←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Conversion Time.....

Soop's Photo Soop 03 Mar 2009

becuz zomg, gearzzz meenz powahz!...

Blaeven's Photo Blaeven 03 Mar 2009

becuz zomg, gearzzz meenz powahz!...

correct me if i'm wrong... but power loss to the wheels is greater through an auto is it not...?

DukeNik'em's Photo DukeNik'em 03 Mar 2009

correct me if i'm wrong... but power loss to the wheels is greater through an auto is it not...?

Tiptronic.

Quicker gear changes.

New STi Liberty's come with the 5speed Tiptronic, with finger tip gear changing.

Check Shane's RSK.

They're about equally matched in the GEN III Tiptronic Vs Manual. Not comparable, but one has bonuses the other doesn't and vice versa.

Nick

Reeeaallllly depends on the gearbox. General rule of thumb is yes. But not really enough to be noticable. Most people complain about the long gear ratio's, which they attribute to *less powahz y0*. The old auto's (I'm talking 40yrs ago) where hugely inefficent. Modern gearboxes (Anything this side of 1990) are pretty good in terms of efficiency. Using an SS Commodore as an example (Because I read about it not long ago obviously ;) ) A standard manual 5.7 SS generally puts down around 180-190kw@rw. The automatic variant can see around 175-185kw@rw, but due to the taller gear ratio's in the auto, it can actually reach a slighly higher top speed. Tiptronics are electronic auto's, but instead of the computer changing it allows you to do it. Double clutch gearboxes are even better again. More efficient than a conventional manual. Shift faster, but allow the driver almost 100% control over the geabox... Thats as I understand it anyway.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 03 Mar 2009

very smart move on the b4 you've just saved yourself thousands. however i'd set a realistic price for your rx, i doubt you will get $15k for it. the longer you hold on to it the more it will devalue. best to get rid of it quick to start paying off the new car!

He'd get near 10 for it as a trade in. Its quick and easy, a good option IMO. Also if you do buy a B4 through a car yard (Doesn't have to be a Subaru Dealer) you have the added bonus of a warranty (Only good one i've seen is through private/specialty yards) and you can be reasonably confident its been checked over. That said, its always a good idea to do it you're self.

Blaeven's Photo Blaeven 03 Mar 2009

He'd get near 10 for it as a trade in.
Its quick and easy, a good option IMO. Also if you do buy a B4 through a car yard (Doesn't have to be a Subaru Dealer) you have the added bonus of a warranty (Only good one i've seen is through private/specialty yards) and you can be reasonably confident its been checked over.
That said, its always a good idea to do it you're self.

but then he doesn't get the chance to swap all his suspension shit over...

and you pay much more buying from a dealership...

and you aren't guaranteed good quality...

it only took a week after i bought my car for the hole in the exhaust to (re)appear, the rear struts to go bouncy as shit and after a cut and polish, the dodgey paint to appear...

just cos you buy from a dealership doesn't guarantee quality...

besides, you can probably haggle more with an old lady with her low KM liberty, than you can with some guy who does nothing but sell cars and smell bad all day...

I didn't say any of those things are guaranteed. You bought a lemon. Sucked in. I've bought all my cars (valued over 10k at the time of purchase) through dealerships, and I can honestly say I've never had an issue with any that wasn't bought around by my own stupidity.

very smart move on the b4 you've just saved yourself thousands.

however i'd set a realistic price for your rx, i doubt you will get $15k for it. the longer you hold on to it the more it will devalue. best to get rid of it quick to start paying off the new car!

Are you FARKEN NUTS!!!!!!

When I referred his car and listed the mods, the car and it's year, and added the $15k price tag, it was seen as cheap, and half my mates work for Dealerships.....trade in is useless if you're buying a B4 privately, and trade in on a car modded like that is ridiculous. He would get 15k for it easy. He's had it up for EOI for what, under a month, is he dying of terminal-lack-of-boost? Why the hell would he lose 5k up front just to be in a B4 quicker, and depreciate, over what a few months? You have to be sh1tting me!! Rhys if you let it go for 10k I will buy it, and laugh at you.

Alexx realistic price is over 15k, a 2002 RX in the condition Rhys's is (don't show them the circuit photos) would be sold by a dealership for $18-20k, so 10k is an absolute joke. Even your car is worth more than 10k.

Sorry guys....but fark, no wonder the market is underpriced as fark.

Nick

FIND someone who will pay more than 12-13k for it. When B4's are going for under 20k, Rhys' RX has no freaking hope. Your books and 17yr old mates can say what they like. In reality, it will be very very bloody hard to sell that RX for anything more than 12-13k.

FIND someone who will pay more than 12-13k for it.

Already have. And there's a lot of them out there.

When B4's are going for under 20k, Rhys' RX has no freaking hope. Your books and 17yr old mates can say what they like. In reality, it will be very very bloody hard to sell that RX for anything more than 12-13k.

Books?
And Nah Paul they're not 17yr old mates, their Salesmen, Principals, and General Managers, not 17yr olds. They know the prices you can get and don't talk out their ass. You bought a Commodore FFS, there's a reason for the saying "Depreciates like a Holden". To say $10k is the price he should aim for is absolute stupidity, I doubt Rhys would even consider that price. You were always critical of dealerships so I don't why you're in favour of them now, one thing you have proven over time is that you have no idea about a car's worth. Rhys isn't being pressured to sell this, so why resort to such low prices. You know mechanicals Paul, no doubt about that, but fark me when you sell your SS let me know, I'll pay the 2k price tag you put on it due to your flawless pricing system.

Nick

Go out and look at what people are paying. Go and look at what cars are worth. Why the F*ck would anyone pay 15k for an RX when a B4 is a mere $3000 more. (On average.) If you know someone who will pay 15k for it, by all means send him Rhys' way. I'm sure he'd love you to. P.s, Go have a look what an SS goes for f**kwhit. Then, have a squiz at what B4's are worth PRIOR to running your mouth off.

