Photo

Thinking of fitting a a varex on a 3 inch ..

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I know you have one now, but I've also been told not to run rediculous boost and full throttle with the valve closed. Can anyone shed some light on the truth of this? Does the closed valve inhibit flow massively?

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#42 vicelore

vicelore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Subbies, Dubs, Boost, Beer , Wine , My Two Awesome Girls

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

I dont plan on reving the car over 3k.. I will have it fully open 98% of the time.. 

Ill just close it when backing up the drive and warming the car up in the morning .. 

Oh and thru RBT`s etc.

But yes iv been reading about its effects all day.. I even saw a dyno print out of a guy comparing open and closed on full boost.. Looked to drop 20-30 kw.. 

It would be nice to semi close it on the freeway tho.. 

Interested in that ??

#43 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

Yup you can have it half open.

I only have a 3.0L but I haven't noticed any difference between open and closed. If anything I feel maybe it has a bit more poke with it closed, but it could just be my imagination.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#44 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

You don't want to close it or even half close it while loading up the engine.

High EGT's galore, Things will melt in a boosted car.

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#45 jakefake

jakefake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

Varex VMk6-300 not that loud. 

#46 BMX013

BMX013

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

i have a 3" tbe with high flow cat and use to be straight out to a cannon, it was way too loud like this, even the cannon silencer wouldnt help, i fitted a 3" resonator and a 2.5" varex muffler.

i give it a boot with it closed, its fine, people forget how restrictive the stock exhaust is.
my setup is great, not too loud, it doesnt drone at all and like u i only close it when coming into the driveway, i leave it open around cops, they will hear you coming and if the car suddenly goes quiet it will draw attention, if its just a normal suby thats not too loud they just ignore it.

one thing i did, was fork off that stupid remote and control box.

get a double pole double throw carling rocker switch and chuck into a spare switch spot on the dash or (i did mine in space behind gear shift)

do power in to the middle terminals and outputs double up in a cross over function like so.

Motor being A / B for wires

A | B
+ | -

B | A

this allows great discreet control without fumbling with a pos remote. also means u dont need that shittly relay/wireless box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users