111 replies to this topic

#1 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hey guys... my parents have got me all worried about legalities regarding my car... you all know the mods i've done to my car... what happens when i take the car to be engineered and they guy won't engineer it because it has a programmable ECU?? i cannot legally drive the car on the road correct??? meaning if i hit someone my insurance won't cover me and i'll have to pay for their insurance costs from my pocket... what about my coilovers, same deal?? (though much more easily fixed) ok, so what if the guy engineers it because he overlooked the ECU... if i hit someone, won't the insurance company search the car, find the ECU and invalidate the claim... meaning i have to pay from my own pocket??? please help me guys.... i'm heaps worried, because if i can't drive the car i may as well sell it to someone in QLD who can get it engineered... (f**k i hate NSW rules)

2mmwi1w.jpg

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Tristan. Make some calls. I doubt anyone here will be able to genuinly give you 100% correct advice. People seem to speculate on what's possible and what's not, and truth be told it may come down to the individual and who they use. I had to get my car blue slipped after the conversion (registration had expired completely) and I got through without cam belt covers, a pod filter and without a washer bottle. Of course all that has now been fixed up, as I advised the kind sir that passed it for me - but ask the RTA about this and it would be a fail. My advice would be to take some time and take the car to see some people, you are allowed to drive the car if you are going to a point of registration / inspection so don't let that worry you too much. Your vehicle is still registered, just be careful driving it to and from the points and you should be OK. I don't know anyone in your area that does any of this sort of work, if you need a hookup up my way (which is a bit far for you) I can make some calls, so just let me know. Best bet - see if you can put the ECU in a factory casing (I don't know if the Vipec is bigger or not) but that may be a way you can help yourself. Coilovers depends - if yours are ADR compliant then you will be ok - I *THINK* Tein's may be the ONLY type that are, but it may be a different series / model to what you are running now. I am guessing that if your car passes engineering and registration with what it is running, and nothing changes between then and (touch wood) an accident, your claim will be valid. You may need to look in to JustCar for insurance as they do give you options of aftermarket bits and pieces (ie. aftermarket ECU). In addition to that, you could always 'move' to QLD and get the car engineer and registered up there, and then just 'work' semi-permanently in Sydney. That way, you could have a QLD registered car. You could probably look in to having a QLD license issued as well rather than your NSW one. Dylan Edit: There's quite a big automotive / industrial area in Artarmon Tristan, I would guess that there is a blue slipper and / or an engineer around there.

#3 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:26 PM

Hey guys...

my parents have got me all worried about legalities regarding my car...

you all know the mods i've done to my car...

what happens when i take the car to be engineered and they guy won't engineer it because it has a programmable ECU??

i cannot legally drive the car on the road correct??? meaning if i hit someone my insurance won't cover me and i'll have to pay for their insurance costs from my pocket...

what about my coilovers, same deal?? (though much more easily fixed)

ok, so what if the guy engineers it because he overlooked the ECU...

if i hit someone, won't the insurance company search the car, find the ECU and invalidate the claim... meaning i have to pay from my own pocket???

please help me guys.... i'm heaps worried, because if i can't drive the car i may as well sell it to someone in QLD who can get it engineered... (f**k i hate NSW rules)

i mentioned this to you before the conversion started. engineering is a must especially with such a big modification to the vehicle. i'd peel the sticker off the ECU if there is one to make it look standard, either that or make some phonecalls first and do some research into modifications and engineering. from what i last read (not sure on the truthness to it) is that aftermarket computers were illegal, however as i said do some research first.

coilovers should be fine provided they are at a correct height, as these could have been a replacement for stuffed standard shocks.

but yes if you have a prang and one of your mods isnt listed and they find out (which they probably will when they assess the car) your claim will be declined and you will have to foot the bill from your own pocket, alternatively if you hit someone they will probably sue you!

edit: btw i dont know if the QLD laws will be much easier than NSW either...

MY07 GT spec B

#4 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

wouldn't i be better off being upfront to the engineer about the ECU... cos if i hide it and it's found later then there could be trouble... and why would just car offer insurance covering aftermarket computers if they are illegal??? could i get it engineered but tell just car about all my mods?? somehow i don't think they'd like that...

2mmwi1w.jpg

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:59 PM

Why not find places. Then take the car there and have a chat about it. BEST way of sorting this out IMO.

#6 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

Why not find places. Then take the car there and have a chat about it. BEST way of sorting this out IMO.

