293 replies to this topic

#141 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have seen HKS tuned headers for the B4 TT setup that does run better and avoid heatbuildup. I gave that the skip since I did a full rebuild and was cheaper to buy a single that rebuild turbos and but the new headers and then fix my cracked dump pipes etc etc. The fact of the matter is $$$$$ as I said before. You will need to spend a bit of money on the parts to go in and make the system smooth. Then alot more $$$$ with a tuner with dyno corrections to the tune.

Myself I have the $$$$ to dump on it. Unfortunately I don't have a tuner near me that I know and trust enough to be able to go the extra mile with the TT tune.

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

#142 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Well i plumbed the bov back no difference and did the ecv bypass an still the problem hasnt gone so next ill hav to find the bcv and replace that if i can find one

#143 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

yo moomba the bcv is behind your passenger side light. Take the light off along with the battery to access it.

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#144 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

Yea but i dont hav a replacment but i did just give it a sqirt around the block an theres deffinitly sumtin wrong now it comes on boost an then overboosts then theres a massive spooling or maybe air escaping sound but no boost power then the change over it makes a loud humming noise boost backs off to 5psi an doesnt move unless i release the pedal bov goes off 4x louder than it was an then it starts all over again...i reckon its either a leak sumwhere once under presure or my ecv is shit it self.....:-(

#145 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

trace the metal vaccum lines. There are two lines one goes into your air filter and the other goes into the wastegate control soleniod valve the one behind the passenger light. Make sure they are plugged in right. It sounds like you got them backwards. Overboost is what happens when you get it backwards.

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#146 WillC

WillC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

oh wait. If you haven't touched the wastegate control solenoid valve yet then yeah You have problems somewhere. Check if its coming from the BOV, if you touched things in that area.

Toy's Garry

Fairfield East NSW 2161

#147 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

I did some research, all lines are accounted for in your solenoid box. They must have done another revision to it, as diagrams for a B4 show only 2 hoses in the lower hose group. Ignore that. I should have taken it for a spin so i could see what your talking about. Something is definitely not right somewhere.

Has the engine ever been taken out before or a mechanic messed with it anywhere?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#148 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Not to my knowledge well i live in parramatta if an one is close u can come check it out properly lol

#149 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

Ok so i decided to put everything back to normal now theres no loud vaccum leak sound and running normal im now back.to the origanal problem but after reading a shit load about the change over i think its either..
ECV
ECM
Or sumthing else as wen the change over happins the boost stalls an drops back and makes a humming noise and its not until i take my foot off thwn back on is wen it goes away an boosts normal or that my ecv wastegate needs to be corrected...

But i do rekon its now got sumthing to do with the change over area as it didnt like the bypass...

#150 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have to ask sorry, did you adjust the ECV after you did the bypass mod?

#151 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

No....???

#152 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

I think you better go back and read all of page 3 again.

#153 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Yea but does the ecv need to be changed? And i cant understand how to unbolt the rod from the wastegate let alone get my hands down there to fit to do it ...

#154 Dav_fre

Dav_fre

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I did this the other day.

Found it easier to remove tmic first.

It's a good chance to clean it out with contact cleaner or petrol too (gets a nice amount of blow-by over time).

Then it's easy to access the rod.

You not actually unbolting it, just turning it as below.

Just undo the nuts and turn the flat part of the rod to lengthen till rattle, then 2 turns back and re-tighten nuts as on page 3.

#155 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Ok but do u only do this if u hav the bypass done or can i do it if its normal and is it clock wise or anti to lengthen the rod

#156 Mbooma

Mbooma

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

An.if u removed the topmount how did u hav the car running to get the rattle as i thought it wouldnt run with out all the crap connected...

#157 Dav_fre

Dav_fre

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

The removal is so you can get a good picture of what's going on and undo the nuts.

I had put the tmic back and cleaned by then.

With the nuts loosened and a clearer picture of the underside in your head it was much simpler to lengthen and retighten

#158 Dav_fre

Dav_fre

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

The removal is so you can get a good picture of what's going on and undo the nuts.

With the nuts loosened and a clearer picture of the underside in your head it was much simpler to lengthen and retighten

#159 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

Understood, but unnecessary IMO & it will be a shit fight for a noob like Moob to put it back on.

Yea but does the ecv need to be changed? And i cant understand how to unbolt the rod from the wastegate let alone get my hands down there to fit to do it ...

Well, yes it does man!

Rob clearly stated that in his post so in effect you have only done half of the mod and now you are second guessing if it is actually necessary!

There are 2 lock nuts on either side of the adjustable rod you need to undo. The lower one is reverse thread. Once they are loosened you can adjust the rod. Clockwise will loosen the rod/valve. Access to it isn't that bad man!

I know this is all new to you, you're learning as you go and there is so much to take in .......but Jesus Christ I find it frustrating that you would dive in headfirst and attempt the ECG mod when you haven't even read the procedure properly.  Nor do you even know if it has anything to do with your actual problems.

If I were you I'd quit trying to modify the EGC system and go back to finding the initial problem by using the checklist Rob gave you in the first few pages of this thread. Get the Vac line diagram, which is also in this thread, and remove, clean and inspect every vac line one by one and make sure they are actually connected to the correct component.

You mentioned earlier the DPS wasn't connected when you bought the car so I reckon the chance of other incorrect plumbing is pretty high. 

DO YOU HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON?

DO YOU HAVE ANY CODES?

I find it hard to believe there are no codes if you car is obviously not running properly.

#160 Tim.

Tim.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Joshkong, the ecv rod adjustment is unrelated to the 'Rob's ecv positive side pressure solenoid bypass mod' to my understanding. It is just an adjustment that can be done to ensure the changeover has the best chance to operate smoothly and quickly.

Moob, my advice would be to not make any mods to a TT system that isn't working in the first place. You'll only be making the troubleshooting 10x harder for yourself. The choice is ultimately yours though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users