Dylan's Photo Dylan 03 Mar 2009

Lets keep the agro to a minimum in here please guys.

N/A_EJ22's Photo N/A_EJ22 03 Mar 2009

I wouldnt pay 15k for any GX RX LX gen 1,2 or 3 regardless of anything. Unless it had like 15000 kms on it. Rather spend that on a GTB and have change left over probably. And isnt Rhys planning on taking the teins and all the suspension goodies offf the RX before selling?

I wouldnt pay 15k for any GX RX LX gen 1,2 or 3 regardless of anything. Unless it had like 15000 kms on it. Rather spend that on a GTB and have change left over probably. And isnt Rhys planning on taking the teins and all the suspension goodies offf the RX before selling?

Mate I posted a link for 1999 GTB sale for 25k on page 5, so no change left over sorry, and I agree, I wouldn't spend 15k on any GX LX Gen I, II and III regardless of anything, but Rhys's is an MY02 RX with suspension mods, his plan is to sell it with B4 suspension that he'll swap out for his Teins and sways, so it'll be a manual RX with B4 suspension. Worth 15k....yeah.

All this sh1t about 15k B4's is rubbish, they're all 2XX,XXXkms, or have their a*se flogged out, or are in poor condition or are a real quick sale cos' the owner can't meet his repayments.

Paul you can go talk down Subaru's somewhere else, and as for checking the prices? Mate CarSales.com isn't 'the market'. Go work in a Dealership or at least talk to someone who does.

Rhys has priced his car very well. All this talking down of RX's and their prices isn't helping him at all, nor is it helping any other owners.

Sorry Dylan, I know I'm getting uppity, but these are blatant ill informed comments about car prices that can damage all the owners on this site.

Nick

N/A_EJ22's Photo N/A_EJ22 03 Mar 2009

Thats the Gen 3 in Adelaide yeah? Good luck to him. All the GTB's ive seen have been in the 12-13k ish region. These are all Gen 2's though. All im saying is, for that money id buy a GTB.

Mate I posted a link for 1999 GTB sale for 25k on page 5, so no change left over sorry, and I agree, I wouldn't spend 15k on any GX LX Gen I, II and III regardless of anything, but Rhys's is an MY02 RX with suspension mods, his plan is to sell it with B4 suspension that he'll swap out for his Teins and sways, so it'll be a manual RX with B4 suspension. Worth 15k....yeah.

All this sh1t about 15k B4's is rubbish, they're all 2XX,XXXkms, or have their a*se flogged out, or are in poor condition or are a real quick sale cos' the owner can't meet his repayments.

Paul you can go talk down Subaru's somewhere else, and as for checking the prices? Mate CarSales.com isn't 'the market'. Go work in a Dealership or at least talk to someone who does.

Rhys has priced his car very well. All this talking down of RX's and their prices isn't helping him at all, nor is it helping any other owners.

Sorry Dylan, I know I'm getting uppity, but these are blatant ill informed comments about car prices that can damage all the owners on this site.

Nick

You're full of shit.
End of story.

alexGT's Photo alexGT 03 Mar 2009

nik,

do you realise that on ozliberty there is an my02 b4 liberty with 140k on it for $13000. a car is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay!

SHOCK HORROR: http://redbook.com.a...id=11FCE325915A

a lot of people seem to think that mods will increase the value of a car. 9 times out of 10 it WONT! the general consensus is people prefer non modified cars.

no offence, but his suspension mods are only worth what $2-$3k new? so realistically on the car second hand worth maybe $500-$1000.

on a lighter note, would you pay $15k for mine :D:D:D

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 03 Mar 2009

The used car market is up shit creek at the moment, All makes and models are getting harder and harder to sell. People getting desperate for money and the prices fall. If someone will pay XXXX amount for a car then so be it. sell it to them, But to make it grab people attention and make them consider buying it, thats one thing. As for your decision with your car and what path to take. get opinions from others that have one down that path. Not from people who wish that they could have it, As they have no idea except from a catalouge book.

You're full of shit.
End of story.

Paul, I know now that's your reply for when you know you can't add anything and should shut up. You do it every time you've been beaten and shown to be talking shit.

nik,

do you realise that on ozliberty there is an my02 b4 liberty with 140k on it for $13000. a car is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay!

SHOCK HORROR: http://redbook.com.a...id=11FCE325915A

a lot of people seem to think that mods will increase the value of a car. 9 times out of 10 it WONT! the general consensus is people prefer non modified cars.

no offence, but his suspension mods are only worth what $2-$3k new? so realistically on the car second hand worth maybe $500-$1000.

on a lighter note, would you pay $15k for mine :D:D:D

Ha, Redbook. Every car is different, Redbook works on averages, Rhys's is only 128XXX, Dealerships get updates every week on the worth of car trade in and sale. And I can't agree more about the mods, factory always gets a higher buyer, I doubt Rhys's B4 Suspension swap over will add to the value, but it won't depreciate it. And the prices are about right for suspensions worth as well. Hmm your's for 15k, didn't you read Paul and err NAej22's comments? Your car is worthless apparently.

The used car market is up shit creek at the moment, All makes and models are getting harder and harder to sell. People getting desperate for money and the prices fall

Can't agree more been trying to shift a STi for nearly 3months now, 4k price drop and stilll no buyers, although I'm sure Paul would offer 10k "cos' it's used and stuff, and it's not v8". And I know the trouble you had with the Long motor sale and cheap skates.

End of the day, doubt the price will reach $10k. And all this talk is pissing me off as we own a MY03 RX and I can tell you now it's worth more than $10k.

Nick