• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#21 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

You could've bought SL33PR, what did he want for it? Like $17,000 :P That was another AM Auto Convo.

But seriously, $20 is a fair chunk, takes a lot of time to work out how to spend it, a MY04 onwards WRX/WRX STi is a worthy choice, incidently there's a certain MY04 WRX STi for sale in Perth, possibly free transport if you're interested, $40k or less.... :D QLD car, always serviced in Bris, only been in WA for 6months....

Why not go for a B4, know you might have your reasons, but it's really just an RX with a pair of turbos and ugly interior, and cheaper than $20k these days. Either way, I hope you find your solution soon.

Nick

yeah. but what about all my lovely suspension mods!!!!! what a waste :(
b4 has the ugliest mofo interior in the world... uhhhh.. silver plastic crap with blue leather.. yuck. sorry frank hehe. i think the fake wood looks better :)
sl33per? gen 2.. been there done that.. not a fan of them. sure 980XXRS is nice..(hi jarrod) but not keen on travelling back in time for chasis/interior. plus, jarrod would think im copying him haha.

Im going to have to send a couple more emails your way al, to really get down to the nitty gritty of things. get your opinions on best path etc etc etc.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#22 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

needs moar cylinders... ;)

2mmwi1w.jpg

#23 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

needs moar cylinders...

;)

Shuddup Paul....oh what? Another pro 6/8cyl fan......*shakes head*......

For those interested,
Cosworth Short ; http://www.cosworth....p?productid=490

Cosworth Heads (Big Valve) ; http://www.cosworth....p?productid=479

Cosworth (minus some nice extras) ; http://www.cosworth....p?productid=469

Nick

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#24 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:45 AM

You will not get an EJ25 STi half cut. They are only in JDM Foresters and are rare. They are also only a few years old so won't be turning up here anytime soon. You would have to put a new short under a V7 half cut and that would cost you your whole budget before you even put it near the car if you put decent pistons in the EJ25. I think that V5/6 RA is a good choice if you want something special. It would fit your original budget with change to spare for a PFC or haltech plugin(the AFM and tune *can* be a problem in them). You'll get EJ207, VF28, DCCD 8 bolt 5MT, R180 plated rear diff and large axles, 4 spots and possibly 2 spot rears and a red manifold(important). If you are not planning on drag racing or launching, the 5MT will not break. They are a good box.

#25 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:51 AM

You will not get an EJ25 STi half cut. They are only in JDM Foresters and are rare. They are also only a few years old so won't be turning up here anytime soon. You would have to put a new short under a V7 half cut and that would cost you your whole budget before you even put it near the car if you put decent pistons in the EJ25.

I think that V5/6 RA is a good choice if you want something special. It would fit your original budget with change to spare for a PFC or haltech plugin(the AFM and tune *can* be a problem in them). You'll get EJ207, VF28, DCCD 8 bolt 5MT, R180 plated rear diff and large axles, 4 spots and possibly 2 spot rears and a red manifold(important).

If you are not planning on drag racing or launching, the 5MT will not break. They are a good box.

ahhhh. well there goes that idea. Would a fmic still be within budget for this?

Im not planning on drag racing. Some more track work at morgan/qld raceway yes.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#26 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Yep, V5/6 will allow for everything to be done. FMIC, exhaust, engine service, pump etc.

#27 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

what about sleeving/dowling/close-decking the block on your current engine... then swapping the heads over for turbo heads... then you still have a 2.5... but you also get tarbo!

2mmwi1w.jpg

#28 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

Because it costs a trillion dollars....
TSM

#29 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:23 AM

Because it costs a trillion dollars....

i've heard that getting a block close decked only cost about $700

though the intarwebz does lie...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#30 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

Tristan although it seems easy on paper, and the individual components are not THAAAT expensive, when you add everything together, particularly with sourcing a gearbox, decent brakes, ECU (nice and pricey as you know) and tuning etc, it'll add up very quickly. It'll also become a drawn out, fairly annoying process compared to a conversion.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#31 Naif

Naif

Moderator Fanboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:11 PM

Tristan although it seems easy on paper, and the individual components are not THAAAT expensive, when you add everything together, particularly with sourcing a gearbox, decent brakes, ECU (nice and pricey as you know) and tuning etc, it'll add up very quickly.
It'll also become a drawn out, fairly annoying process compared to a conversion.

difference here being rhys allready has a fully programable map based ecu.

