build

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 JBmason

JBmason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Car related things, interested in learning from people with experience and hopefully getting some ideas for modifications :)

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

So when I bought the wheels they were apparently at "75%" tread

the ones he had on the rear need to be changed and front ones are ok but might was well change it all at once

does anyone have any preferences or tips about tryes

OEM-equipped tire size: 235/45R17

Attached Files

#22 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

People usually suggest KU31's i think

tIeW8DE.png

#23 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Do you try and do crazy corners and drifts? No, then don't pay more than you need to. People may laugh but we tend to test out the cheaper tyres and they do their job just as good as the expensive brands (family tyre shop). Achilles, Kenda, Bluestreak (old Goodyear-Dunlop pattern), Marshall (old Kumho pattern), Nexen.

This will of course cause people to disagree with me.

#24 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

I just put a full set of Achilles ATR Sport on my Forester. It was about 130 per tyre in the 215/55/17 size.

No complains and the ride is good. Good for a cheap tyre. :)

#25 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

This will of course cause people to disagree with me.

Yep.

Your tyres are the only thing holding your car to the road, why cheap out on them? You may not intend to corner fast but when you have to swerve between a kangaroo that jumps out at you or the crazy old lady who pulls out in front of you in heavy rain I'd much rather have something I can trust.

#26 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

That's a little dramatised in my opinion, would you have used Kumho or Goodyear tyres 5 years ago but say no to Bluestreaks or Marshall now because you haven't heard of the name?

#27 Jberg89

Jberg89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Surfing

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yep.

Your tyres are the only thing holding your car to the road, why cheap out on them? You may not intend to corner fast but when you have to swerve between a kangaroo that jumps out at you or the crazy old lady who pulls out in front of you in heavy rain I'd much rather have something I can trust.

I must say, I also agree with you here. In my opinion, DON'T skimp on tyres. There is a tyre thread on here from memory that gives great advice on tyres. Have a read through it and make an informed decision. Although, having said that, I don't think you need to spend massive amounts....But you should know that when an unavoidable situation arises you want something that will help you gain control. Other guys on here will have more knowledge on tyre brands etc. Good Luck mate

1zvaasj.jpg6xu6h5.jpg2jg734g.jpg

#28 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

That's a little dramatised in my opinion, would you have used Kumho or Goodyear tyres 5 years ago but say no to Bluestreaks or Marshall now because you haven't heard of the name?

Don't know about you but I'd rather someone's strong opinion change my mind than have to find out the consequences of cheap tyres the hard way.

Many years ago I bought two new front tyres for my wife's Excel. I didn't know much about tyres back then and I just wanted the cheapest Bob Jane had. The excercise cost me $70 all up.

Nowadays, I wouldn't want my worst enemy driving a car with $70 worth of rubber on the front wheels of a FWD car, letalone my wife.

Do it once, do it right. It doesn't have to be crazy expensive, just not stupidly cheap. You get what you pay for. For an NA Impreza, I'd budget for $120-150 per corner minimum.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#29 nickknack

nickknack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

I didn't have a license or any knowledge of cars 5 years ago so that's irrelevant. But if they were worth using, they would no doubt come recommended by the community. I have still never bought a Kumho or a Goodyear FYI. Only RE050s, Dunlop Sportmaxx, and Federal RS-Rs in case you were wondering.

#30 JBmason

JBmason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Car related things, interested in learning from people with experience and hopefully getting some ideas for modifications :)

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

After a little looking iv'e found yokohama tyres brand new for $146 that look decent and will fit nicley

http://www.ebay.com....=item4173b273da

Probably wont be buying until I have the funds..

Going to be a while before I can do anything major

have also ordered my red vinyl for my rear lights :D

http://www.ebay.com....=item2324474400

pretty damn keen to put it on haha

#31 Beejay667

Beejay667

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

I don't want to keep the hijacking going and I'm certainly not trying to cause shit but basing it off price isn't the best gauge of performance, I see the cost prices (with decent loyalty discounts) for a lot of tyres and a lot of the 'premium' brands are cheap to buy but allow massive mark up because of their brand.

Nankang have just released their own semis, I wouldn't mind testing them out.

Btw, I don't mean All-Rounders, Clear, Antyre, retread cheap, I mean try RIO instead of Bonds kinda thing.....

To the tyre thread....

#32 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

I still prefer Bonds. They're much more comfortable. :P

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#33 Hex9

Hex9

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Looking really good! Keen to see how the vinyl goes

#34 PoweredX

PoweredX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

That is one nice Liberty you have in the background of some of those photos :P 

#35 JBmason

JBmason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

Update time...

So the vinyl for the rear lights arrived a while ago, and installed them soon after

It took a few hours, and I didnt get exactly what I wanted out of it. A few bubbles behind the vinyl

It doesnt bother me too much and I still need to trim them. But from a distance it still looks great over stock. Eventually ill end up buying something like this:

http://www.ebay.com....=item1e7dc486da

I don't think ill want to see the stock lights any time soon :lol:

My rear wing sort of thing... was very faded and looked pretty horrid, So that was something I decided to cover in plastidip: It looks a bit better so ill leave it for now until it starts comming off and then ill probably spray with spray paint. 

Next up.. Iv'e liked the grills on the rs, so I tried making a home made grill from my own. It ended taking longer than I thought but the result has been worth it. It's not 100% finished yet, need to buy some bog and fill the holes around the bottom and give it a nicer look and spray the whole grill black again.

and now im on the exhaust.. Iv'e desperately missed the sound of my old car and needed to do something about it. So I managed to do what ive done so far, fairly cheaply. So I got my hands on 2.5" stainless steel pipe with some 90 degree bends seperate. Decided to replace the muffler becuase I had kept the one from my old suby. We cut the pipe to length and set everything up ready to weld. It was another thing I had under estimated in time consuming -___- 

I knew the muffler stock was a biggy but having it out and comparing it..to the one being installed...was still something to be laughed at

After a solid day work......

It was ready to be started up

I was not expecting at ALL to hear almost the same sound as the complete stock setup..

was not nice...I'm not exatcly happy with it.. I still have extractors to install so im hoping they will make the sound im looking for.

But still I would have thought taking off such a massive muffler and putting the new small one in with bigger pipe it would have made a difference...

but anyway, had another look under the car and found this unusually shaped thing, possibly an odly shaped muffler?

possibly the culpret..

Unsure what it is, but might be another sound detoning something :blink: . So ill install the extractors and if its still no good I have an idea what might be the problem

So thats it for now..

Next step will be time for new tyres,

and after that will be suspension (hopfully)

Attached Files

#36 bobbyjimmy

bobbyjimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:03 AM

It's a resonator in the 2nd picture.

2002 Outback - it's gone...

#37 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yep - Delete the resonator and it will get noticably louder...

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users