+1. No point speculating on a forum with people who ultimately can't tell you 100%...

Doooo eeeet!!

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#7 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

yeah i've been wondering about this stuff too as i've got the haltech in mine now. I'm hopefully going to get a blue slip tomorrow and try and get it all engineered next wednesday. I figured i'd just take it in and see. The mods have been done so it's to late to go back now

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#8 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:19 PM

The mods have been done so it's to late to go back now

qftt

i'll take it for a blue slip and see if the guy reckons i need a certificate...

one step at a time hey?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#9 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

OMFG. Stop being a girl and get your head together. Stop crystal balling, and do as others have said. Go talk to a few engineers and see what happens. And if you decide to sell, give me a call. Seriously!
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#10 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure what its like for NSW people, but in Perth, you just take the car to the RTA equiv and the guy checks it over and says xxx, yyyy, zzzz etc needs to be sorted. Sort the issue, take it back etc etc.

Stuff goes here

#11 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:29 PM

qftt

haha i had to google that ;)

signature_1_35.jpg

#12 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

Mate i never heard of anyone not being pased for having an aftermarket ECU that is programable unless its inteanded for race use only... Oh and p.s dont listen to your parents they never did anything like that so no expirance there, but at least they are advasing u in the right direction to get it all leagal...
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#13 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:39 PM

perfect

signature_1_35.jpg

#14 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:42 PM

haha i had to google that ;)

lol, same... urban ftw.

Urban Dictionary: qftt
qftt - 1 definition - Quoted for the truth. ... 1. qftt. Quoted for the truth. "haha you got owned"

would be a shame if you had to sell it man... Im sure some of the guys on rexnet/rslib have done crazier mods and have been passed yes/no?

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#15 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:13 PM

yeh... i just need to calm down a bit and ignore my parents a little bit more... i'll let you all know

2mmwi1w.jpg

#16 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

I have read the RTA guidelines etc in side out (dad gets the ammended copy every year because he does pink/blueslips)I am certain that if you get it engineered then it will be fine so long as you tell the insurance company that you have it when you insure the car... chances are they will never look that closely at the car anyways.. most insurance asses's have a general knowledge of cars some even slighltly better but not too many would ever bother lifting the carpet and opening up the ECU compartment thingy... seriously they just wont. Call some engineers.. you dont have to give out your name and just ask "will you engineer my car with an aftermarket ECU?" you will get a def answer then from someone who will know for sure.

#17 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:02 AM

man, Don't mean to offend, but wog's definitely have all this shit down pat Ecu replaced caused standard one died Shocks replaced cause they were busted. You people all worry too much, drive the c**t and stop crying like a little girl, don't act like a hero on the road! And insure the car in dads name, and allow under 25 drivers. Oh and ecu IS LEGAL

#18 DRIVER

DRIVER

Trusted Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:49 AM

easy way around the ECU issue is get your old ecu the standard one take the guts out of it and screw the aftermarket one in and place it where the original was meant to be, ive done it with cars that have race use ecu's which are ilegal in road cars and they are engenieered and legal now...
Posted Image
I dont give a f*ck how fast it is....there's no joy in threatening people.

#19 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

There you go :P thats an idea for you :D :P

#20 WillC

WillC

Scrappy Coco the 2nd! Disc0 Disc0

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Interests:Suby, HOONda, Chasing magical unicorns, turbos. Fruit loops
    Most things with a pulse. Most things that tick and have electric.

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:29 AM

man,

Don't mean to offend, but wog's definitely have all this shit down pat

Ecu replaced caused standard one died
Shocks replaced cause they were busted.

You people all worry too much, drive the c**t and stop crying like a little girl, don't act like a hero on the road! And insure the car in dads name, and allow under 25 drivers.

Oh and ecu IS LEGAL

Hi Blaeven,

Sorry bit offtopic railroading here,

hey .. Brendan.. for insurance purposes ... i still haven't figured out exactly what standard and whats not..

Can you let me know what you know of thats not standard on the car..

Or do i have everything down.

Intake - CAI
FULLY SICK EXHAUST
ECU - remapped ? (does this even count. ? like its the same computer right?)
Clutch, BOV
10KW sticker
HID lights

Cheers

Will C

Toy's Garry

Address : 8/88 Seville Street
Fairfield East NSW 2161
PH : (02) 9755 9882

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users