteRS

Needs more cylinders...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Don't waste big $ on any non turbo engine swap. you'll regret it. It's much more costly and involved than you'd imagine...for very minimal gain.

A few basic intake and exhaust mods will net a few extra hp, but forget about chasing power RIGHT NOW!

If you spend your money on Handling and braking upgrades, you'll notice pretty much every dollar. 

Quality tyres are the very first port of call.

#10 Ads

Ads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

+7 :D

A few basic intake and exhaust mods will net a few extra hp, but forget about chasing power RIGHT NOW!

If you spend your money on Handling and braking upgrades, you'll notice pretty much every dollar. 

Quality tyres are the very first port of call.

#11 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

With either one I'd like to create the STi look (Huge Wing and bonnet scoop ect)

Please dont. Those things dont belong on a n/a Subaru.

Get the gen 2. Much better car.

#12 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

you could swap all the running gear over, but by the time you do that you'll have spent as much as what it would cost to just buy the 2.5.

you'll find alot more wear on bushes etc in the older impreza, isnt really a problem if you wanna go whiteline on the thing, but theirs another cost there. 

200kg difference between the 2 cars, but there is a bit of weight you can remove from the newer RS. 

in a grand turismo world the gc8 would be awesome and upgrade to a turbo driveline in the future. but it'll be alot of work and money.

#13 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

Just enjoy the car as it is. Work on the handling, audio, exhaust, etc and have some fun.

When you're able to drive a turbo, sell and buy a turbo.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#14 Jberg89

Jberg89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Surfing

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:18 PM

Can get a hawk eye 2.0R for less than $10k too.

Buy this car...don't know why it has not been sold yet

1zvaasj.jpg6xu6h5.jpg2jg734g.jpg

#15 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Gen2 is a bloody good car.
But as Pete says for motorsport use go the preza.
Going The 2.5 will Bump you up a class of 2.0 to 3.0l cars.. Actually even being awd I think bumps you up too.
I think staying with the 2l technicslly 1998cc or something puts you at the top of the lower Category

Also.. Stop ratting on the 2.5l dohc head gaskets..
Is 2 days work and $500 bucks to fix. A mate just bought 2 outbacks with blown hgs last week. One is already running and the other just had the engine pulled.. Ready to rebuild.

Mine ran 260k 100k after the rebuild and it was fine never used oil and now that the engine is in someone's outback too lol.
And I have videos of me giving ita Damn flogging up in the mountains on the logging tracks.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#16 t00ze

t00ze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:34 PM

I think I'm going to stretch my budget and hunt down a 2.5RS (Blobeye). I'm a fan of the flared arches and also the car itself will be 'newer.'

I'm not exactly looking to be taking on any V8's or turbo's just purely a nice daily driver, enough power to keep up with the usual p plater commodores, and then hit the mud a few times and a have a bit of fun. I used to own a DC2 Integra but now made the transition to Suby's to have a bit of fun with, AWD and that boxer rumble :)

I hope to start a build thread once I get one mostly aiming on creating a streetable autox/rally/track car on a student budget, should be interesting haha :)

Thanks again guys, appreciate the advice.

New Subaru Coming Soon!

#17 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

i think OP is referring to the oldschool pretzels as gen1s and the next update the bug eye as gen2?

+1 on the headgasket, similar issues happen with the ej25sohc but its even easier to fix :)

#18 t00ze

t00ze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

i think OP is referring to the oldschool pretzels as gen1s and the next update the bug eye as gen2?

+1 on the headgasket, similar issues happen with the ej25sohc but its even easier to fix :)

yeah sorry if I'm throwing you guys off I'm still yet to learn the terms for different generations. Am I right in saying the GC8's, GF8's as gen1 and then the bugeye/blobeye and hawkeye faclifts as gen2's?

New Subaru Coming Soon!

#19 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

gen1 gen2 gen3 gen4 gen5 etc has typically been a liberty thing, for imprezas probably use the GC8/GDA etc, doesnt bother me though....

#20 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

and skip the the 4min mark, thats a stock bugeye RS with slick tyres that were forked, it had driven 350km in the morning, did double sessions on track all day, and i drove it 350km home that night and to work the next day.

its not really fast but with some suspension mods and a better drivers it would be doing quicker laptimes :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: first, subaru, help, impreza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users