#32 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

Tristan although it seems easy on paper, and the individual components are not THAAAT expensive, when you add everything together, particularly with sourcing a gearbox, decent brakes, ECU (nice and pricey as you know) and tuning etc, it'll add up very quickly.
It'll also become a drawn out, fairly annoying process compared to a conversion.

true, but he'll end up with an engine that is 2.5 like he wants, runs exactly how he wants it to, responds when he wants, is tuned how he wants and will have his ideal turbo straight out of the box, rather than starting with a smaller one then upgrading... because at the end of the day, even if he started with a turbo motor, he's going to change a lot of parts if he wants to make more power; turbo, injectors, heads, extractors... i'm sure the list goes on... so what difference does it make if he adds these to a built up NA motor (close decked or sleeved and doweled) or a motor that's already got a turbo??

and truth be told, Rhys could use his RX 5 speed for a while, it should easily stand up to at least a few months worth of punishment i'm sure... Al told me it was as tough as any gen2 turbo box...

and, sure, while sourcing an ECU is expensive, it gives you so many more options as far as performance now and in the future is concerned...

having said all that, i'm most probably incorrect and someone is bound to flame me for saying all that... cos, well, what do i know??

it's just my 2c, that's all...

difference here being rhys allready has a fully programable map based ecu.

orly?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#33 Naif

Naif

Moderator Fanboi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:35 AM

orly?

have a read

http://www.subyclub....hp?showtopic=61

#34 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

I don't think G3 EJ25's are actually OBD2. OBD2 plug does not equal OBD2 in subarus. They all have the connector after 98 but some still use the old system. In any case you would be foolish to try and use an NA ecu to run a turbo engine, programmable or not. I have seen the carnage from such attempts with supercharging.

#35 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

I don't think G3 EJ25's are actually OBD2. OBD2 plug does not equal OBD2 in subarus. They all have the connector after 98 but some still use the old system.

In any case you would be foolish to try and use an NA ecu to run a turbo engine, programmable or not. I have seen the carnage from such attempts with supercharging.

Yeah I was thinking, just because it's possible doesn't make it an awesome idea...

Tristan you're 100% right dude, at the end of the day it probably would be a much more enjoyable motor, but I guess it's up to Rhys as to whether he wants his conversion to take a week (or less), or several months.
Another option is to do the conversion using an STi cut, and then having his EJ25 built up, and bolting the existing heads and ancillaries on to it. I would think the STi heads would flow enough for a moderate 2.5L build. I guess if he were chasing huge amounts of power then changing the heads, or porting etc would be worthwhile, but if he's getting that serious then drivability will start to drop, which Rhys indicated isn't what he wanted.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#36 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:55 PM

I don't think G3 EJ25's are actually OBD2. OBD2 plug does not equal OBD2 in subarus. They all have the connector after 98 but some still use the old system.

In any case you would be foolish to try and use an NA ecu to run a turbo engine, programmable or not. I have seen the carnage from such attempts with supercharging.

oRLY? I hadn't heard that about AUDM RX's.. Interesting.

I know Shane's B4 RSK is JECS but didn't know any AUDM ones were on the old obd 1 JECS ECU.

#37 jzk25

jzk25

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:00 AM

There is both OBD2 and OBD1 versions of the EJ25 G3 ecu, australian cars seem to be obd1. When rewiring them for turbo conversions I have found the early cars are definitely OBD1, can't recall doing an 01 on version but I think they are still OBD1 also. We had the hanatech scanner on a bugeye NA this week and it was not obd2 either(sameengine/ecu as G3 EJ20/25). Quick checl is if you can get flash codes out of the ecu. No flash codes = obd2. Turbo ecu's after V5 do use single wire communication but are still not necessarily OBD2 protocol(in the JDM versions that I see/chop up anyway)

#38 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:Lee

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

OBDII started on late 01 subaru cars.... even the NA models I thought

Just Married

#39 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:27 PM

drivability is a biggie. this car will be a daily to work and back. More interested in buying a halfcut compared to building my present engine, cost seems to skyrocket very quickly. also want all the little bits that come on the halfcut. i.e brakes/new steering wheel/seats... that is like 2 grand? maybe more (depending on brakes) worth of stuff i would of paid for later down the track. plus its always cheaper to buy it all together then seperately.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#40 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

Won't get any seats with a halfcut dude!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users